Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. To start this question, I will tell you that I haven't rode in 14 or 15 years. The last bike I owned was a 01 zx7r. Kind of feeling like I want another bike for the last few months. I looked at a 2004 z1000 tonight that a friend of a friend is looking to sell. First question is do you think it will be a good bike after not riding for so many years (was very comfortable on the zx7r and rode a lot of miles)? I feel like I am getting a great deal on it as the bike only has 5,800 miles on it, very clean and he will sell it for 3,000$. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
388 Posts
the bike and price sound about right, you may need new tires, chain, sprockets etc ....

it will not be too much bike for you

on the stupid part, that's up to you
if you don't get stupid on it you shouldn't have any problems

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I bought a DRZ400 after 12 years off a bike...my working theory was you've been off of bikes for a while - take it steady.... Got to the bottom of the road and thought....well this is a bit slow.... Gen1 z1000 3 months later...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did buy it
Cool Man,

You've got all winter to set it right man. Many of the consumables are based upon time, not mileage.

Engine coolant. brake fluid, air cleaner, brake pads sprockets/chain are all things that should be checked out.

When I bought my 03 Gen 1 in 2017, I immediately invested over $1500 total to set it up correctly for me.

I'm not saying you have to do this but I think it would be wise to carefully go over a 17 year old bike before I started to push my self on it.

Oh yea, I think the stock seat sucks and ebay ones are all chewed up, leaving Corbin the only choice for a new named brand replacement.

What you'll find is that companies no longer make parts for our bikes and we have to be creative. I see yours already has aftermarkets exhaust cans which is good for you.

Let me know if you need any input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool Man,

You've got all winter to set it right man. Many of the consumables are based upon time, not mileage.

Engine coolant. brake fluid, air cleaner, brake pads sprockets/chain are all things that should be checked out.

When I bought my 03 Gen 1 in 2017, I immediately invested over $1500 total to set it up correctly for me.

I'm not saying you have to do this but I think it would be wise to carefully go over a 17 year old bike before I started to push my self on it.

Oh yea, I think the stock seat sucks and ebay ones are all chewed up, leaving Corbin the only choice for a new named brand replacement.

What you'll find is that companies no longer make parts for our bikes and we have to be creative. I see yours already has aftermarkets exhaust cans which is good for you.

Let me know if you need any input.
I will go through and do some maintenance this winter. After 25 minutes on it, I know what you mean about the seat. I'm sure I will have a few questions, thanks in advance man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts