Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was riding home from work travelling at about 40 mph when the brakes suddenly locked left the bike for a few mins and was ok 500 meters up the road did it again waited again then rode the rest of my commute and was fine any idea what could have caused this cheers

·
Registered
488 Posts
Should not happen. The electronic aid prevents from locking up not the opposite so you can rule that out. The pad/piston activation is purely hyd pressure created by you and the lever and if there were an issue it should be present at all times and not intermittent. Its a very simple system really, Are you sure its the brakes? Is it the rear only?

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's crazy. Normally I like to blame electronic gremlins but this is a purely mechanical/hydraulic system. There is no explanation that I can imagine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should not happen. The electronic aid prevents from locking up not the opposite so you can rule that out. The pad/piston activation is purely hyd pressure created by you and the lever and if there were an issue it should be present at all times and not intermittent. Its a very simple system really, Are you sure its the brakes? Is it the rear only?
It is the front brakes found out I had a rear puncture dont know if that would effect it

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it's "locking" as in pulsating your ABS then clean your wheel speed sensor that's on the fork, in front of the caliper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure that you have enough free play at both the front and rear brake levers, too little travel and the brake can bind when the components heat up as the wheels turn. They should free off when cooled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts