Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a Ford all the way to Dallas TX Friday night and bought a thing.

2012 Yamaha WR450F

Already added a new sticker.

Within 10 minutes of having it out of the truck I was already modding it. Pull the spark arrestor out of the muffler because it was plugged up with soot and causing running issues. Also cut the end of the clutch lever off to shorten it up so I could move it over and still clear the hand guard. Also removed the bar mounted kill switch since it was in the way of moving the clutch lever.

Reactions: mackb

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Niiiiice. My 650 buy is on hold at the moment. What's the first thing you're gonna change? Aside from the lever cut and spark arrestor...

'03 Z

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna swap the headlight out for HID so I can actually see where I'm going at night. Also need to put a key ignition on it so it isn't as easy to steal. Right now you just poke the power button and it will let you start it.

Then I'm gonna get black fork guards so I can put my white I <3 Sluts sticker on it, then will probably install a trail tech. Also gonna move the licence plate under the fender like we did my buddys WR and trim the fender down since I wont need the tag mount sticking out back there.

It's also going to need some seat work. My *** feels like it is bruised from riding for about 6 hours yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and I want black wheels with blue hubs, and I bought some new grips for it yesterday which I'll probably put on tonight. It has the factory waffle grips that are worn smooth on it.

Reactions: JYDjr

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay so I've been looking.

Sicassracing key switch. It has a fuel light built in it and is plug and play to replace the stock button. - $55 - ORDERED
Acerbis black fork covers. - $35 - ORDERED
Tag light bolts - $12 - ORDERED
HID Headlight - $91 - ORDERED
Wheels - $?
Trail tech - $77 or 120 depending on what model I decide on.
Handguard triple clamp mount adapters - $38 - ORDERED

The list will grow as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I want the $4XX trailtech with the REAL gps (topographical maps and all). The wheels are what's gonna break the bank for you. RADmfg hub in the rear, and an excel talon in the front, with excel rims (wheel hoops) is gonna run well over a grand.

'03 Z

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 2 sets of plain excel wheels right now. I can rock the silver wheels till I rebuild my bank account.

Looking at how the GYTR programmer works now so I can pull a little fuel from my map and then use it to remap my buddy's bike. His is really lean. The header glows all the way to the expansion chamber. Mine runs really rich. The spark arrestor was almost completely plugged with soot.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well you're off to a good start with spare wheels. I want two full sets for offroad options. Lately ive been wonderin if i really want sumo wheels as idk if its worth it (to me) since I'll run offroad a lot.

I forgot the WRs are fuel injected. Pretty cool! You'll have tons of fun with that.

'03 Z

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2012 is when they went FI.

I haven't decided if I want 17"s or not yet. I don't like the way they look but I mostly run street. I need to look at tire options in the 21/18 combo to see if I can find something with a longer lifespan.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The should have a pretty good hard compound thats not aggressive at all and doesn't let the front end drift too much. Idk about how low you'll be able to lean though... As long as the tire is there you'll be able to drag knee, pegs, handlesbar, anything you can hold on for lol.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Oh and I want black wheels with blue hubs, and I bought some new grips for it yesterday which I'll probably put on tonight. It has the factory waffle grips that are worn smooth on it.
Get the street set up. The little bit I've rode my 690 on the street is great. I think it will be a lot of smiles down the road. Your friend and you should load up and head to the Gap this summer. If it would work out maybe myself and a friend could be there too.:eek:ccasion: Don't know if I'll try to bring both bikes most likely just the 690 this time.:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We offroad too much for street slicks. It would have to be the 10% knobby style tires. But even then it's kinda sketchy.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Headlight and switch have been ordered.

Reactions: cooldudesmd

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Get the street set up. The little bit I've rode my 690 on the street is great. I think it will be a lot of smiles down the road. Your friend and you should load up and head to the Gap this summer. If it would work out maybe myself and a friend could be there too.:eek:ccasion: Don't know if I'll try to bring both bikes most likely just the 690 this time.:dontknow:

I'll go up there with you guys and keep up the rear on the Z while yall hooligan it up

'03 Z

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I was mislead on the key switch. It is the same style my buddy has so I wasted $20 ordering it instead of the cheaper one. Oh well, it will cost more than $20 to return it and buy the other one.

Got the tag lights on order, got the fork guards in and waiting for the trail tech so I can install them. They don't have the channel molded in them for the stock speed sensor cable so it is going to get in the tire if I install them now.

Installed the hand guard brackets and they wont work. The hand guards wont line up. I'm guessing due to the handlebar on the bike. I'm gonna check out the RM Low bar to see if I like it because they should work with it. My buddy wants my handlebar anyways.

I've shortened up and cleaned up all the wiring under the headlight to make room for the HID kit to be installed. Also ran a harness and wired in a relay for the tail light. It was hooked direct to power so you had to remember to turn it on and off every time you got on the bike. So I was good at leaving it on when I get off the bike as well as getting halfway to my destination with no tail or brake light. Now I can leave the switch on and it will turn on/off with the bike, but I have the option of shutting it off if I want to.

Got tired of working on the bike and haven't installed the HID yet. But I did switch to a different map with the GYTR programmer. Starts easier and runs much better. Wheelies also feel better on this bike than they do on the Z.

Time to order a speed sensor delete and a trailtech. Also looking at getting a sticker kit for it to cover up some imperfections in the plastic.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speed sensor delete should be here Friday. Waiting to see if any of the bike part sites have sales this weekend to order the trailtech.

Gave up on the mounts for the handguards and put the Cycra factory Yamaha hand guards on my bike. They are pretty compared to the regular hand guards.

Here is the cleaned up wiring.

Here is how the triple mounts wouldn't work.

Here is the relay I installed, laying on the rear fender.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, tag light bolts should be here Friday so I can relocate the tag and trim the fender down to look better.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts