Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost since new, my 2010 has had a hot-starting problem. Today I finally took it by the local dealer to have a look. Fortunately, it acted up for the dealer, so he's going to be on the phone with Kawasaki to see if they can figure it out.

Once warm, whenever you restart it, if you press the start button and release it when you think it's started, the bike dies. It did this for the service writer perfectly. I've gotten so used to it doing this, that I hold the starter button in about two seconds longer, and it starts up. It'll fire up, sound like it starts, die, then start again. This all happens within 2-3 seconds... you wouldn't even notice it as a bystander if I didn't point it out. Still, it's weird.

I'll post again when I know more.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey RobG,

Yeah my zed does the exact same thing. Starts fine when its cold, but i have to hold the button down for a second or two longer to start it when its warm. I actually didn't think too much about it, let me know how you go. Would be very interested if there is something wrong...

Cheers

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
we should definitely make a thread about this starting prob a sticky.... how many threads do we have on this subject now?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have been others? I've never seen one here. Wow.

Rob

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunh... oh well, I missed those. Surprising since I do check this place every few days. It's not a real active site so I'm definitely surprised I missed it.

Well if the dealer comes up with anything I'll report back. Sounds like this affects pretty much all of them. Though FWIW, the service writer has a 2007 Z1000 and says his doesn't do it.

Rob

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
my '03 does it, but I have the idle turned back a little more than spec, I can turn it up and it stops doing it.... Don't know if this works on the newer ones or not......

·
Registered
555 Posts
It never does it on my '07?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I found if you you just hit the starter while your fuel pump is singing just after turning your ignition on it starts first time-every time.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Yea, it sucks when someone likes your bike, then when you go to crank it,it starts then dies and you have to start it again! not good. :mad:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I found if you you just hit the starter while your fuel pump is singing just after turning your ignition on it starts first time-every time.

Yep, this is what I'v been doing and its never missed a start. I hit the starter as soon as I turn the key on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea, i am experiencing that too. hit the button no start. i hav to give it a little throttle.....when i take it in for first oil change. i will tell dealer to fix or look into.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine does the same...just tried doing what was mentioned before (hit starter while the fuel pump was still running) cranked right up both times. I feel better doing that than leaving the starter engaged a bit longer, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they're all doing it, which it sounds like they do, then it's either (a) normal, or (b) a very minor issue. I'm used to holding in the button for the extra second or two; it's really not a big deal. I just finally thought to ask the dealer about it, and figured I would post here too since I hadn't seen the earlier threads on it. I wouldn't sweat it.

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had that happen to me a couple of times with the Z and some old bikes that I had.

I somehow learned to feel it as soon as i hit the starter and my instinct is to blip the throttle.

It works every time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine does it too. Thought it was due for a new set of plugs until I read this thread.
Tried the "start as soon as turning the key" trick & all is good!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts