Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

2011 Literbike Streetfighter Shootout

7K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JSharp 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Shootout between
Honda CB1000R vs. Kawasaki Z1000 vs. Triumph Speed Triple

2011 Literbike Streetfighter Shootout - Motorcycle.com

Check it out, not going to ruin it for ya but the results dont surprise me just based on who wrote it.
Those results do surprise me, based on their past reviews and comparisons with the 2010 Z1000.

Those are all nice bikes and I wouldn't mind any of them. But I'll still keep my candy lime green Z1000, just the same.

For anyone who has swapped the 190/50 rear tire for a 190/55 -- does it really improve the handling as much as they suggest it would?

#3 ·
For anyone who has swapped the 190/50 rear tire for a 190/55 -- does it really improve the handling as much as they suggest it would?
Based on the '10 model, it may just be an issue with the stock tires. Many people changed to different model 190/50s and reported dramatic handling improvements. I'm one of them.

#5 ·
I agree, ridingswitch, but lets be fair - they're slip ons. They don't make a whopping performance difference. While they may account for the difference in peak HP (2.3 in favor of Triumph), there's no discounting the torque difference. As much as 10 lb ft down low and always above. That's a big advantage.

What I'm a bit more curious about is the weight savings brought by the slipons and how that factors in. Many slipons for the Z drop the weight by ~10+ pounds, which would largely negate the cited weight advantage and impact handling. It's particularly noteworthy because, on the Triple, the weight reduction comes from so high up, thus lowering the center of gravity.

I think it's a pretty fair evaluation, all things considered. The advantages of a slipon won't account for all of the differences presented and the Triumph has marginally better equipment. Better stock tires, better brake lines, and also a significantly higher price tag. On a pure stock performance front, I don't think it's easy to argue in favor of the Z. However, spend the price difference in upgrading the Z - like stainless brake lines, new tires, and good slipons - and you make up a good amount of ground. That said, even with a full Akrapovic system and tuning, the Triumph in stock form will still likely put out equal, if not higher torque figures in the low to mid range.

Again, that's still talking pure performance. Some are more comfortable with the quality and reliability of Japanese bikes. Others focus on the value and the fact that it's easy to get a big discount on a Z that frequently more than doubles the MSRP price difference between the two bikes. I'm happy with the review. They're great bikes and I'm happy to have such awesome options.

Also glad to see it plainly laid out how lacking the CB1000R is.

#8 ·
Again, that's still talking pure performance. Some are more comfortable with the quality and reliability of Japanese bikes. Others focus on the value and the fact that it's easy to get a big discount on a Z that frequently more than doubles the MSRP price difference between the two bikes. I'm happy with the review.
I said I was surprised in my first reply to this thread because in last year's motorcycle.com head-to-head comparison between the 2010 Z1000 and Speed Triple, the conclusion was unanimous that the Z won the comparo. Given that the 2011 Z is unchanged from the 2010 model, the Speed Triple must have gone through significant improvements between last year and this year.

But I'm also happy with the review. It's not like they ripped the Z -- they heaped a lot of praise on it. It just got beat.

The good news is that this manufacturer's competition is a good thing. It's like the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger competition among U.S. muscle cars. Ford already had a good car with the 2005 to 2010 4.6 liter GT, but when Chevy announced the Camaro with a 6.2 liter 422 hp engine, what did Ford do? They responded with their own 412 hp 5.0 liter, and now both cars are better than ever. Don't expect Kawasaki to ignore the competition.

#6 · (Edited)
I think that it is a joke to. Last years shoot out they did the same thing,If you were to put slip ons and I am sure the triumph has some degree of EFI tuning with those pipes,the Kawasaki would come out on top,but i guess thats how they sell bikes:screwy The stock spec for the speed is 478 wet 130 crank HP DO THE MATH

#7 ·
Zephyr, the '11 Speed Triple claimed crank is 133 (up from 128) and wet weight 471 (down from 477). That's only 5 HP shy of the Z's claim.

Looking at the stock bikes, the Z1000 likely has a small advantage in peak HP, while the Speed Triple has a significant advantage in torque across the board. It's also likely that the Speed Triple is only 2-3 lbs lighter in stock trim. All in, they're very close and it comes down to minor differences and preferences. I'm no less happy with my bike, nor was I surprised with the outcome of the review.

#9 ·
It really doesn't matter to me who won the comparison, I just would like to see all 3 stock bikes go head to head. Just didn't like to see one get an advantage over the others with the slip-on exhaust. Because your talking about a lower weight, little bit more hp and torque.

In all honesty I almost picked up the speed triple instead of my z. What it came down to was dealer support, looks, and the cost. There are no dealers with 300 miles of where I live, the triple cost more, and I couldn't get over those headlights. But I still like the bike despite these issues.

#11 ·
britt bike mags are great, but they do cater to the home team. in a 600 cc shoot out they pic the datona 675. that is right 675cc. maybe a GSXR 750 would be fair game for the datona 675.
i did a demo ride last year on a speed tripple. it was fun and i liked it. but as i road my 2004 Z1000 home i liked it better REALLY.

#12 ·
If you guys think this review is biased, wait until you see Cycle World's article comparing the Ninja 1000SX to the new Suzuki GSX1250... The 1250 is heavier, slower, harder to stop, harder to accelerate, as less HP...and wins the comparison.

What a ****ing joke.

#14 ·
The Cycle World review wasn't that bad. The last sentence was something like, "It's really splitting hairs between these bikes, because they both excel at different things. However, our criteria is versatility and the Suzuki just barely edges the Kawasaki out in that regard."

Personally, I wish some of these shootouts weren't about declaring a winner, but providing comparative context between the two. Remove the last line about who "wins" and the article is good/helpful.

#15 ·
I had some interest in riding one of the Triumphs before I bought my Ninja. Just one problem. Only 5 Triumph dealers in Illinois, all of them 100 miles away from me or more. No way would I buy one and have the dealer be 2+ hours away.

In contrast there are 10 Kawasaki dealers within 75 miles of here.

#16 ·
I had some interest in riding one of the Triumphs before I bought my Ninja. Just one problem. Only 5 Triumph dealers in Illinois, all of them 100 miles away from me or more. No way would I buy one and have the dealer be 2+ hours away.

In contrast there are 10 Kawasaki dealers within 75 miles of here.
W.O.P in Decatur is 2 hrs from you/me? I have only been there once I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.