Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just that really can anyone recommend discs and pads for my 2013 z1000 and decent road tyres and sizes 馃憤

Registered
quality brand name discs are expensive when bought new. Usually at least $500 or equivalent in pounds. I would not buy Chinese ones off ebay.

Most people just purchase OEM ones second hand. Based on your avatar it seems like you have a 2014 4th gen bike, not a 2013 which is a 3rd gen. The 4th gen bikes had 310mm discs, while the 3rd gen had 300mm discs. You can use Zx14r (I think it's called ZZR1400 in the UK) discs, which are a direct replacement for the 4th gen bike. While on the 3rd gen, you can use the same but would need caliper spacers. If you indeed have a 2013 3rd gen then you can use Z1000SX discs of any year without the need for spacers as those are 300mm

As far as pads, any sintered pads should be good.

Suggesting tires is like suggesting oil, everyone has their favorite and there is no wrong answer. Though I've personally never ran them, I head Bridgestone S22's are a good cheap option for road use.

Registered
Listen to ungarish about everything I鈥檇 also add if you want the bike to be more tippy like a conventional sports bike go with the 190/55 size it鈥檚 a small change that makes a big difference.

Registered
If you really want a good set of discs, and dont mind used, get the set from a 2016 or newer zx14se model. They are 310mm . Not exactly full on brembo, but not far off. I have a set on my concours 14 and another set on my ninja 1000. Both were used, but still as good as new. These are .5mm more thick than stock and way more durable. Like these:

329.00 is a lot, for used, but even still these are really good discs. Way better than brand new ebc, or chinese.

If you were to buy these discs, and these pads, you will be amazed at how good your front brakes are. Several steps above the typical Galfer or Ebc stuff. Brembo pads are also a great choice, but in the USA they are very expensive. For 140.00, for a complete set, these Vesrah pads will amaze you.

Registered
these are going to be my next tire more than likely. Dual compound in the front and triple compound in the rear. Excellent reviews and do good in the rain as well. I would be careful about going to a different size tire because the speedometer may not read correctly. Maybe someone can chime in on this but so far from what I鈥檝e read the speed reading will be slightly off with a 190/55/17?

Registered
but so far from what I鈥檝e read the speed reading will be slightly off with a 190/55/17?
It's already off stock, after going to the 55 and changing my gearing from 16-42 to 17-44, it is more accurate, well at least it correlates with other vehicles now

Registered
From what I understand, and I鈥檝e done a lot of research and a little testing on this, is the bike already tells you about 6-7 percent high. And the odo is slightly low. That鈥檚 why dudes will claim they clipped 160 on a stock bike that hits the limiter at 152. You add the 55 you get a little closer and the odo should be bang on. and I think either 16/43 or 16/42 (could even be 41, idk the forum I read it in is probably this one lol) got you pretty much within 1 mph of accurate but also because it鈥檚 now reading a lower speed your odometer will be a little low so a 100 mile ride will register like 96 miles.

Registered
are these the correct front brake disk rotors 41080 rcannon?

or

Registered
if you want Brembo's, then yes. However, if you just want plain old flower power discs that are 310mm (vs. 300mm stock on 3rd gen), then any year ZX14 will work and is way cheaper than those Brembos. However I think you already have a 4th gen, which came with 310mm as stock.

Registered
Yes, those are it....just like he said. You know, the brembo ones are more expensive, even used, but it's an excellent rotor. The 5mm spacer is cheap, too, if your bike needs them.

I didnt pay nearly that much for my used brembo zx14 rotors. Just do the ebay search for zx14 rotors. If you see round, double check, but it's probably these. One set I paid 149.00 for. The other was a full 199.00. Often times the people who part them out dont know any better and sell them cheap.

Also, dont be afraid to contact people selling zx14 wheels. If you see rhe round rotor attached, make them an offer for the rotor only. But, still a bargain at 329.00. I have them on my 1200lb concours 14 and they are amazing. With a good pad, like Vesrah, I didnt even change the master cylinder on that bike. It's still stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts