Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 z1000. I'm loving the bike on many levels, but once I'm at 80 mph I find myself a little disappointed. The bike then becomes buzzy and then seems to unsmoothingly struggle after.

Am I being naive in what the machine aught to do? I see civics passing me at this speed limit smoothly and I thought this bike's max was suppose to be 150 mph.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I just bought a 2010 z1000. I'm loving the bike on many levels, but once I'm at 80 mph I find myself a little disappointed. The bike then becomes buzzy and then seems to unsmoothingly struggle after.

Am I being naive in what the machine aught to do? I see civics passing me at this speed limit smoothly and I thought this bike's max was suppose to be 150 mph.
I'm thinking you need to open the throttle more.

also, you bought a wheelie machine, and it sounds like you may have wanted a race replica.

re: buzzy

Yeah, it vibrates noticeably in the 6k rpm range. Note that it revs to 10,500, and use it if you want to go fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like I'm just being a hypochondriac with my bike. Just wanted to make sure everything was working right, thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Perhaps the previous owner changed the gearing? How many rpm's at 80 now? A popular mod for this bike is to switch from 15/43 to 16/43 gearing to better use the torque and lower the highway revs and buzziness.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I had similar feelings on my 2016.

Feel like you could take off in 3rd gear & get to 70mph in 6th gear & it feels like you are in 4th gear, the first week I was always pulling in the clutch trying to change into a higher gear - plus too many wheelstands & a twitchy when the wheel touches the ground at speed - was very frustrated indeed - it was running 15* & 43 out of the factory & my mechanic went 16 & 41 - so much more fun to ride around town & it will now hit 187**mph but it's much less taxing to ride anywhere be it town or the freeway.

*that is what the told me they took off
**I will never, ever do this again - terrifying on the 101 at 3am

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
PS. Supposedly 14 - 43 is stock.

PPS. On the 2016, to put a 16 tooth sprocket on you have to remove the Chain Guard an internal piece screwed on the inside of the Sprocket Cover that scrapes against the chain otherwise (or it did with my bike).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Eh... you didn't do 187 unless you had it verified with a GPS. Motorcycle speedos are hopelessly optimistic.

Mad

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I am NOT a 57 year old Guy Martin ...

Eh... you didn't do 187 unless you had it verified with a GPS. Motorcycle speedos are hopelessly optimistic.

Mad
Trust me when I say although I was facing the road in front of me, the last thing I was checking was the gauges especially after it passed 9000 revs.

I had the cars pace me to 155 & 165 & then I pulled away - plus my mechanic at Gemini Motorsports in Chatsworth used a calculation.

He is the one who suggested the electronic Speedohealer device.

Please do not ask me to repeat this.

PS. Apart from some other modifications including the Sprocket, I havent changed the wheel/tire diameters.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I hear you ...

Gearing for these bikes are low. They are more designed for around town/stop and go/crusing type of excursions instead of all out highway blasts.
Unfortunately it was just geared way too low for the open streets of Los Angeles - too much gear changing for my personal preference

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Correction; my Bike did 187-193mph.

Did some gear checks today & with the change in sprockets in second gear it does 72 mph at 7000 revs, 3rd gear I got to 90mph plus at 7000 revs & backed off.

Yes it changes the character of the bike slightly & it's not as exhilarating going from 1-70mph with the gear changes BUT I have 4 more gears to use & its so much easier to riide.

Info; from 15* & 43 on a late 2016 build I went to 16** & 41.

*supposedly 14 was stock.

*they said this was what they took off & I know the previous owner didnt modify it

**we were going to go 17 but even at 16 we had to remove the internal case guide behind the sprocket cover as it was scraping against the chain.

Maybe some of you tech guys would know the answers to the chain guide issue, it was the original chain

·
Registered
4 Posts

Lean forward and fully open throttle, if not momentarily in triple digits you better see a mechanic

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar feelings on my 2016.

Feel like you could take off in 3rd gear & get to 70mph in 6th gear & it feels like you are in 4th gear, the first week I was always pulling in the clutch trying to change into a higher gear - plus too many wheelstands & a twitchy when the wheel touches the ground at speed - was very frustrated indeed - it was running 15* & 43 out of the factory & my mechanic went 16 & 41 - so much more fun to ride around town & it will now hit 187**mph but it's much less taxing to ride anywhere be it town or the freeway.

*that is what the told me they took off
**I will never, ever do this again - terrifying on the 101 at 3am
Odd as my stock 03 is at 120 mph, 9K rpm as I clicking into 5th, pushin it to 10K rpm in 6th is at 150...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Hey Wicked,
Like Koggs & most of the other owners here, we bought for the Z for how it makes us feel versus the 55 mph finger pointing elephants in the room.

With the original gearing from 70-140mph in top gear, that was it, maybe I could have gotten 150mph but I only had the bike for a week & the vibration esp on the right grip was pronounced indeed.

To go 1 (possibly 2 upon the front sprocket if I had in fact a 14 versus what my mechanicsaid was a 15), & then two down to 41 on the rear, was a huge modification but it worked for me.

You have an 03, does anyone else here get those same numbers & or are you the original owner as in; was the gearing stock?

I do know the 03 versus the 2016 are very different bikes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just seen this thread....80mph mines champing at the bit to go (still on standard gearing) thats the sweet spot for mine, between 80 and 120 is where it pulls like a train...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Comfy you have excited me into taking my bike out this afternoon - damn the torpedoes & my aching body - this keyboard warrior stuff is no replacement for the real thing ...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yep - mines still waiting for its test ride after refitting the swingarm....trying to abide by the rules...although i am going to sneak out tomorrow afternoon as im renovating my dads bike (he passed away 6 years ago) and the frame and swing arm are now powder coated....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts