Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New member from Sweden, just picked up my z1000.
I like to take my bike to the track 1-2 times / year and would like to have some tips to minimize scraping.

What can I do to have better lean angle?

Smaller exhaust is bought. What is next? rearsets?

My, now sold, Z800 was really good and you could get the knee down easy. I heard that the Z1000 have worse ground clearance. :nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to be able to track my Z1000 and keep a good phase with some sport-bikes.
If I can manage to get it to work OK for track I think that the Z1000 is the best of all worlds :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have anyone tried a "jack up kit" for trackdays?
Raising the rear of the Z1000 with 25mm would probably increase lean angle :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered the 25mm Jack up kit and will put a 190/55 tyre on the back.
So about 35mm lift total.
Will be fin to see how the bike performs :)

Lets hope it don´t get to unstable!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just installed my jack up kit and kan tell you that the bike feels like 30kg lighter and the turn in is night and day!
A great cheap mod for any one out there who likes to not just drive in a straight line ;)

Installation was 30minutes and you just need basic tools.
(OBS! 2jack stands is the easiest way to do it)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Where did you find a Jack-up kit for this bike?

If you decide to add rearsets, this set is decent. I dont sell these and I dont have anything to do with the company who does... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rider-Rear-Sets-Rearset-Footrest-Pegs-Aluminum-CNC-For-KAWASAKI-Z1000-2012-2016/163161127713?hash=item25fd293b21:g:qiQAAOSwjW5bU~CV

It requires careful set up, and lock-tite, but if you do that, they work really well. Spare parts are available, too. You just have to go to a Rizoma catalogue to find them...I really hate the idea of Chinese knock-off parts, but in this case, I dont know.....they work really well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is really cool that one small mod makes that much difference in the way the bike feels. What's your review on them now that you've gotten to ride for a while? Did you go 25mm? Would you go higher? They sell them up to 45mm now.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
AB-M currently has a 50% off sale on their HP4 style rear-sets. With these my engine case / belly-pan plastics and kickstand scrapes before my foot pegs. As with all most footrests, they are much shorter than stock though, and it does take time to get used to it.

Also, the 2014 and up 4th gen has a different rear linkage geometric than the 2010-2013 3rd gen (or all Ninja 1000 which uses 3rd gen linkage), If you mount 3rd gen linkage in 4th gen swingarm it raises the bike up 25mm, if you mount 4th gen linkage in 3rd gen it lowers the bike 25mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did a bit of calculation, and on a 2010-13 3rd gen, if you buy 4th gen linkages, both the dogbone and triangulated plate you can get various raising and lowering results. I have modeled both styles of linkages for each year to scale (own a pair of both), and then calculated the height change in degrees of lift.

These are degrees of change as in relation to the frame bike, NOT swingarm angle as measured to flat ground. 2 degrees of angle equates to about 25mm/1" of lowering/raising (as measured from axle to pillion grab handle).

See below for degrees of change when using a combination of 3rd/4th gen linkages. This weekend I'm planing on installing the 4th gen dogbone and expecting 2 degrees / 1" of ride height increase for better ground clearance and sharper steering. Unfortunately I cannon calculate rake / trail change as I would have to model the geometry of the whole bike, but I would assume it would go from 25 degrees rake to about 24.5 or so.

EDIT: actually I was able to calculate rake based based on wheelbase, tire circumference and factory rake. Interesting fact: by going from 190/50 to 190/55 the rake changes by 0.27 degrees, from the factory 25 to 24.73 degrees. By lifting the back of the bike up 1 inch via the '14 dogbone your rake is going to be at 24.15 degrees if used with the stock 190/50 tire size and 24.00 degrees when used with the larger 190/55 tire. 24 degree is pretty aggressive, but still not as aggressive as the 23.5 degrees that some sportbikes run. I may need to get a steering damper after I raise the rear.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts