Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
SWINGING DICKS IN THE URINAL ASIDE

We used the 101 Highway between Ventura & Woodland Hills at 3am - its 3 & sometimes 5 lanes wide - we were not playing around - we had pace cars ahead & everyone but me was in constant cell communication - there was little traffic & we were high beaming everyone out of the way - I know the 155 & the 165pm on the car vehicle speedometers are accurate & when I pulled away, I was gone within a few hundred meters & I was fully covered in all the safety gear I couldnt afford as a young man - we made several passes & the difference was the radically modified gearing changes - very little vibration - some say the speedo was off by 5mph - you are probably right - maybe I was 5mph off - maybe I was only doing 295kmh at least a couple of times or maybe it was 306kmh as I wasn't looking at the Speedo after 155 mph - but it was by far the fastest I have ever been - these guys race all the time on tracks - they are competent & mature & we were there for a one time purpose for me anyway - it's off my bucket list & I am such a far more capable rider & person than I was at 19 in New Zealand racing past my Mates on the Meremere Straight at 260kmh in my Suzuki Katana 750, in a helmet but with my gumboots on & a farm singlet racing past their datsun 1200 pick up to repair fencing in another farm - stupid yes but so very young & alive & I wouldn't trade a Lotto Win for such a Lifetime of positive excitement & growth & to perhaps head into the next & last 20 minutes or twenty years finally owning my dream bike & making it mine, the 2016 Z1000 ...

Coronavirus aside - Life is Wonderful

And in the light of Coronavirus, Life is even better.

I just had the chance to ride around LAX Airport & the empty industrial roads - its takes 40 years off my Being everytime I put my legs over her.

We are no longer taking ourselves so seriously & I hope you are enjoying the Freedoms & Joy's our bikes grant us, for those of us lucky to be able to ride now.

Hallelujah Z1000 Lovers ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let yous know what the result felt for you - are you buying it online & installing it yourself?

The shop that worked on mine may or may not have also removed one link in the chain - next time I am I shall ask.
Hey Doc, I did order them online. My rear sprocket came in today (JTR 1489.40t), and front sprocket (JTF 1537. 16t) and chain will arrive by Wednesday. I was hoping to do it my self. I have a front and rear stand, torque wrench, and most of the tools necessary to complete the job. I"m mechanically inclined, yet this will be my first time. Is it pretty hard to do by yourself? Ive read the front sprocket is the hardest. I read you have to either hold the rear brake or zip tie the front when removing the bolt that holds the front sprocket on..I will def let y'all know how it all turns out!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Thank you for the question Mate but even though I am mechanically inclined, with this bike I have the shops do everything - for me personally it's simply too much power, on just two wheels - plus this shop is fantastic - at 57 I want to be concentrating only on the riding experience (not worrying if that little wobble* is becauseI didn't tighten up or overtightended something), & controlling the bike is just one aspect of many if you know what I mean.

If it was a dirt bike, no problem.

Search the threads, there has to be a hundred good answers & everything in between.

Be prepared to take a link out of the chain.**

Please let me know if your model had a chain guide?

I promise you that your bike will need to be ridden differently to access the torque & the screaming top end (mine did), but you immediately get about 32mph/55kmh higher top speed with much less vibration.

Let us know that top speed when it's safe to do so - we are lucky with the roads here in the USA being built for speed but NONE of us want you to go down so no rush, no expectation. And no need for a video. We trust you. YOU ARE GOING TO BE DO VERY HAPPY ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY.

*hasnt happened to me yet
**chain was stock with 1300 miles
**it appears there all different chain types also, plus being an older model I am sure the chain was changed. Of the differences, many others here have the technical knowledge as to the best application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the question Mate but even though I am mechanically inclined, with this bike I have the shops do everything - for me personally it's simply too much power, on just two wheels - plus this shop is fantastic.

If it was a dirt bike, no problem.

Search the threads, there has to be a hundred good answers & everything in between.

Be prepared to take a link out of the chain.*

Please let me know if your model had a chain guide?

I promise you that your bike will need to be ridden differently to access the torque & the screaming top end (mine did), but you immediately get about 32mph/55kmh higher top speed with much less vibration.

*chain was stock with 1300 miles
*it appears there all different chain types also, plus being an older model I am sure the chain was changed. Of the differences, many others here have the technical knowledge as to the best application.
Thanks a lot for getting back to me! I ended up going to my local shop and they just installed them for me in less than an hour! The handling is so much better and no more vibration. And for the first time I wasn't searching for the imaginary 7th gear! The speedo is def mostly on point now too. I was cruising in 5th gear going 85 and could've sworn I was in 6th. This was the best mod I've done so far. Thanks for all of your help Dr!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My pleasure Mate !

I am just coasting on the shoulders of all the experts* here.

*I was actually confused by what I read here, so much conjecture, etc & it's my Motorcycle Mechanic, Jason & his crew at Gemini Motorsports in Chatsworth, Los Angeles who said "I think this is exactly what you want after test riding it.

He is the best in Los Angeles - unfortunately 95% of the aftermarket upgrades were put on in one day at a local Chopper store of whom I knew the guys & I could walk to - all of my work is done by Jason usually & I wish that I did everything from scratch here instead.

I told him to ride it hard before he suggested what I needed - and I think he did. His gearing recommendations was Spot On.

The only thing I couldnt get him to do was drive along beside me in a car at 100mph to check the speedo reading.

First test ride without the modifications the first words out of his mouth without me saying anything were "You know this isnt a pure sports bike right, it's all about low end power & torque with lots of engine braking. But it's the short wheel base & its unusual Rake* & with that hard suspension you really have to know your limits** on this bike. It feels "twitchy ...!"

*not an exact quote
**I am not a boy racer, that 300kmh one time trial was on the longest safest Straights we could find at 3am

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
With the gearing change you did based along with the previous owner's changes, your top speed should go to 167-172mph.

NOT THAT I AM ADVOCATING RIDING AT THAT SPEED but even your more subtle changes make it a much better, more enjoyable, less frenetic ride.

My more aggressive gearing absolutely changed my experience into pure joy - as it was we already have enough power to leave everyone behind at the lights but previously it's all about keeping the front wheel on the ground & playing Racerboy through the gears.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Any technical info you can share about the chain guide modification if it was needed or not?

What size chain are you running?

Etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any technical info you can share about the chain guide modification if it was needed or not?

What size chain are you running?

Etc.
The chain guide didn’t need any modifications. I have a D.I.D. Vx 525 112 link chain. The way it handles is WAY different. I’m still getting used to riding it in its configuration now. I’m getting it put on the Dyno next week and having a custom map programed on my phone pc5. It’s been quite windy as of late, so the fastest I’ve gotten her up to is 135. I was in 6th gear with plenty of rpms left in reserve

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Questions for you; is it easier to ride in terms of less gear changes, more time in each gear, etc?

13 years between models* & your sprocket changes were less drastic but for me;

*in terms of technical knowledge of each model, etc I am more of a Rider than a numbers guy so when Koggs (another Z Zealot), tells me he prefers the gearing on his model year for his personal riding experience, I agree wholeheartedly. Again, I didn't want to do 300kmh, this was just a one time bucket list check Mark, I simply wanted a more rideable bike

1. Its still a Z but its probably not as quick to 70mph but the difference is as close as that found splitting a ginger ***** hair.*

2. But I dont have to go through 6 gears to get there (it does 70mph at 7500rpm in second).

3. I have to invest less energy knowing where the front wheel is up until 3rd gear (a big positive for me).

4. There is so much more space between the gear changes driving around town that it's much less energy lost which means it so much more pleasurable to ride.

5. After 70mph the vibration prior to the change was annoying, esp. in the right hand.

Even after 170-185mph, any vibration I felt, wasnt noticeable but I was focused on staying in control.

6. I think my Gas Mileage improved but I never bought this bike for saving gas.

I don't think anyone did.

7. Yes, my drastic gearing change require me to invest more energy winding the Throttle into the high rpms before changing - but once mastered, it's a blessing indeed.

And I think this is what you are experiencing right now - 2 more hours on the bike & I know you too will feel it's worth it.

*I have never tried to split a ginger ***** hair intentionally but I cannot vouch for my tongue ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Questions for you; is it easier to ride in terms of less gear changes, more time in each gear, etc?

13 years between models* & your sprocket changes were less drastic but for me;

*in terms of technical knowledge of each model, etc I am more of a Rider than a numbers guy so when Koggs (another Z Zealot), tells me he prefers the gearing on his model year for his personal riding experience, I agree wholeheartedly. Again, I didn't want to do 300kmh, this was just a one time bucket list check Mark, I simply wanted a more rideable bike

1. Its still a Z but its probably not as quick to 70mph but the difference is as close as that found splitting a ginger * hair.*

2. But I dont have to go through 6 gears to get there (it does 70mph at 7500rpm in second).

3. I have to invest less energy knowing where the front wheel is up until 3rd gear (a big positive for me).

4. There is so much more space between the gear changes driving around town that it's much less energy lost which means it so much more pleasurable to ride.

5. After 70mph the vibration prior to the change was annoying, esp. in the right hand.

Even after 170-185mph, any vibration I felt, wasnt noticeable but I was focused on staying in control.

6. I think my Gas Mileage improved but I never bought this bike for saving gas.

I don't think anyone did.

7. Yes, my drastic gearing change require me to invest more energy winding the Throttle into the high rpms before changing - but once mastered, it's a blessing indeed.

And I think this is what you are experiencing right now - 2 more hours on the bike & I know you too will feel it's worth it.

I have never tried to split a ginger **** hair intentionally but I cannot vouch for my tongue ...
To answer your question:
Gear changes are a lot more spread out now. No more intense vibration at 70+mph, no more searching for a “7th” gear. I’ve gotten the bike up to 160 on a backroad and still had some more rpms in reserve. I can now keep up with my friends who ride yzf R1’s and Gsxr 1000’s.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Mate,
This is fantastic!
For me, anything over 125mph starts to become white knuckle stuff & a sure way to lose my License & pay money for the privilege of Fines.
Very happy for you.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Just got my parts installed & decided that my gearing was WAY TOO HIGH at least temporarily.

I have a 2016 Z1000 which stock was either a 14 or 15* Front sprocket & a 43 Rear.

Went to 16 front & 41 rear.

It felt like it was so much easier to ride but that winding howl that Z's are famous for was missing.

Yesterday I went down to 15 from 16 but kept the rear gearing & WOW, THE BEAST IS BACK & ITS SO MUCH MORE FUN TO RIDE & YES, LESS TIME IN EACH GEAR BUT STILL A BLAST.

*the book says stock on 2016 is 14 but my bike was built in the last 2 months of production so the factory set up might be different - bottom line; mechanic said ny stock was a 15.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Are you still enjoying the ride?

My going up 1 on the front sprocket & down 2 on the rear produced a sport bike that was so much more relaxing to ride on a 2016.

But it was too high geared.

Just got the bike back & I went down to 15 on the front & left the rear with 2 down.

OMG!

The BEAST IS BACK.

A little vibration but nothing problematic & the bike just screams & howls through the gears like a Z always should but with the higher gearing retained in the rear it gives me more time in each gear.

Doing 187-192 was a one time experience anyway, 125 is my typical limit - the Police are already frothing at the mouth at 1mph over 100.

My presumption after 900 miles, these bikes are made to scream, howl & fly!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts