Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to do some touring with the bike, and was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas for bags or storage. I could bungee a bag to the rear seat or wear a back pack, but wanted to see what you guys were doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Check out the gears navigator tail bag at motorcyclesuperstore. Also have heard that the sport saddle bags dont exactly fit the z1000 the best. They seem to sag in towards the rear tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like the looks of these -

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Kawasaki Z1000, '10-'11, Ninja 1000, '11- - HTA.08.740.10200

Simple and not much hardware left hanging on the bike when the bags are removed.
Nice idea. The issue with the idea is shown in the lower video in the link. While they keep the bags from folding in towards the wheel, they don't keep the bags away from the bodywork up top. More importantly they don't provide any standoff at the top, so the bags in the bottom video are being held away from the bike by the turn signals. I''m sure that's gonna work well....

Coupled with FastRack on the passenger seat you might be able to make something work.

I have the Ventura set up my 916 and it is nice, but saddlebags are the best if you can make them work.

·
Registered
803 Posts
It might be an issue the the Sw-Mototech bags. The grab rails on the Ninja provide some outward spacing but the turn signals stick out farther still. The FastRack would probably fix the problem, or shorter turn signals.

Just a guess without seeing them in person, but I think they're assuming you won't pull the bags tight to the top and hard into the turn signals. Any weight in them will make them fall out away from the bike. The top strap keeps them from falling out too far.

I may get a set later in the year and try them. If something else doesn't get made for the bike in then mean time anyway. I have no interest in the Givi hard luggage Kawasaki will be selling or anything with similar mounting hardware. Too much stuff left hanging on the bike when the bags are removed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It might be an issue the the Sw-Mototech bags. The grab rails on the Ninja provide some outward spacing but the turn signals stick out farther still. The FastRack would probably fix the problem, or shorter turn signals.

OP has a Z1000 which means no grab rails and a more waspish tail than the Ninja 1000.

An integrated tail light/turn signal set up solves the turn signal problem, but there is still going to be benefit from something to make the top of the bags stand off the side of the tail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts