Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Z1000 with 2000 km on it. I havbe problems some times when downshifting especially from 2nd gear. The shifter takes several pushes to downshift. Coming to a stoplight it takes a hard push to go down the gears with the clutch all in. It seems like the shifter is sticking failry firm and needs a good push> It happens probably 30% of the time and sometime with 3rd gear. I thought it might wear in - but no. Any ideas about what it is and what I need to do?

PS. I had a new 06 Z, and a new 08 Z - neither had this issue.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Make sure you clutch is fully disengaging. Blipping the throttle also eases downshifts tremendously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch?

Thanks guys. It may be the clutch needing some attention. I have noticed that when I pull the clutch in, there seems to be a lag before the engine disengages. As it is under warrenty, I will get it looked at.

·
Registered
85 Posts
AS the bike progressively runs in it will improve.
I have 7000 Kms on mine and have moved to Motul synthetic
and have found the shifting is smoother.
However you should ask your delaer to look at it and maybe score
a new cluth. The Z1 has a cable clutch and its not up to par with the motor.
My CB1 had a hydrolic and never ever had any issues or sticky problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the 3rd Zed has a bit of a long throw tranny.

I have a 2010 Z and didn't notice this until I got Sato rear sets that cleaned this up a bunch, not the shifts are much more confident and intentional. Problem is, even in their lowest setting, they sit a bit above the stockers. Making comfort an issue.

·
Registered
779 Posts
AS the bike progressively runs in it will improve.
I have 7000 Kms on mine and have moved to Motul synthetic
and have found the shifting is smoother.
However you should ask your delaer to look at it and maybe score
a new cluth. The Z1 has a cable clutch and its not up to par with the motor.
My CB1 had a hydrolic and never ever had any issues or sticky problems.
I've noticed when I changed to Synth I got a little bit of clutch slip in 1st sometimes, usually first take off only.

I've never really been super happy with the stock clutch. It's gotten better with age but is still pretty damn snatchy and the slip isn't cool.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you blipping the throttle as you down-shift? You know, rev-matching? In the event you are not, try doing this and see if it helps you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
How much clutch lever travel do you have? It should be 1/8" to 3/32". Even a clutch out of adjustment will shift fine. My smoothest shifts are at half clutch lever travel. The little bit of drag on the friction plates helps the dogs engage.

If the lever travel is fine, then I say bent shift forks. Take it in for service/warranty. No reason for this to be like this at 2k.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Every bike I've had acts that if you try to downshift all the way down through the gears while stopped at a light. While you are coming up to a light and braking, just click through the gears while you are still rolling and the clutch pulled in and it's fine. You can go all the way down to first if you like, I prefer to slowly go down through them though and get into first right before I come to a stop. But ya, if you are stopped letting the clutch out a bit just to barely engage will let ya get down to the next one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Every bike I've had acts that if you try to downshift all the way down through the gears while stopped at a light. While you are coming up to a light and braking, just click through the gears while you are still rolling and the clutch pulled in and it's fine. You can go all the way down to first if you like, I prefer to slowly go down through them though and get into first right before I come to a stop. But ya, if you are stopped letting the clutch out a bit just to barely engage will let ya get down to the next one.
:+1:Good point!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've just clocked over 6oookm and the downchange is still terrible when cold. It improves when warmed up but is very annoying. My local dealer said to expect it till up to 30000km.......not too sure about that. I have just changed to a semi synthetic to see if that will improve it.
Richj.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
I've just clocked over 6oookm and the downchange is still terrible when cold. It improves when warmed up but is very annoying. My local dealer said to expect it till up to 30000km.......not too sure about that. I have just changed to a semi synthetic to see if that will improve it.
Richj.
I'm a service manager at a Kawasaki dealership so lets try to get some more info about the problem.

1st - what gear are you having the problem in or is it all gears?

2nd - what speed does this happen at?

3rd - have you takin it in to your local deaer and let them ride it or have you just taklked to them about it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Condition normal. Gen 3 gearbox is notchy. Use Amsoil 10w40, check clutch adjustment on warm engine and blip throttle when downshifting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a service manager at a Kawasaki dealership so lets try to get some more info about the problem.

1st - what gear are you having the problem in or is it all gears?

2nd - what speed does this happen at?

3rd - have you takin it in to your local deaer and let them ride it or have you just taklked to them about it?
Sorry for the delayed reply....been off site for some time.
Generally issue is worse when cold and down changing from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.
Speed would only be maybe 10-20km/h as if pulling up to stop at an intersection.
I do occassionally notice that when I do come to a stop that the clutch doesn't feel like its disengaging as it wants to continue to drive...generally this is worse when not fully at operating temp as well.
The clutch appears to be adjusted correctly and as I said it not so noticeable when warmed up.
The other thig is the initial selction of first gear from start up....if the bike has not warmed up enough and the revs haven't lowered to normal idle speed the noise is quite terrible from the box. Even when warmed up this initial selection is not always pretty. After that initial selection it is not too bad from then on.
The more I explain the symptons the more I feel the clutch plates are not disengaging properly when cold. I have over 8000km now.
I do love this bike. The more I ride it the more I love it.
This clutch issue is my only complaint.
I have let the local dealer look at it and all they did was adjust the gear selector???????

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kawasaki transmissions have always been loud and clunky. Sounds normal to me. Ninjawasaki gave some good advice. Don't downshift into a gear that you would be driving in at that speed. For example, coasting to a stop at 30 mph, don't go all the way into first.

My rule is I usually go to 3rd at 30, 2nd under 20, and 1st under 10 to keep the shifting as smooth as possible.

That first gear selection of the day has been and always will be extremely loud and threatening. Completely normal on all bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
:+1:
Kawasaki transmissions have always been loud and clunky. Sounds normal to me. Ninjawasaki gave some good advice. Don't downshift into a gear that you would be driving in at that speed. For example, coasting to a stop at 30 mph, don't go all the way into first.

My rule is I usually go to 3rd at 30, 2nd under 20, and 1st under 10 to keep the shifting as smooth as possible.

That first gear selection of the day has been and always will be extremely loud and threatening. Completely normal on all bikes.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i always downshift as im coming to a stop and never have a issue. sometimes ill do the blip of the throttle just to make some noise but.. def downshifts better when rolling then say coming to a full stop while in 6th gear and trying to downshift through all of them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It seems most other supersport can be downshifted pretty easily when the motor is at low revs.

The Z however, always fightts me at low RPM. I find my smoothing downshifts are between like 4500-6000. Below that, it's hard as **** to get a smooth downshift without excessive engine brake or a little rear wheel kick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts