Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody have any experience with Akrapovic Replicas that are coming from China?

You can get a full system for about $330 to $600 with shipping(depends on the seller). All depends on the quality of carbon fiber.

Post pictures and reviews if you got them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So since nobody relied to my original question I went ahead and bought the system myself. It came from Singapore and was around $550 with shipping. Took about a month to arrive.

What are you thoughts based on how it looks?

I will be installing it within a week and can use some tips on how to do it right. For example, someone mentioned to me to put grease on the headers pipe sections to prevent it from sticking to each other at high temperatures. WD40 was also recommended for the same reason. Is that accurate?

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I will have to push installation to first week of April as I am lining it up with a DYNO and ECU flash that will take place right after the installation.

I am wondering if I should also install K&N filter at the same time. Is it worth the headache of taking the tank off which I assume will be a bit of a challenge...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like I will have to push installation to first week of April as I am lining it up with a DYNO and ECU flash that will take place right after the installation.

I am wondering if I should also install K&N filter at the same time. Is it worth the headache of taking the tank off which I assume will be a bit of a challenge...
Not sure what year your Z is, but on the 4th gen it is very easy to remove the tank and swap filters - done in 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you need to remove all the fairings, lift the tank up and take the airbox apart? Its going to take me way longer then 15 minutes to do that. Especially since I had not done it on this bike before.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
go ahead with filter.. i had bmc on my 2010 and have dna filter on my 2015.. its more taking off plastics on the 4th gen as you have to remove tail fairings to have the tank lifted up.. you need power screw driver and allen keys.. and yes takes 10-15 min the most..

make sure to get the copper gaskets for the header.. they are made for 1 use only or you will hear ticking on your bike.. more pronounced.. i have swapped oem, cs and full akrapovic dual on this bike.. its easy..

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1 for DNA. I have one on my 2015 as well. I prefer it over the K&N because it has a larger surface area. (K&N has about 1inch of rubber/plastic along the perimeter of it = less air flow)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my local motorcycle shop wants to charge me around $1200 for Dyno+ECU Flash so I am thinking of going with Ivan's performance instead.

So I need to figure out how to remove the ECU. Can someone help out with that? Post a link to a video or something. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I like seeing Jay again.....thank you for posting the video.

It was driving him nuts to see so many people having issues with installing, or removing their ecu, and I remember him saying "Im going to do something about it."

We lost him due to untreated depression. Have fun with the ecu reflash, for sure, but if you know someone who is depressed, guide them towards getting help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like seeing Jay again.....thank you for posting the video.

It was driving him nuts to see so many people having issues with installing, or removing their ecu, and I remember him saying "Im going to do something about it."

We lost him due to untreated depression. Have fun with the ecu reflash, for sure, but if you know someone who is depressed, guide them towards getting help.

Yea.. I got it out in about 10 minutes. Just was not sure where it was.

And when it comes to depression, I have a perfect solution. It works like a charm. But if you live in U.S., it's unfortunately illigal and usually misunderstood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And when it comes to depression, I have a perfect solution. It works like a charm. But if you live in U.S., it's unfortunately illigal and usually misunderstood.
lol... that only temporarily masks the problem though, doesnt solve it ;)

as for the exhausts... im thinking of trying those replica headers as well, i already have the link pipes and mufflers, the quality is excellent.. fitment not perfect (hell ive even heard fitment issues with the big name brands) but the fit and finish up close is just as good as other stuff costing much more.

right now i just have them mated to the stock cat, but its really too quiet for my tastes... thinking if its worth grabbing these copy headers, whats youre opinion on them so far?

heres mine

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buttttt... I don't have depression. Permanently. ;)

As far as the headers question goes: I believe you can get the headers alone for something in the range of $250-300 shipped.
The fitment was ok, but I do seem to have exhaust leak as of now. I think I have to re-installed them with copper gaskets(as someone else suggested).

Lastly, I can't report on the sound or performance yet coz I am still waiting for my ECU flash to come back. I will record a clip this weekend and let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buttttt... I don't have depression. Permanently. ;)

As far as the headers question goes: I believe you can get the headers alone for something in the range of $250-300 shipped.
The fitment was ok, but I do seem to have exhaust leak as of now. I think I have to re-installed them with copper gaskets(as someone else suggested).

Lastly, I can't report on the sound or performance yet coz I am still waiting for my ECU flash to come back. I will record a clip this weekend and let you know.

yep i found a local importer that sells the headers + link pipes for $250 .... i already have link pipes and mufflers, so ill just have extra link pipes leftover to sell... thinking i might order them in the next couple weeks... most everyone in my crew has full exhaust and i can barely hear my RPMS when im riding in the group ;)

re-using gaskets is always prone to leaks, not worth the hassle of changing it again best to just put a good new one on during a change.... i hope the local kawa dealer doesnt try to rip me for them... they wanted like $40 EACH for the stupid z1000 stickers on the fairings

1 - 20 of 27 Posts