Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ok I've finally found the source of the noise but can't really work out what's causing it. It's the chain hitting the side of the head where it rolls onto the inlet cam. I can't see any reason why the chain is riding up unless it's damaged so I want to replace it but the manual says split the crankcase...

Has anyone either broken the chain to replace it or cut off the rib under the crank gear that stops you being able to remove the chain?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm getting a new tensioner anyway but it's not the cause. We tested it yesterday by pulling the plugs and cam cover then put a drill on the crank to turn it over so we could watch the tensioner. We also took the spring and pushrod out of the tensioner and replaced it with something solid and wound it in until the chain was really tight. Still knocked. But there's obvious sign of the chain rubbing in the pic above and its the exact area where the sounds seems to come from

Registered
I'm getting a new tensioner anyway but it's not the cause. We tested it yesterday by pulling the plugs and cam cover then put a drill on the crank to turn it over so we could watch the tensioner. We also took the spring and pushrod out of the tensioner and replaced it with something solid and wound it in until the chain was really tight. Still knocked. But there's obvious sign of the chain rubbing in the pic above and its the exact area where the sounds seems to come from
It sure looks like its scratchibg there. I havent done a cam chain change at all , so no usefull information on that from my side....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

Premium Member
If you dont have to split the cases and if you do, knowing how to repair it yourself is great skill.

Otherwise its like Sam Slade the Counties Manukau #8 being UNFAIRLY sin binned near the start of the game.

Registered
If you dont have to split the cases and if you do, knowing how to repair it yourself is great skill.

Otherwise its like Sam Slade the Counties Manukau #8 being UNFAIRLY sin binned near the start of the game.

no need to split the case for timing chain replacement, though that's not likely the cause.

If the tensioner is not the issue, its could be that the plastic guide has broken or the pin/screw that's holding is not affixing it properly

41 - 60 of 70 Posts