Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody went from a first gen z to a 3rd gen z? im wanting a 2010 z black & silver bad. the more of them i see, the more i like them. i am seriously considering getting one, even though i have finally got mine just where i want it. runs better now than it ever has. dont get me wrong, i love my 03 z but i have had it for over 5 years & wanting a new bike so bad i cant stand it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is my first Z1, so I can't answer your question. But I can give you my $02 if you are interested.
My prior bikes were the Honda v65 Magna (or VF1100R if you prefer) and the Yamaha V-Max.
However, if you read any of of the reviews available, or the comparos that include the 2010 Z1, it is clear that the 3rd gneration bike was a huge step forward for Kawasaki.
The engine was designed specifically for the Z1 and the Ninja 1k. By all accounts, and based upon my personal experience, it has tremendous hp, torque and usable power. The aluminum frame is new, replacing the steel one, and shed 11 lbs. The adjustable suspension was re-configured to incude a horizontal rear shock, and the brakes were lifted right off the 2010 zx10r.
Having put 1700 miles on the bike in approximately 3 months, I can honestly say that it is incredibly easy to ride (once I got used to the power). Smooth from the stoplight, (reasonably) comfortable for my 6'1'' frame, with linear pull from jump to whatever speed I decide to level off at.
I regularly ride it 35 miles each way to work both on busy town rodes and highway. Engine revs high at 70mph, somewhere around 5k rpm. That took some getting used to for me as I do not have prior sport bkie experience. My only complaints so far are the short first gear, and the 35mpg, as the gas tank is only 4 gallons.
If you believe the mags, all of the reviews have been steller (with the exception of Motor Cyclist continuously complaining about engine vibes in the handlebars). Cycle World says it out performed the 2011 Triumph S3 and Honda CB1000r in June 2011, and picked it as the best standard bike 2 years running. Motorcycle USA had it lose out to the Streetfighter on "objective" data, however both test riders picked as the bike they would purchase if choosing between the 2.
I suspect that if you love your 2003, that you will love the 2010.

·
Registered
555 Posts
After that write up I want one too!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It needs to lose alot of plastic for me, but I do love the gains in all the other departments

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yea ur right but its alot better than the n1k. if i was wanting a full fairing bike, would get the zx10.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 1st gen (daily) and a 2nd gen (project) currently. My plan is to sell the 2nd gen and get a 3rd gen. I would like to know what some of you boys think as well.

I've heard the 3rd gen has a lot of vibration in the bars:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cant be any worse than the first gen or can it?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
If you buy a 3rd Gen, you will only miss your old bike for as long as it takes to read this post!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just do it. You'll love it. :)

Besides, if you find any leftover 2010's around, they should be super cheap.

Rob

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have had 2 08 and now the 10 and its night and day and i love it,i have 7 bikes right now and one being turbo gsxr 1000 and 07 r1 and my favorite is the z!!! hands down best all around fo me and what riding i do.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Rob
That's what i'm thinkin!!! But i may wait til the 2011's go down in price once the 2012's come out. That, and the fact that I'm planning on paying off my truck before i pay so much for a bike.

i have had 2 08 and now the 10 and its night and day and i love it,i have 7 bikes right now and one being turbo gsxr 1000 and 07 r1 and my favorite is the z!!! hands down best all around fo me and what riding i do.
Looks like you have my kind of garage!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I rode the first gen when it first came out, I havent't ridden the 2nd gen, I figure it's the same bike, or close.

I had a an FZR1000 and an R1 (2000) at the time. I thougth the torque was nice, power was great and the feeling tight. I wanted to buy one, but the plastic over the frame discoureged me.

The third gen has more power and gets around the track better due to its aluminum frame. The first gen has that fun factor in spades, up with the new Z.

As I see it the old Z is the better buy bang fror the buck, but the new ride trunps the first two on the track and for the elete factor.

Zoid.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Rob
yeah i found a black & silver 10 like i want for $9399.00

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a 1st gen (daily) and a 2nd gen (project) currently. My plan is to sell the 2nd gen and get a 3rd gen. I would like to know what some of you boys think as well.

I have not experienced any significant vibration in the bars. Mirrors seem quite clear at highway speed. However, I am not the most aggressive rider in the world.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is my first Z1, so I can't answer your question. But I can give you my $02 if you are interested.
My prior bikes were the Honda v65 Magna (or VF1100R if you prefer) and the Yamaha V-Max.
However, if you read any of of the reviews available, or the comparos that include the 2010 Z1, it is clear that the 3rd gneration bike was a huge step forward for Kawasaki.
The engine was designed specifically for the Z1 and the Ninja 1k. By all accounts, and based upon my personal experience, it has tremendous hp, torque and usable power. The aluminum frame is new, replacing the steel one, and shed 11 lbs. The adjustable suspension was re-configured to incude a horizontal rear shock, and the brakes were lifted right off the 2010 zx10r.
Having put 1700 miles on the bike in approximately 3 months, I can honestly say that it is incredibly easy to ride (once I got used to the power). Smooth from the stoplight, (reasonably) comfortable for my 6'1'' frame, with linear pull from jump to whatever speed I decide to level off at.
I regularly ride it 35 miles each way to work both on busy town rodes and highway. Engine revs high at 70mph, somewhere around 5k rpm. That took some getting used to for me as I do not have prior sport bkie experience. My only complaints so far are the short first gear, and the 35mpg, as the gas tank is only 4 gallons.
If you believe the mags, all of the reviews have been steller (with the exception of Motor Cyclist continuously complaining about engine vibes in the handlebars). Cycle World says it out performed the 2011 Triumph S3 and Honda CB1000r in June 2011, and picked it as the best standard bike 2 years running. Motorcycle USA had it lose out to the Streetfighter on "objective" data, however both test riders picked as the bike they would purchase if choosing between the 2.
I suspect that if you love your 2003, that you will love the 2010.
the 11 LBS is a joke cuzz the 2010 holds 1 Gal less fuel that is approx 7LBS. just saying. a good 03-06 Z1000 with a pipe and air box mod makes over 130 RWHP. my brakes and suspension can do all i can use. for most riders the new ZED is a better bike. for some of us it is not.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

i did not notice much vibration on my friends 2010 or my 2004. way better than the ZRX i had. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i like the looks of mine better. i know mine has 132-135rwhp but just wanting a new bike. had my z longer than any other bike i have ever had.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts