Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what the accel pump feature is on the pc3? what does it do & what difference does it make?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
does anyone know what the accel pump feature is on the pc3? what does it do & what difference does it make?
never heard of it.... I would like to know more as well

·
Registered
440 Posts
It will give better instantaneous throttle response. When you whack open the throttle, the butterflys let in more air but it takes just a bit longer for the heavier fuel to catch up and mix in, so there is a short period where you are lean when you whack it WFO. This feature will add more fuel at this point for a limited number of revolutions at a certain percentage extra fuel to compensate for the momentary leanness. You find it especially useful when getting back on the gas mid turn but most will enjoy the extra snap no matter what.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I should also mention the reason for this feature's existence...

Bikes with secondary butterflies achieve the same result. When you crack the throttle the secondary's job is to compensate for the slower fuel droplets by limiting the air flow for just a bit. On bikes without secondary butterflies, this accelerator pump feature is a useful tool.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I will have to go back and read about my PCIII again.....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to go back and read about my PCIII again.....
clint wouldnt that defeat the purpose of disabling our secondaries?:confused:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
sounds like its leaned out for a second before the fuel catches up to the air. By removing the secondaries we have more air entering the combustion chamber rather than adding more fuel up until a certain RPM. Which i believe to be under 4500 RPMs because the secondaries mod says it may run too lean under 4500rpms. If we can add more fuel to the mix at the same time we are allowing more air; I think we would achieve a better result. This is what I got from the post above. If you read it a different way, please share....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well its just mines pretty rich as it is, even under 4500 rpm. not sure if it would help me. may turn it on anyways to see what it does.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
well its just mines pretty rich as it is, even under 4500 rpm. not sure if it would help me. may turn it on anyways to see what it does.
My question is how you turn it off/on anyhow? My PCIII came preloaded with the 'Hindle Slipons map' at my request. I never had to do anything but plug it in and go.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
with laptop hooed up to pc3 Applicable to PC III USBI'm having trouble installing the Accelerator Pump Utility to my USB Power Commander III.
  • Verify that the latest version of the PCIII USB Control Center Software is installed on your computer and can communicate with the power commander
  • 1. Close all Power Commander Applications on your computer.
  • 2. Install the Accelerator Pump Utility to your Desktop and open it.
  • 3. Verify that "Accelerator Pump Feature Enabled" is displayed by clicking on the Enable Accelerator Pump Feature Button.
  • 4. Close the Accelerator Pump Utility that is open on your desktop.
  • 5. Open the PCIII USB Control Center Software that is on your computer.
  • 6. Go to the "Power Commander Tools" menu and then to "Accelerator Pump Configuration" to make the required setting changes for your style of riding, then click OK

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just trying to go faster, like its not fast enough anyway. :eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
sounds like its leaned out for a second before the fuel catches up to the air. By removing the secondaries we have more air entering the combustion chamber rather than adding more fuel up until a certain RPM. Which i believe to be under 4500 RPMs because the secondaries mod says it may run too lean under 4500rpms. If we can add more fuel to the mix at the same time we are allowing more air; I think we would achieve a better result. This is what I got from the post above. If you read it a different way, please share....
You have the jist of it. With the secondaries removed, you can no longer delay the extra airflow for the fraction of a second needed for the heavier fuel molecules to catch up. Until then, you are lean. The part about rpms is the part you have deduced incorrectly. Rpms have nothing to do with it. This condition happens no matter what rpm you are at when you crack open the throttle and it happens on all ICE engines, carbed or FI. But you seem to get the idea.

The fact that this program only activates for a limited amount of crank revolutions (20-60 I think, user selectable) is brilliant. If it didn't stop after these revolutions, you would end up too rich everywhere else, full time, which isn't good either since being too rich can actually rob HP. This assuming you have perfect jetting/tuning in the first place. The most powerful engines are actually slightly leaner than stochiometric at their peak HP.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have the jist of it. With the secondaries removed, you can no longer delay the extra airflow for the fraction of a second needed for the heavier fuel molecules to catch up. Until then, you are lean. The part about rpms is the part you have deduced incorrectly. Rpms have nothing to do with it. This condition happens no matter what rpm you are at when you crack open the throttle and it happens on all ICE engines, carbed or FI. But you seem to get the idea.

The fact that this program only activates for a limited amount of crank revolutions (20-60 I think, user selectable) is brilliant. If it didn't stop after these revolutions, you would end up too rich everywhere else, full time, which isn't good either since being too rich can actually rob HP. This assuming you have perfect jetting/tuning in the first place. The most powerful engines are actually slightly leaner than stochiometric at their peak HP.
i turned my accel pump feature on. seems to make a difference but there are so many adjustments. u have sensitivity adj. revolution adj. & fuel adj. if i knew a little more about it im sure i could fine tune it a little more. is there a baseline adj. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
.......a difference for the good, yeah?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.......a difference for the good, yeah?
oh yeah but like i said so many adj. curious if it could b better. of course it runs like a raped ape already. my problem is i want crap perfect & usually keep messing until it is. :lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
oh yeah but like i said so many adj. curious if it could b better. of course it runs like a raped ape already. my problem is i want crap perfect & usually keep messing until it is. :lol:

I know the problem. When I bought my PCIII USB I couldn't wait to get into it and set up all the goodies. After reading a ton on the subject I started a thread about the pump software and settings and only got 1 reply. It said it had tons of buttons and he removed it after a while. I agree with you. It runs so good stock and responds great to the right mods it is hard not to play with it. Besides, it is all part of the hobby, right? I a few months I'm going to get a custom map made and I figure I'll install the pump software and finish any other mods before that.

BTW, there is a company online that does supply custom maps for whatever mods you have and they use the pump software. Their maps are only $50 or so compared to $300 for the hands on dyno-tune custom maps.
Maybe someone will help us with a name to this online map company.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know the problem. When I bought my PCIII USB I couldn't wait to get into it and set up all the goodies. After reading a ton on the subject I started a thread about the pump software and settings and only got 1 reply. It said it had tons of buttons and he removed it after a while. I agree with you. It runs so good stock and responds great to the right mods it is hard not to play with it. Besides, it is all part of the hobby, right? I a few months I'm going to get a custom map made and I figure I'll install the pump software and finish any other mods before that.

BTW, there is a company online that does supply custom maps for whatever mods you have and they use the pump software. Their maps are only $50 or so compared to $300 for the hands on dyno-tune custom maps.
Maybe someone will help us with a name to this online map company.
that would be cool. i wouldnt mind spending $50. for a custom map 4 my specific mods but kinda hard to cough up $300. for a dynotune that shows some good hp & torque numbers but might not be that great on the street. :headshake:

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good custom Dyno made fuel map really needs the pump feature with the type of mods done to the average bike. Using the pump feature is a complexed tune as the A/F ratio could be to lean in one RPM range & correct in another, the Dyno jet pump tool can not be set in a a certain rev/throttle area, so to pump tool can improve in one area & make the bike run to rich in another.

If the A/F ratio is mapped for best Torque & HP it should have improvements in all rev/throttle ranges track or road riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts