Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

2010 Loose Gas Tank?

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Hoffy 
#1 ·
Recently had a car (woman) pull out in front of me - straight across. I hit her with the bike sideways - skidding on locked rear wheel. Hit throttle hand first on the drivers side A-pillar and then rest of me and bike followed, so practically the entire right side of the bike made some contact. Luckily I got it down to about 12mph before impact. One broken finger, some scratched plastic, and seemingly no other damage. Still need to get it inspected.

Anyway, went through the bike with a fine tooth comb and noticed the tank had a lot of movement (play) left to right. Never noticed this before. I removed the seat and shroud on the tank, tightened the bolts, but they were already pretty tight. Didn't really affect the movement.
Can others move the tank left and right? If you grab it on either side does it move an 1.5 inches or more?

Thanks

#2 ·
I had my tank off last week while routing the wires for my GPS mount. I can tell you there is NO play in the gas tank, at least not the 1.5" you're talking about.

I hope you kicked her *** with your good hand. I really think we need to make accident consequences much worse for car drivers when they cause an accident with a motorcycle. I think permanent loss of license on the first offense, public execution on the second.

Rob

#4 ·
There is a difference in a accident and a wreck? A wreck is when something happens beyond your control like hitting a deer, tire blows out etc. A accident is when either you or them is not paying attention. like talking on cell,reading a news paper,playing with the dog,or all three.:eek:

#5 ·
@ jeff704, i did notice a slight movement on the gas tank when shifting it from side to side when i was cleaning, however i do not think mine moved around 1.5 inches. it seems its there for a little play but could not tell u why. as of now, im guessing theres nothing wrong with it

#7 ·
loose tank

From what I noticed, there are two rubber bushings which support the gas tank from touching the frame, they are located right under the tank. The reason my tank had some play was because that bushing moved a bit away from the spot which happens when it gets really hot either during summer or riding. This might of happened to urs as well.

#11 ·
there is quite some play for the tank... but 1.5 is too much...

here's what you can do. take apart the front cover above your tank, next to the ignition... you'd immediately see the nuts bolting the tank down... two of em... look at it from the side while you shake the tank... you'd be able to the the play are...

fix it by inserting more rubber spacers... case closed... if it still shakes then check the bottom part of the tank...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.