Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 zed, with just over 12000kms (7500miles) I not long did a service all new oil, oil filter and spark plugs, and now I have what sounds like a engine rattle, I can hear it more on the left side of the engine, which the timing chain is on the right side so I dought it's a loose chain, but when I rev it only a very little I can hear what sounds like a chain rattle, or could be a slight ping or a lifter rattle, it's hard to hear due to the urban brawlers but there is def a rattle sound, should I be worried or could this just be a lifter rattle, I use to have a Yamaha R6 and they had the yammy tick which you can't fix, wondering maybe the zed has some thing similar, any help would be awesome, might take it to the dealer I got it from on the weekend for them to have a listen but I'm just not sure.

Cheers Mitch

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
143 Posts
yeah my 2012 Z does the same, 3000 miles. i was wandering if its normal, even thought was it just me being paranoid, getting mine booked in for a service soon so im going to mention it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yea, mine started making a little noise, as well as vibrating a bit more at higher RPMs. I think its the timing chain.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Great.

Now I gotta really pay attention and listen to mine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kawi's do have a pretty loud valve train. I know my 06 ninja made a bunch of noise while idling (valve ticking). I'm sure the Zed have the same kawi noise.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
When you pull the clutch in dose it stop? I have a 2010 and have never heard this noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pull your cam chain tensioner and reset it. That should clear up the noise.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes does it with the clutch in. Not a clutch noise.

I'd rather not touch the chain tensioner if I'm going to get it adjusted I will let the dealer ship do that

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's not that difficult, but is very highly likely where your noise is coming from. Sometimes they just need to be reset.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
yeah mine does have a change in noise when i pull the clutch in? why is that?
All bikes have clutch noise that is quieter when you pull the clutch lever, normal unless it is really loud.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah my 2012 Z does the same, 3000 miles. i was wandering if its normal, even thought was it just me being paranoid, getting mine booked in for a service soon so im going to mention it to the dealer.
yup, sounds like my bike too. just hit the 3,000 mile mark and started noticing the engine being louder.. wonder if its a common issue.. i have a thread going now on:
Z1000 loud engine noises? - Page 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took mine to the dealer where I bought it and they said it was just the injectors. That was with them only listening to it for like 10 minutes. The sound got worse so I took it to a different dealer and they diagnosed a faulty cam chain tensioner. Been waiting a month for the thing to come in though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts