Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer checking out gear and went to leave and the key would not turn in the ignition lock. It would turn to the left and I could lockout the forks but would not turn the other way. The shop checked it out and called kawi. Kawi said to replace all 3 locks on bike - ignition, seat lock, and gas lock. While they were calling Kawi the lock started working, but they still decided to change out all of the locks. I love how efficient it was dealing with the dealer. Awsome service.

Just wondering if this is an isolated incident or if anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its really strange. I tried for 5 minutes to get the key to work and the parts manager tried for another 5. While he was inside calling kawi I tried one more time and it worked. Really strange.

·
Registered
29 Posts
no problems with mine except for sometimes it's hard just to stick the key in the switch.found out later it was my fault for not using the little door flap on the side of the key slot and not just aiming for the center.

·
Registered
875 Posts
mine did the same thing. scared me cause i was alone and far from home. monkeyed with the key and bars at the same time and it unlocked. haven;t locked it since. am i seeing a pattern here. if i'm going to change all three locks somebody else is going to pay.(recall?:mad::mad::mad:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks to be a somewhat common problem. Just lucky I was at the dealer when it happened because I live in the middle of the desert. Dealer said I got the last lockset in the Northwest.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Common may have been the wrong word choice, should have said issues. Still waiting on mine to get fixed, apparently there are tamper resistant screws on the ignition that have to be drilled out. And kawi forgot to send the screws with the lockset. I starting to have withdrawls for not riding!

·
Registered
875 Posts
how much did it cost? i don't use my lock anymore. just tried it that once, but may when i go out of town and stay the night.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was covered under warranty. I imagine that that it wouldn't have been cheap since they had to replace all 3 locks on the bike. They also did the brake line recall at the same time which saved me a trip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Been a bit busy lately, haven't been online.
My bike has developed the same problem & is booked into the dealer tomorrow. (Warranty)
I've noticed mine gets worse when I've washed the bike or it's been sitting in the rain.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Back from the dealer.
All the did was spray some brake cleaner in the lock to clean it & then sprayed WD40 into it.
Works fine now, but I personally don't like WD40 in locks. (neither do locksmiths!)
Might try some spray lithium grease.
Same stuff they use on auto door latches but in a spray form that leaves a thin white grease behind when the solvents evaporate.

·
Registered
875 Posts
we have a product called lockease here, designed for locks has graphite powder in it also some stores have a dry graphite powder for lubing speedometers and such. used to sell it when i worked in a parts store years ago.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back from the dealer.
All the did was spray some brake cleaner in the lock to clean it & then sprayed WD40 into it.
Works fine now, but I personally don't like WD40 in locks. (neither do locksmiths!)
Might try some spray lithium grease.
Same stuff they use on auto door latches but in a spray form that leaves a thin white grease behind when the solvents evaporate.

Do you actually think the lock was dirty? My bike only had 200 miles on it when the ignition lock froze up, I had not even cleaned it yet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
my story is about the same low miles tried lock didn't want to unlock. have never used a hose on my bike dry cleaner only. no rain at that time either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you actually think the lock was dirty? My bike only had 200 miles on it when the ignition lock froze up, I had not even cleaned it yet.
Mine's just hit 6000km but always been a bit hard to get that last bit when putting the key in.
Much better now, although I havent had time to wash the bike since. (been riding too much!!!)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow. This is news to me as well. Ive got about 6K miles on my bike, and I ride it to work daily (except in the rain...) and I lock the steering all the time - and I have not had this issue.

I did, however, have the same issue with my 1996 ZX7RR. Turned out to be a combination of dirt inside the lock (WD-40 fixed that for a while) and the fact that the key simply wore down after years and years of use. I ended up replacing the ignition on that (they couldnt make me another key, since they were just copying a key that was already so worn!)

But I dont see either dirt or a worn key being a problem on a 2010 with 200 miles on it.

Then again - you said you live in the desert. Sand particles get down the keyhole?!?!?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think it's sand in the keyhole; I've had constant difficulty with mine, too. I thought it was just because it's a new bike, and I'm a new rider; That being the case, I refused to force it on the few times it was really being a pain in the rear (like the day I thought the lock had frozen solid...) and just drove my truck to work.

I also didn't know about the brake-recall... think it's time to go digging up these tidbits, and get the bike to the shop wen I get home after my in-definite Italian vacation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts