Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all – just bought a new 2010 Z1000 and am very impressed by the bike overall coming from a Ninja 650r.. Have put about 80 miles on it now..

However, there is a strong buzzing/vibration when the RPM get above 5-6k in 1st gear, and then somewhat higher in the upper gears.

I’m not sure if this is normal for the bike given that all I read about it how smooth it is.

I was testing this earlier today and found that, in 1st, by the time I’m up at 8-9k rpm there is an intense vibration transmitting all through my legs from where they grip the tank. The seat and throttle grip also vibrate – it is a very “high pitched” vibration – the vibration rate is very fast, not like a slow shaking or anything – more of an intense buzzing that occurs.. AT lower rpm, below 5k there is no vibration to speak of.. The vibration starts when the engine starts to really turn on and make that great noise..

There is also what sounds like a rattling noise in the front right part of the bike, like from in the fairing or console..

I’m going to take it back to the Kawi dealer tomorrow and see what’s what – I’m worried I somehow have a defective Z1000 – it was sitting in the showroom for like a year before I bought it, though it was of course emptied of it’s fluids and such.. Is excessive vibration on a bike that’s supposed to be smooth a legitimate warranty complaint?

Do other people experience this? Below 5k rpm the bike is smooth and awesome feeling, but then that vibration starts and it’s hard to enjoy the ride..

·
Registered
99 Posts
can't say I have felt the vibration but then I don't push the bike in first the way you do
above 5k in third gear feels ok to me but then againe i'm just hanging on enjoying the ride

·
Registered
875 Posts
never noticed 9 grand buzz. right on past in first and second after that i cruise. at 5 to 6 grand .don't look down often enough to know for sure. right grip buzzes more than left, but i'm used to that. havin so much fun i never noticed. did notice tank slapper starting at 120. never did this un til i changed the tires. need balancing i'm sure. never drive at 5 grand in 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something is loose. Hopefully the dealer can find it. Mine has no such buzz, but I think I know what you mean, because my ER-6n developed a similar-sounding buzz a month or so ago that came and went a few times, then came and stayed. In my case, it sounded like it was coming from the front fender, and was a "plastic" sounding buzz.

Rob

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hi i had a simular problem.
Check your right front tank pedastl rubber mount!
When i was installing my fuel mapper i noticed mine had
Fallen of the frame.
A little rtv put it bacck in place.
Hope this helps ....barry

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was rereading this thread and thinking... also check your exhaust. Start at the motor and work your way back. Check for tightness and also that it's not touching (or close to touching) anything. Your description of the vibration felt all over makes me think your exhaust is the culprit.

I realized this because I had a similar problem on my DR650. I installed a set of Givi side case mounting brackets, and then noticed a really nasty vibration from 3900-4300 RPM (exactly at cruise speed) that was bad enough that it was making it hard to see or even think. It took a couple of days to realize it might have something to do with the rack.

So upon closer inspection, I realized the right side rack was pressing against the right side panel that covered the pipe. The plastic wasn't melted or anything, but there was still enough vibration transfer. So I added a half dozen washers to the upper mount to space it away from the panel, and it's been fine ever since.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on - I think it's just the natural buzz from the I-4 engine - it's really not strong, and actually feels kinda good - sure lets me know the bike is ramping up the power delivery.. If I keep it under 6-7k though it's basically nonexistent - the motor overall is very smooth and just super yummy - I love the way the bike feels when it accelerates!

On my 650r I knew the power delivery at every rpm in every gear, and knew when I was riding the bike to its limits engine-wise - not so on the Z1000 - there's this ocean of power beyond what I'm using and that's a cool feeling..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts