Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 06 z1000, after falling over on right side while idling it now has a heavy knock on right side of engine that increases with rpm, pulled stator cover, plugs, turning motor over by hand with a breaker bar it's smooth except in one place it binds a little then it "skips" a little, no resistance, then back to smooth.
Anything other than smooth consistent 360° rotation is bottom end right. Please HELP.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I am not a Mechanic but a couple of times following accidents before a bike eventually started, either through push starting or waiting 20 minutes, I too experienced a heavy knock without the bike starting up.

But I have a suspicion that if you have gone through the trouble of doing all this as you detailed, you too have had many falls before & experienced a similar knocking that was resolved.

Did you wait some time & try starting it again or did you immediately go through the diagnostic process?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waited 2 hrs to crank, started just fine but was knocking instantly, I'm familiar with cars, 0 experience with bikes but it sounds heavy, visual inspection of chain and cams, just can't fathom it falling over while idling would do this, ran perfect before, killed engine within 30 sec of falling...

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
You are way ahead of me in this one Mate.

Was there any deformity of the Cases?

Was it a hard* fall or soft?

Have you tried laying it all the way over on its left side - worth a try.
20200319_165331_resized.jpg
20200318_214456_resized.jpg
20200326_000440_resized.jpg
20200319_165444_resized.jpg

*I was sideswiped 18 days ago & the bike landed on my body, the Puig Frame Slider & eventually the crankcase - what you can see ground down on the crankcase & what was left of the Slider is similar to what happened to the left side of my body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. Idling on kickstand, knocked over down hill,bottom of tires highest point ...turning engine over by hand, it's gotta be bearings by everything I know, just don't want to accept it I guess.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
If all is lost anyway, I think you should still lay it over all the way to the left side & let it sit for a moment or two.

Even try it running a second time laying it all the way over to the left.

========================

Are you saying it now idles?

Without the noise?

Or with the noise at high rpm?

Does it sound like a lower bearing noise or up high?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it was idling when it fell over, noise is there always now, heavy knock that you can feel if you put hand on crankcase.

·
Registered
206 Posts
you might try - with the spark plugs out, and the throttle side engine covers off, try putting it in 2nd gear and rolling it to turn it over, then maybe 4th gear pulling clutch in and out too

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why? Motor still runs, just knocks loudly
How hard was when you felt down 18 days ago? Did the bike hit something else after you fall down?
I felt down on my left side on mine when I was waiting to make a left turn on an intersection and scratched the side cover but it didn’t have any noise after that. I did replaced my cover.
Did you replace yours already or you still have you damaged one ?
I would say order a new cover and swap it and see it the noise goes away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you turn it over using a breaker bar and socket on crank bolt at stator, spark plugs removed the resistance is steady about 345° then slight bind, then no resistance at all, like your not turning crank, rods and pistons, then back to consistent the rest of 360°
Any engine rebuilders here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you turn it over using a breaker bar and socket on crank bolt at stator, spark plugs removed the resistance is steady about 345° then slight bind, then no resistance at all, like your not turning crank, rods and pistons, then back to consistent the rest of 360°
Any engine rebuilders here?
Have you got to the bottom of what this was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, small piece of a metal gear meshed in between the crank gear and the transmission gear pulled it,out, running fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to hear. I was curious as mine has had a low speed drop on the right hand side as well and it's making a horrid noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never did fig where the metal came from, it was stuck in valley of gears, once it was removed and bike back together it had a light knock at first but even that went away after a few miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It could be some pieces of the doggear?eventually causing thr false neutrals. (Not common, but a known Z gearbox issue)

The only way to see that is to take out the whole gearbox.

Keep that in mind when more gearbox issues show up.

For niw , good to hear the noise is gone.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts