Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

2 weeks ago, I went for a fairly big ride, something around 700 km (or 430+ miles).

The bike was running fine, no issues to report… until I was almost home. The bike was started to hesitate at idle when stopped at traffic lights and when going off the line for the first meters, until the revs got up a bit. It sounded like the bike was running off of 3 cylinders at idle. And it came very suddenly at the end of the ride. No sign whatsoever during the ride, the pace was varying from smooth cruising on some freeways to hard accelerations to pass cars in the twisties… you know, just having a great time out there.

My bike's a third generation (20121) with just over 40 000 km on it. I bought it new. I had the valves adjusted around the 30K km mark and the plugs were changed at that time as well.

Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

Thanks!

JFS.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Could be the pump is dieing also, did you run it low on fuel at all during that ride? The fuel is what keeps the pump cool, so running it hard when low on gas can cause the pump to overheat. Is it the oem pump? 40km on a pump is alot, especially if you run low on gas alot.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
What is your idle speed set at?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this is super old, but I'm experiencing this issue on my 2003 Z1000. Starts up instantly, but since the other day when idling, it'll blip down, into "Bog mode", and I'll have to be careful with the clutch because it'll suddenly become smooth and kick in when accelerating. Again, As OP mentioned, when I come to a stop and accelerate, it seems to go down to 3 cylinders. (bububububub instead of, vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv, ya feel?) Sometimes it kicks in early, but mostly after 4K it becomes smooth and normal ish. Though I was noticing that in 4th gear at WOT, around 9K there's a slight surge/pause/surge thing going on, I'm assuming it's related.

42'000kms
Danmoto slip ons
K&N Air filter
Air box mod

So far I have the bike in the garage, tank off. I inspected all 4 spark plugs, which were new at 27500. All 4 looked really good and identical. I also had my battery and charging system looked at by the local Battery doctors who said everything there was fine. So it seems spark is okay. Haven't looked at the fuel filter yet. The bike's had 91/94 octane it's whole life.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Incase anyone has this issue, I solved mine! And it made me realize that I purchased the bike with this issue, it just suddenly became more prevalent. The bike runs, SO good now, I'm laughing inside my helmet the entire time.

The previous owner must have accidentally broken the 'send' breather hose (one with the red stripe) and tried to still make it work.

To elaborate, Certain fuel lines such as these, are able to be secure to the nipple even without the little clamp holding it on. So when taking them off, you have to give it a little twist, before pulling, to break the 'seal'. The previous person to remove this line must not have twisted, and simply pulled, ripping the hose and thus shortening it. This resulted in a kink against the tank bracket. SO, yet another victim of a kinked fuel line!! insane.

2$ piece of fuel hose and it feels like a new bike. Riding at all speeds now is nothing but pleasure.

·
Registered
488 Posts
To come to a forum and inquire about a problem, field responses and possible causes and then disappear without resolve helps no one. Even an old thread with actual pertinent information creates a knowledge base that is always relevant. Thanks for posting the resolution to your issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts