Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finished the Y-pipe and ran the bike on the dyno with the factory mufflers.

At first I was disappointed with the .3 HP gain but I'm verry pleased with the HP torque gains in the mid range.

The noise level is very nice, not nearly as loud as a full system but definitely a nice increase and a good tone and saves 12+/- pounds.

Stock exhaust

Here is the jig I built

My Y pipe

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m really impressed you took this project on. The only concern I would have left would be something like the wrong backpressure pulse getting to and through the exhaust valves. I don’t have the knowledge, experience or equipment to know what to look for, identify it and determine if it were a problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m really impressed you took this project on. The only concern I would have left would be something like the wrong backpressure pulse getting to and through the exhaust valves. I don’t have the knowledge, experience or equipment to know what to look for, identify it and determine if it were a problem.
Basicly since the y pipe is after the factory collector the scavenging effect of the exhaust pulses are not diminished.

I'm considering making a transition pipe that will let me use a slip on muffler from a full system with my factory header.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
How would this get put on since we don't have the jig to line up the welds?
Pics look like repair made it so that is a clamp on - just like the slip on mufflers. Basically, you would have to cut the stock pipe to length, then just slip the new replacement pipe on and tighten the clasp.

Repair, did you incorporate the hanger hook that is on the stock pipe?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know I'm no expert on exhaust systems so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong . I wouldn't think you would have any issues with backpressure or anything simply because all he did was basically make an aftermarket collector like arrow or akro has. Some retuning might be suggested for having better flow but as far as damaging an exhaust valve because of low back pressure you should be fine I would thing.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
567 Posts
So as I understand it you simply did a baseline dyno run, then installed the new "Y-pipe" section and finally did a post dyno run?

I like the weight savings, did not know that it was so much!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics look like repair made it so that is a clamp on - just like the slip on mufflers. Basically, you would have to cut the stock pipe to length, then just slip the new replacement pipe on and tighten the clasp.

Repair, did you incorporate the hanger hook that is on the stock pipe?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
You are correct, I used a 3" stainless steel muffler clamp.

I didn't put the hanger on yet, I was running out of time and I wanted to get the Dyno results.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You got me curious now. I may see what the local shop charges to make a couple of runs to see HP/Tq readings. There is one difference between your bike and mine is the rear sprocket. I have a ZX-10R sprocket....I would change it before the dyno runs though. One question, what gear did you do your runs in?

Jose

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got me curious now. I may see what the local shop charges to make a couple of runs to see HP/Tq readings. There is one difference between your bike and mine is the rear sprocket. I have a ZX-10R sprocket....I would change it before the dyno runs though. One question, what gear did you do your runs in?

Jose
It's funny that you would ask....we tried it in 4th 5th and 6th.

the reading was so close in 5th and 6th that you would say that they are the same but in 4th the Dyno reads 1HP+/- lower.

Normally we run bikes in 5th gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok here is my first Youtube Video.......

Stock dyno run.

Dyno run with new Y pipe

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you get a before and after? It's hard to compare sound quality and volume on YouTube.
I just added the stock run but it was recorded with a different camera

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It isn't like putting slip on mufflers louder, it's just a nice increase and a slightly lower tone.

We have a new 2012 Z1000 in stock so if I can make some time on Thursday I will take a new video with the stock bike and my bike and I will take decibel readings.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts