Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

more been a while since I got rid of my ‘06 Z1k and looking at getting back on one.
I’ve recently spied a 2011 ABS for quite cheap in Sydney, NSW with only 20,000km, new tyres, chain and sprocket and apparently just serviced.

I’ve been out of the game too long and search didn’t bring anything up, but what are some issues (if any) with this series that I should look out for?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey guys,

more been a while since I got rid of my ‘06 Z1k and looking at getting back on one.
I’ve recently spied a 2011 ABS for quite cheap in Sydney, NSW with only 20,000km, new tyres, chain and sprocket and apparently just serviced.

I’ve been out of the game too long and search didn’t bring anything up, but what are some issues (if any) with this series that I should look out for?
As far as i know the 3rd gen has no real obvious issues. Except for the chocolate gearboxes(teeath on 3rd AND 4th gear and dogbone can strip). It happens, but not often. You'd rather be unlucky if it does happen to you. @Ungarisch is the real expert on 3rd gen z1000

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
simply M - another possible issue is the mounting position of the regulator/rectifier is bad on the 3rd gen. Preventative fixes are searchable here on the forum.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There is no Z1000 specific issues that I can think of, other than the aforementioned false neutral / transmission issue, but again that is more of a Japanese bike thing rather than a Z1000 specific thing. Since you're in a dry climate like me, I wouldn't worry much about the reg/rec, it isn't really an issues if you don't ride in rain a lot. Like I mentioned in my other reply, the main thing I would look out for on a 3rd gen is cosmetic issues because most body part are no longer available as NOS, and most used body parts on ebay are in terrible condition. Also, corrosion / oxidation is another issue, where it can make a small job turn into a nightmare. I recently spent 3 hours getting the swingarm bolt out because it was completely seized inside the swingarm bearing because the factory grease turned into what seemed like threadlock powder! and this was on a California bike, I would hate to image how much worse a wet climate bike could have been!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think Mr.Kawasaki has been using the same tin of grease for wheel spindles/swingarm since 1969. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Make sure it doesn't pop out of gear under acceleration. 4th gear in particular! A few of us on this site have experienced this. If so it needs gears replaced. Not Cheep!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
hmm. never had that 'pop out' issue with mine.

I do get annoyed when I forget to give it just a lil throttle upon warm restarts, like at the gas station. It will fire then die. Very common issue solved with a slight twist of the wrist!

hmmm what else, oh, very important - the Zed begs for mods and has a tendency to empty your wallet :giggle:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts