Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been riding for years, but came across in awesome deal for 5000km on a Z1000 - couldn't pass it up, so I nabbed it. I want to convert the bike to a sport touring, intend on doing some stuff to help that

But I need a tall touring windshield, preferably adjustable. I know madstad created an adjustable windscreen for the Ninja 1000sx but I don't know if that will fit this bike or not as its a naked bike with I think different bars. Not sure on that one.

Essentially I'm looking for something that I can remain upright proper riding, not hunched over. I'm going to put givi soft saddle bags and my current v47 givi top case on the back on a rack. This bike has the power I want, but it needs some help with the windshield for sure.

I know givi / kappa has the airflow design. On my curretn 2005 DL650 I have that windshield and I'm debating buying another one of those and rigging something up, however before I go the hack and slash route I'm looking at options that are out there.

I plan on adding heated grips and a 16/39 sprocket change for highway riding. Bike has a broad front end so I think that will help deflect some of the airflow to help touring. The windscreen is definately very high up there on the need to do first list. These little sport bike bubble windscreens are not going to cut it for me anymore at 45 years of age.

I had my days with sport bikes hunched over, now I'm into a different thing. I chose this platform as its a good jack of all trades master of none, but has a lot to offer in the context of what one wants the bike to be.

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hey man! Welcome! I have 'some' wind screen knowledge but yeah, limited.

I took a pic of the stock screen compared to the Zero Gravity Double Bubble tall screen. The ZG doesn't look like much but I had 'Zero' (ha!) issues with it on my three day boogie. It's adjustable in that you can add longer spacers to the top two screws that hold it -to push it fwd. 2nd and 3rd pics have those spacers in place.

It's not a cruiser wind screen -obviously, lol BUT (for me) the ZGDB is my go-to touring screen. --For those looking to flip up a modular helmet and light up a smoke while riding, then this is the wrong bike for that.

4th and 5th pics show the Kawasaki OEM 'tall' screen. Tis my fav for everything else. -but still run the stock screen every now and then :cool:

...and because I'm a pic ***** -grin, I've added a shot of the Ermax sport screen. Least fav but looks ahhite.

weeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike - I actually have the same windscreen on the bike right now. I just want to explore the options for a larger screen than a bubble. I've owned FZ-1's in the past as well as others. This bike fits in the same hole, the FZ-1 had a much higher screen and served me well a number of years back. I'm looking for something like that, it doesn't need to be something that I drink a coffee with, but basically takes the chill out of the air and lets me sit more upright than hunching over. Hunching over for 2-3 hours is not in the cards for me anymore.

I know this bike can be a lot of things for a lot of people thats the beauty of the platform.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
:)

Agreed. I think ZG makes one taller. Puig maybe?

I don't remember hunching over or the wind bothering me. I think I remember the wind hitting me about mid forehead in a normal position (5'9"). But then again I have the mentality of riding a naked and not caring much about the wind. :) (57 yrs young) -wrists, shoulders, hands, knees, feet all abused for two decades playing sports.

After my return from the three day journey, I felt like going out for a ride. Weird, but I felt good. Luv the Zed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the Puig up and down univeral. I emailed madstad to see what they have to offer. Again I also have a 3d printer so I can cad up some adapters if needed and use a Givi / Kappa Airflow windscreen. I like the idea of a movable windscreen to try different things for different days / riding conditions. I think my Z1000 is going to be a lot different than the ones I've seen on this site. It should be a lot of fun. I want the power, but I also want the bike to do a different role than streetfighter.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Bet that printer with the cad knowledge can be fun. Please keep us posted on what you come up with.

One of these days, I'll make (and weld) brackets for side panniers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think the panniers need to stick off the a55 of the bike a lil' but, the sides of the original rear tail fender with original license plate holder. I think if its either side direct of the rear seat its going to be really close to either exhaust

1 - 7 of 7 Posts