Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to replace but not sure what brand works best for the money. Looking for a little color too. :)

What have you 3rd gen riders used?

tnx in advance.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I know nothing about chains or what type our bikes use. X-Ring, I'm assuming. 520? lol sorry man, I'm chain and sprocket illiterate! but am now learning. I usually buy stuff that's a step above stock and would even shell out a little more if the next level above isn't too far away $ wise -if that makes sense.

Stock sprocket size, chain length (?) is fine with this rider. I've heard clip is better than rivet?

Would like more color too :) That gold, black, silver combo works for me. When you guys have time, post up a pic what you're running. I'll look around too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i’ve read guys getting 20K miles on stock chains. so i would argue stock chains are reasonable quality. personally I believe if you keep your chain clean and well lubricated it will last a long time. think the original might be an EK. also, i’ve had JT and SunStar sprockets in the past and have had great luck with those too. I prefer steel over aluminum for every day riding.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
both options look great. you're right, it may be too early to be replacing just yet. Thought since I'm doing stuff, might as well.

did the fall away test and it doesn't. at all. Turn it a little, no additional movement -at any point. New tire has shipped and is on the way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks guys

I know nothing about chains or what type our bikes use. X-Ring, I'm assuming. 520? lol sorry man, I'm chain and sprocket illiterate! but am now learning. I usually buy stuff that's a step above stock and would even shell out a little more if the next level above isn't too far away $ wise -if that makes sense.

Stock sprocket size, chain length (?) is fine with this rider. I've heard clip is better than rivet?

Would like more color too :) That gold, black, silver combo works for me. When you guys have time, post up a pic what you're running. I'll look around too.
With a 520 chain you trade weight over longevity. On our bikes, a properly maintained 525 chain (stock size) should last at least 15k miles, while a 520 should last about 8-10k, the EK 3D is a stronger forging, and is fully nickel coated (chromed) and it cannot rust, so I would assume it should last a bit more than a typical 520 chain. If you tour or commute, stick with the stock 525 size. Same goes for sprockets, aluminum sprocket last maybe 4k miles, while steel should last the life of the chain if not more.

Do not use clip chains on a street bike, use only rivet type. On my dirt/supermoto bike I use a clip chain for convenient of removing it from time to time without needing to buy a new master link, but I **** you not I have lost 3 clips in the last 3k miles I rode that bike, which is dangerous as if the chain comes apart there is a good chance of it destroying you engine case. Once that bike is due for a new chain I will go to a rivet type.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard that if you don't do the rivet just right, it too could have issues. I spose that goes for both options. I'll have the pro do it. -Ungerisch I'm Cali bound! (closest to me anyway! lol

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha yup, that's how I usually roll too

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not too sure right now because the chain and sprockets look pretty good, to me anyway, but I'm no expert... Thanks for the heads up. Some parts are here. Still waiting on the tires. Will do those first and see if the stem bearing needs repacked or replaced.

Going to talk to the guys who are installing the tires to see how much for them to do the chain sprockets, maybe brake pads too -if they need it, which they probably do plus I can get better ones on. Keeps adding up tho -oh well if it needs it, might as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've heard that if you don't do the rivet just right, it too could have issues. I spose that goes for both options. I'll have the pro do it. -Ungerisch I'm Cali bound! (closest to me anyway! lol
only thing there is to the rivetting (and this also applies for the clip style as well), is that when you are pressing on the side plate of the master link, you need to measure the width of the whole link and press the plate on only so far so that it matches the width of all other links. If you press it too far then the chain will bind at the master link, if you don't press it far enough then you can't mushroom the rivet wide enough (or get the clip on if doing clip style), which can cause the chain to come apart at some point. Just use a cheap veneer caliper to make sure it's the same width as all other links.

You coming to SoCal? or where?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha nah, if I lived closer, yes

! -maybe when things settle a bit here I'll hit the coastline and head south. -Actually sounds really good. Just need things to be back to somewhat normal or the new normal -whatever that is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts