Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I bought this bike sight unseen as an insurance write-off. It has a bunch of cosmetic things to fix but nothing structural and was sold as having a good engine. Now yesterday after changing the oil and filter I started it up for the first time and it makes a horrid rattle noise in neutral but it goes away as soon as the engine has some load (in gear just slightly letting the clutch out, not enough to move, makes the noise disappear).

Is this the normal Z1000 engine noise I've been reading about or is this something that needs attention? I'm not sure if it sounds worse IRL because I'm listening for it but you can still hear in the video, it just sounds worse when you're right next to it.

Opinions wanted

Youtube Link

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Jesus Christ Mate, it sounds terrible!

It does sound like the valves.

Take the cover off, I hope you got a good deal ...

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Cam chain?

Hopefully it might be a simple repair but I wouldn't ride it like that until it was inspected by a mechanic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah going to pull the tensioner out tonight after work. Hopefully it's something reasonably simple...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resetting the tensioner didn't help. I then gave it an extra click to help it but no difference...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike was on the side stand while I filled it and was vertical several times as I checked the level. Not sure how this would affect anything?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Overfilling you bike with oil can lead to devestating issues aswell.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sometimes the oil filter needs burped after a fill if you fill it on the paddock stand. I had it happen once in 2013? It made gross noises, and I opened the filter a bit until oil came out. I had read the tip on here.

If you want to do it in a less janky way, pop the filter off, and put some oil in it, then re-install it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did prime the oil filter before winding it on but anythings worth a go at this stage. Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been warming it up everyday and I think the noise is getting quieter. It now disappears from 3500rpm on the stand, which it wans't doing before. I think I'll check the valve clearance this weekend. Is there a list of what gaskets etc. I'll need to get when doing this? I don't know how much disassembly there will be.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not actually sure, but you might as well do the air filter and spark plugs while you're in there.

Service manuals here:

·
Registered
207 Posts
methinks u could check the header bolts/gasket seal tightness at the engine. Seems it would mimic what you're hearing

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I've tightened them up and ordered some new exhaust manifold gaskets to completely eliminate it

1 - 20 of 69 Posts