Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please let me know what is going on. It started off after about 20 minutes of street and mostly highway riding. First my bike started over revving while giving minimal power to the wheels. Example-> I would be in fifth gear at nearly 10,000 rpms struggling to reach 70mph. I let the bike sit for about an hour but was forced to take the fateful ride home before my bike was stranded outside, in New Orleans, with rain approaching. As I began to ride the same problem occurred and drastically got to the point where my bike would not exceed ten miles per hour at this point I found an exit on the interstate and waited till my friend could come pick me up with his truck. I get the bike home and start it just to make sure the motor wasn't locked up or anything. The bike starts fine, I rev it in neutral slightly and the motor sounds fine. I then put it in first and ease of the clutch and the bike goes no where. Does anyone know what this is? I know it's going to cost but how much is the question. The bike is also a 2010 so I don't see why I would be having such a serious problem so soon. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.:dontknow:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow, 2010! That sounds like you have lost your clutch. It might be time to change plates and go with some heavy duty springs. It shouldn't have happened for another 20,000 miles or more. Is it under warranty? I would say adjustment but after having to ride it home I bet the steel plates are blue and the friction plates are glazed. Bummer, I hope it is something cheaper.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
clutch slip, you must be a animal. i have 16,000 on my org clutch.
Almost 28,000 miles on my orginal clutch, and I can still pull the front wheel up easily...:dontknow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help I'm going to start the surgery tomorrow and I do what I can notabiker lol I haven't even cleared 1000 miles on it! If it's not a simple fix it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
you might be lucky and need to loosen the clutch ADJ. as the clutch gets worn the adj goes away. loosen the cable adj so you have some play in the clutch lever on the engine case.
I was thinkin the same thing on my way home last night.... Don't know why I was thinking about this, but it popped into my head. :dontknow::D

·
Registered
752 Posts
At 1000 miles, the dealership should have adjusted the clutch cable correctly (after all, you just had it in there for the 600 miles service, right?) So if its that, whatever damage is their responsibility!!! That, or warranty.

Clutch isnt that much to replace... prolly around $200 for parts, then labor - again, you shouldnt be paying a dime for it!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If it turns out that the cable was too tight and loosening it cures the problem.I would pull the clutch plates and resurface them to pevent anymore chance of early clutch failure not to mention just to improve clutch feel.I have done this in the past to several bikes with great results and longevity.Plus its free insurance of being stuck somewhere with glazed plates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does anyone have recommendations on a how to video? Concept seems simple just want to make sure im looking at the right pieces.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
does anyone have recommendations on a how to video? Concept seems simple just want to make sure im looking at the right pieces.
I would take it to your dealer and have them show you how.... It would be the least they could do.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bump it to a dealer. I get the distinct impression that you don't really have the know how to be working on your bike. Better to get your dealer to sort out the issues for you. Better than you making an error and potentially ruining your clutch or worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
loosen the cable adj so you have some play in the clutch lever on the engine case.

Kaboom right there....On the case....

Had the same issue plus more....Clutch cable on mine was almost full on the bars and half at the case....I backed it all off and made adjustment on the case...Perfect....But noticed my cable is frayed and junk...And clutch appears gone as well very soon....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Bump it to a dealer. I get the distinct impression that you don't really have the know how to be working on your bike. Better to get your dealer to sort out the issues for you. Better than you making an error and potentially ruining your clutch or worse.
THIS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts