Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a serious back injury at work, my 13plate Kawasaki sx10 was off the road for over 18months. Put into garage last week for full service n Mot. Upto now the bill has accumulated to nearly £600 pound and counting. Mechanic called today to inform me the whole monoshock system on rear of bike is kaput and needs to be replaced with Kawasaki parts. Have been biking for nearly 30yrs told him I've never heard of a Kawasaki monoshock system failing after just being sat off road. Guy says it's a new one for him too. Please advise, this sounds like utter bullshit to me. I'm I being stitched up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd want to see the evidence with my own eyes.

Junking the stock Kawasaki shock is a good idea,but replacing it with one the same is not. Aftermarket shocks will be far superior and probably cheaper in some cases.

Unless the bike was stored in a bath of salt water,I'm at a loss to understand what has failed? Roller bearings? Bolts? Side plates? Just by sitting? Again,get them to show you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats what I thought too, I know a lot of bike places have struggled thru covid. But these guys are leaving me with a real cold feeling of their taking the piss. Thanks dude, glad we're on the same page 👍

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
43 Posts
If it genuinely is broken replace it with something like a Nitron. It'll be about half the price and a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Marco I'll look into that, but I think it's a bit hard pressed to believe, the bike just hasn't done the mileage to warrant what the mechanic has said. Thanks again dude. Will be getting the final bill soon so I'll put it on the forum see what u guys think 🤔

·
Registered
594 Posts
could be a leaky seal. that’s. not unheard of, although my 1986 zx6 had the original rear oem shock and it still worked fine before i sold the bike last year with 42k on her…🐒

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thats what I could understand happening. Think we've all come across a leaking seal either front or rear shocks, but this guys talking a full replacement of the whole rear monoshock system. Not a happy dude at the moment 😕

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah thats what I could understand happening. Think we've all come across a leaking seal either front or rear shocks, but this guys talking a full replacement of the whole rear monoshock system. Not a happy dude at the moment 😕
Go there and have them show you what failed. Than I would ask if they can replace it with the shock that you buy yourself. As other people mentioned it might be cheaper to buy your own shock or whatever and have them just install it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts