Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
There's no way to remove the chain without splitting the crankcase unless you break and rivet the chain or cut the rib off the bottom casing that it probably there to oil the chain. Both options are a bit sketchy.

I've had both guides out and they are not the problem

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might be worth getting yourself a mechanics stethoscope, they are quite cheap and allow you to find what area the noise is coming from,
You can get one from any decent tool shop or on line.
Best tool I have in my toolbox !
Fingers crossed it's an easy fix for you.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Yes & No.

If you weren't such a typical tightass, soccer loving Kiwi the problem would have been fixed by now.

And don't blame Covid - a particular cluster of Kiwis were the same when I left in 87.

Your heading is enough, people they want to help you will be attracted along with all the other newbie sign ons of whom their first request after lurking & not helping others is "my bike isn't working, I need help ..."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
no need to split the case for timing chain replacement, though that's not likely the cause.

If the tensioner is not the issue, its could be that the plastic guide has broken or the pin/screw that's holding is not affixing it properly
You're right, its not the chain, but its not the tensioner or guides either. Other possibles I tried over the weekend include inspecting the PAIR reed valves and adjusting crank balance. Neither seems to help but I do feel like the noise is not as loud as it was in the first video I posted in this thread. Below with the cam cover off the noise is not evident, but as soon as I put it back on the noise was there again. Checked that the cam cover isn't touching the top chain guide and there's no witness marks to suggest it is...

61 - 70 of 70 Posts