Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Well its taken a few months of saving and on Friday I have taken delivery of the pipes. After taking the OEM pipes off, they each weighed 4kg each.
The akra was unsuprisingly heavy due to its high manufacture standard.
The bike now has pipes that go with its sharp lines and its a fine compliment. :thumbsup:

These pipes are manufactured in Slovenia, and the founder of the company is Igor Akrapovic, here is some info for anyone that's interested. Our Story - Akrapovi

The sound is a deep and bassy GP style sound not over the top
and it doesnt appear to be too drone like.
Later I will remove the DB killer...;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
no doubt the quality is top shelf, i just will not pay that much for a exhaust for a street bike. others make good pipes for a lot less. MUZZY is like the back door to kawasaki racing. i have his stainless system on my 2004 Z1000. the fit and finish is very good. MUZZY also spends a lot of dyno time making their exhaust for a lot less money. many people want and can afford only the best. i have no problem with that. the exhaust coming out of our bikes does not know what brand it is or how much it costs. i paid 425 US shipped to my door for the MUZZY on a close out. very happy. like i said good for you that you can get what you want also.good day

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no doubt the quality is top shelf, i just will not pay that much for a exhaust for a street bike. others make good pipes for a lot less. MUZZY is like the back door to kawasaki racing. i have his stainless system on my 2004 Z1000. the fit and finish is very good. MUZZY also spends a lot of dyno time making their exhaust for a lot less money. many people want and can afford only the best. i have no problem with that. the exhaust coming out of our bikes does not know what brand it is or how much it costs. i paid 425 US shipped to my door for the MUZZY on a close out. very happy. like i said good for you that you can get what you want also.good day
the decision to buy these pipes was not based on a whimsical attitude:eek:
or because i have more money than sense, I had to save for these over a few months. Yes there are other sufficiently suitable pipes on the market.
Buying one pipe over another is a personal decision, namely if you are keeping the bike for the next 5 years its a reasonable investment.
Its like chossing red underwear over black undearwear, both do the same job, however maybe women get turned on by red ones..:dontknow:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Crap, and I bought black! Now you tell me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Finally, wearing my wife's red panties on the outside of my clothes is going to pay off!!!!!

OK, maybe not...

Anyway, I think notabiker forgets - back in the day, when Muzzy was the shiznit pipe maker and everyone ran them on their race bikes, they were just as expensive as Akro's are today. I remember having my 1996 ZX7RR, and wondering when I was going to be able to save up $1000 for the race system. 15 years later, and race systems are $1200-1400...with inflation and the cost of everything rising, thats comparable to what we paid back then.

He got his system for $425 because it was designed to run on the ZX9R, Kawi had stopped making the ZX9R, and Muzzy had tons of them left on the shelves, so they sold them for a rock bottom price. Furthermore, I'd point out that the stainless Muzzy full system for an 03-06 Z1000 still lists on the Muzzy site for $989.... Since 2003, the rate of inflation has been approx 21.32% (according to Inflationdata.com). If you take $989 in 2003 and add 21.32% inflation, it comes out to $1199.85

Around the same price as an Akro.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally, wearing my wife's red panties on the outside of my clothes is going to pay off!!!!!

OK, maybe not...

Anyway, I think notabiker forgets - back in the day, when Muzzy was the shiznit pipe maker and everyone ran them on their race bikes, they were just as expensive as Akro's are today. I remember having my 1996 ZX7RR, and wondering when I was going to be able to save up $1000 for the race system. 15 years later, and race systems are $1200-1400...with inflation and the cost of everything rising, thats comparable to what we paid back then.

He got his system for $425 because it was designed to run on the ZX9R, Kawi had stopped making the ZX9R, and Muzzy had tons of them left on the shelves, so they sold them for a rock bottom price. Furthermore, I'd point out that the stainless Muzzy full system for an 03-06 Z1000 still lists on the Muzzy site for $989.... Since 2003, the rate of inflation has been approx 21.32% (according to Inflationdata.com). If you take $989 in 2003 and add 21.32% inflation, it comes out to $1199.85

Around the same price as an Akro.
Akrapovic 2010-2011 Kawasaki Z1000 Dual Hexagonal Slip-On Exhaust $1,016 USD
for AKRA slipon pipes..

Akrapovic 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Racing Hex Full Exhaust $1,042 USD
Racing AKRA...

lets face the facts this is still a considerable ammount of money for us working folks.. However when you buy Akrapovic you are buying an item that will enhance your bikes performance... and the sound will be superb
:eek:ccasion:

** Do you guys reckon the Titanium looks HOT on the Z1..??

PEACE....

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
If you are spending the money. Why not buy the full exhaust for the same price? its much lighter and makes more power:confused:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i like muzzy but i would not spend 1,000 for a pipe . part of the reason is i would have a hard time coming up with the money, and the other reason is i am old school and a kerker back in the day was around 300 bucks. i am living in the past MY PROBLEM
enjoy the top shelf exhaust system. i am not jealous, i am happy for you.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i like muzzy but i would not spend 1,000 for a pipe . part of the reason is i would have a hard time coming up with the money, and the other reason is i am old school and a kerker back in the day was around 300 bucks. i am living in the past MY PROBLEM
enjoy the top shelf exhaust system. i am not jealous, i am happy for you.
Yeah! somebody else remembers when Kerker was on top! I wish I couldd afford to put one on my KZ1000, they are now over $700 for a 4-1 megaphone. I guess I will just be happy with the V&H 4-1 megaphone I have now. I wanted the Lazer Xtreme's for my Z1K, but they were around $1000 or so...... So I did the exhaust mod to keep the four cool looking pipes! I hear what you are sayin man, not everyone has the coin, and even if they did; wouldn't spend that kind of money anyhow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are spending the money. Why not buy the full exhaust for the same price? its much lighter and makes more power:confused:
Simple answer is this, the full exhaust requires a PCV or PCV with AutoTune, thats an additional $500, that then blows the cost way out.
Why would I want more power, the bike already pumps out more than I can handle, of course some will disagree.
An exhaust does not mean the world its just that an exhaust, its metal
that makes noise. What is important is that you enjoy your riding and find fun and adventure in every ride... To be quite frank with you i wasnt happy about paying the price however I dont smoke, I dont drink heavily
and the bike is my only little hobby:).
Its my way of detaching myself from the mundane and the mediocre..

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
you are 100 % right, our bikes are more than transportation. i go in the garage and look at my bike and think , a lot of people out their have no clue how much fun we are having. these things are ART on 2 wheels.
Never thought of it as art, just waaaay more fun than the truck! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sense of freedom and expression you get on your bike is unparalel.
Also dont forget the emotional and physical buzz when you are with your mates
carving the corners, and then stopping for a burger and drinks.
All these things make up a wholistic sensation that brings happiness.
And happiness is something we all need and search for.
So keep on ridin and stay healthy, happy, and alive..
Also dont forget to give a good lookin babe a wink every now and then.;)
If she's from California she may be sillycone enhanced, but hey no one's perfect...:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
LOL Sillycone enhanced! the good stuff right there!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts