Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my forks out today cause the seal was seeping on the left leg, going to be putting new seals and oil in ( I might do them or I might just give them to a shop and let them handle it ). I got looking at the tops and bottoms of both leg and wondered, could the thread bottom end be unbolted, removed from the tube and bolted on to a right side leg !? 馃. Just a thought and if it can then Kawasaki could have had both legs do spring tension and rebound ( or maybe I'm mixing that word for dampening ... ) controlled, instead of having one leg control the whole from end rebound ( dampening if I'm wrong on terminology ) .... Just a thought and was wondering if anyone has ever had the same thought or possibly tried that. Eventually I'll do the 636 swap, unless this idea holds some merit. It was nice that this bike has a Rizoma clip on set-up, the factory handle bar mounting point's in the upper triple came in handy .... It's not stupid if it work's 馃榿

Registered
While perhaps possible it would require revalving as two legs are working. The best accepted upgrade for a gen1 is replace the entire front with a 636 setup. Just the 636 legs will transfer but require different spacers as the Z1000 and 636 use different wheels. The main problem is finding them.

You can also send them off to Racetech or another quality shop and they will make them better, but still not as good as later models.

Sad but that's the way it is, you can only put so much lipstick on that pig.

*proud pig owner

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While perhaps possible it would require revalving as two legs are working. The best accepted upgrade for a gen1 is replace the entire front with a 636 setup. Just the 636 legs will transfer but require different spacers as the Z1000 and 636 use different wheels. The main problem is finding them.

You can also send them off to Racetech or another quality shop and they will make them better, but still not as good as later models.

Sad but that's the way it is, you can only put so much lipstick on that pig.

*proud pig owner
Why would you have to revalve it if it's basically two right legs ? ... Just wondering. And I've heard ( or rather read ) many things about the swap from 03 - 04 vs 05 + 636 forks but I'll have to dive into it within the forum for facts but I doubt I'll ever need that much out of it, I don't race it or do wheelies but I've got buddies who want me to take it to the track this year, I took my DRZ400 in 19 ( prior to selling it ).

Also proud owner .... Love this bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts