Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We will see hiw things pan out. You guys got sweet deals on 2nd hand clutches. Putting evrything in 2morrow

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well the nut of the clutchbasket will not come of with the aircompressor, not being strong enough. Switching to an electric impact wrench today.

@Ungarisch ill take a pic of the steel plates, they all have the same wear pattern... might need to replace those too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With the electric impact wrench the nut came off in like 4 seconds.

But now I made an expensive learning mistake. Appearently the slipperclutch in 2017 is different from the previous year.

The clutch hub (2017) is shallower and will not accept as many plates as the 2016. Also the teeth on the pressure plate are wider so the last steel plate will not engage with the pressure plate.

The parts have different part numbers aswell I didn't check it because I assumed the slipper clutch is the same from 16 and up.

I'm going to order the correct hub and pressure plate tomorrow. Thanks again @comfysofa for your help and brainstorming with me!

To be continued

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Heres a thread where this was discussed. You need every part on this list. Theres no kit or anything easy, go figure..Its a long list, but you wont be able to put it together unless you order each and every part

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Heres a thread where this was discussed. You need every part on this list. Theres no kit or anything easy, go figure..Its a long list, but you wont be able to put it together unless you order each and every part

Thnx for the link just ordered the correct hub and pressure plate and new steel plates.

Bad news is, the pressure plate is not in stock in europe. Normal delivery time, when in stock in japan is +/- 2 weeks. With corona that could take longer.

Going to put back the old clutch for the the time being, so I can still ride.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know what you are going . The shops dont stock anything. Originally I only ordered one of the 2.0 plates. No big deal if I needed more. Just stop into the local dealer and grab.....Not so fast, smart guy. I needed 2....3 would be even better. This was after we were already burned on the outside plate being larger...just like you found.

I searched every shop within a 300 mile radius of my house. One shop said they had one (1) plate in stock. That felt odd as no other shop had one. The shop was about 75 miles away. Normally, I would have ordered it, but this was the first conversion we ever did. Everyone was watching and waiting to see if this was going to work, if ti was a failure and I wasted my money...we needed to know if this was even possible.

The parts countner guy pulled the part number up....."yep, the computer says we have one...but I cant find it" ....screwed again.

So, thats why we revised the parts list to include 3 2.0 plates.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know what you are going . The shops dont stock anything. Originally I only ordered one of the 2.0 plates. No big deal if I needed more. Just stop into the local dealer and grab.....Not so fast, smart guy. I needed 2....3 would be even better. This was after we were already burned on the outside plate being larger...just like you found.

I searched every shop within a 300 mile radius of my house. One shop said they had one (1) plate in stock. That felt odd as no other shop had one. The shop was about 75 miles away. Normally, I would have ordered it, but this was the first conversion we ever did. Everyone was watching and waiting to see if this was going to work, if ti was a failure and I wasted my money...we needed to know if this was even possible.

The parts countner guy pulled the part number up....."yep, the computer says we have one...but I cant find it" ....screwed again.

So, thats why we revised the parts list to include 3 2.0 plates.
Well the Netherlands Isn't that big. A 300km drive takes you into germany, as oposed to the USA , where 300km will not even get you out of a state.

Shops here dont need to stock up on parts . As one of kawasaki's european warehouses (maybe even the only one in europe?) Is located here in the netherlands. Old clutch is back in the bike. Some maintanance is still undergoing, should have it back in the weekend, so i can drive untill we get some parts in europe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is the list of parts I ordered when i was converting mine. $400 for a slipper is not that bad. I paid $1050 for the one on my Husqvarna supermoto, though that bike REALLY needed it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Correct clutch hub, operating plate and nee streelplates came in from the land of the rising sun. Putting then in next week

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So its finally in! Due to lack of time and illness , i wasnt able to fit it in yet.

First things first, operating the clutch is so easy now. There is a but.... im not sure wheter im opening the throttle too fast, meaning i need to adjust/ get used to the slipperclutch. Or that my clutch is slipping due to all the new parts (all new steel and friction plates).

I wondering how your experience was just after upgrading the clutch. Mine slipped in 2nd and 6th on my way home.

Cool side note is, my slipperclutch straight from japanese factory is black (hub and pressureplate)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just found the answer... looks like my clutch is slipping

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Slightly a false alarm. Took the bike out today for another spin. And she started slipping in every gear. So i adjusted cable on the lever and on the cover. No more slipping clutch, so all is good

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Its the best mod sofar. Operating the clutch is so easy now!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It sure is, buying a second one is the best option, cause doing everything new is not worth it in my opinion.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts