Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ECU has been hacked/reflashed.

we did all the neat stuff we do to the zx10r: remove the timing retards in the lower gears, remap the secondary throttle body plates, re curve the timing, adjust fuel trims, raise the rev limiter, and remove the speed limiter.

Joseph McClughan
Dynotronics,Inc
[URL="http://www.dptune.com/"]www.DPTune.com[/URL]
Should be deliverred tomorrow. I'll have to zero my Bazzaz. It'll be interesting to see what AFRs their map produces.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works! I hope they didn't kick too much timing in down low. These bikes seem to already be right on the verge of detonation/pre-ignition if you load them hard at low RPM. More timing that comes in sooner will make that even worse...

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they didn't kick too much timing in down low. These bikes seem to already be right on the verge of detonation/pre-ignition if you load them hard at low RPM. More timing that comes in sooner will make that even worse...
I haven't had any issues [before the flash] and I run 87 octane. If by load you mean dropping down below 3k rpm's in the upper gears, that equals abuse in my book. ;) But then I've always run my bikes (various year ZX10R's) with about 4* of Ign advance (slotted pickup) and low octane fuel. I know to stay away from low rpm/high load danger zones. ...just a riding/tuning preference I guess. I'll try a few 6th gear low rpm dips to see if there are issues and report back.

I'm hoping to pick up some low rpm torque with the flies opening quicker and the ign curve adjustment. Also take advantage of the over run up top. I only asked for 300 more rpms as i don't plan to change valve springs and I rarely run it to redline. Plus the off throttle fuel cut elimination. ...they do that on the ZX10R's; I've not had confirmation that they did it on the N1K yet... hope so.

If the fuel map is close enough I may sell the Bazzaz to elimate some complexity and potential point of failure. ...although I do like having the map switch to play with different AFR mappings. :dontknow: There is the option to send the ECU back to have your fuel map flashed/updated instead of their map. ...so those with custom tunes, if you want to do away with your PC/Bazzaz you can....:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Keep us posted on this but honestly it has to be better than stock. I initially was impressed with the fueling on my bike. But the more I ride it the more I notice that's it's really not that accurate. It has spark rattle with even moderate loads if you're much below 4K RPM that's worse in cold weather or when the engine is cold. Yet when the engine is cold it's rich enough you can smell it. When I did an oil analysis of the factory fill it showed almost 3% fuel dilution even after riding the bike for an hour+ at full operating temperature. Those things and the fuel mileage tell me it's running plenty rich much of the time.

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the off throttle fuel cut elimination. ...they do that on the ZX10R's; I've not had confirmation that they did it on the N1K yet... hope so.
They confirmed the fuel cut is eliminated with the reflash. :cool:

ECU not deliverred yet so still no first impressions.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Forgot to ask before. What's the $$ on this and how long do they need your ECU? If it works like you think it will I'd certainly be interested.

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to ask before. What's the $$ on this and how long do they need your ECU? If it works like you think it will I'd certainly be interested.
Hoping the vendor will be posting soon to aswer those questions directly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These bikes seem to already be right on the verge of detonation/pre-ignition if you load them hard at low RPM. More timing that comes in sooner will make that even worse...
Hi...
Do you hear knock/pinging at these conditions on your bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry, but what speed limiter is he talking about?
Does the N1K has it?
Because the Z1000 does not...
And I doubt it has retarding on lower gears too.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi...
Do you hear knock/pinging at these conditions on your bike?
Yes, I have some. it's gotten better as the weather has gotten warmer and the bike has broken in but it's still there at times. I even run 93+ octane fuel consistently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't worry, it's not knock.
When I first rode my 2011 Z1000 I was very worried.
I work with engine tuning so I'm used to hear knock very easily.
I heard it knock exactly on the conditions that you told.
I drained all the fuel of the bike, put 100 octane fuel on it and it was still knocking.

Then I installed on the Z the Dastek Unichip, a piggyback computer that I use here to tune engines.
At the dyno I could hear the "knock".
I retarded the timing a lot, until the engine was very very weak, and the "knock" sound was exactly the same.
And I'm using 100 octane fuel.

It's not knock. But I still don't know where it comes from.

After I tuned, around this area that we can hear what sounds like a knock, the tuned map was with something like +6 degrees over the stock.
And the "knock" sound didn't change, it's exactly the same as before...

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did about 40 miles just to get a quick feel for the changes. The on/off throttle transition is "fixed" and the bike feels like it pulls harder all over the RPM and TP range.

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure what the speed limiter was set at b4 on the N1k, but I can tell you it pulled an indicated 158mph (on a closed course in Mexico) 2up at about 10800 rpm b4 I shut down just in time to see smokey topping a rise. He lit up the bubble gum lights. Thought my goose was cooked. Luckily he must have realized we were on a closed course in Mexico and shut the light back off and just shook his finger. I nodded my thanks and kept her near the posted speeds the rest of the ride. No more top speed testing for you guys. My one chance is spent. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I have some. it's gotten better as the weather has gotten warmer and the bike has broken in but it's still there at times. I even run 93+ octane fuel consistently.
:+1:

My 2011 N1K also knocks when doing anything under 4000 RPM. The odd thing is that I did not notice it until at about 2000 KM (1250 miles). I babied the engine during the break-in period as the manual indicated and didn't notice any issues during that time. I run 91 octane. Stock (except for a fender elim). WTF?? It is beginning to p!ss me off. Anybody have similar issues?

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a mystery to me. I run low octane and never babied my bike. I don't abuse it and was wastchful about load amounts and durations during "break in" but I don't subcribe to to the ride like you stole it nor the baby it schools of thought. No ping b4 or after ECU reflash.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't abuse my bike either and I did what I thought was a reasonable break in. I didn't run the hell out of it and didn't baby it. I kept the RPM ceiling fairly low, around 6000 for the first 1K miles but it did get varied loads and time with the throttle closed and the engine being used for braking. That's worked perfectly well on a number of other new bikes I've had.

When I talked about loading the bike at low speeds, I've had mine knock at 1/3 or less throttle at 3000-3500 RPM in the lower gears when the ambient temp was low. It's not right IMO, especially considering how rich the fuel metering seems to be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Subscribing..... Sounds interesting. Definitely waiting for cost, powah(!) and even fuel economy results (since I've yet to break 35mpg with my 2011 yet, RE the "fuel dilution" and "richness" comments above)

·
Registered
1 Posts
:+1:

My 2011 N1K also knocks when doing anything under 4000 RPM. The odd thing is that I did not notice it until at about 2000 KM (1250 miles). I babied the engine during the break-in period as the manual indicated and didn't notice any issues during that time. I run 91 octane. Stock (except for a fender elim). WTF?? It is beginning to p!ss me off. Anybody have similar issues?
Yes, I have a similar issue with my new 2010 Z1000 I purchased a few weeks ago from a Kawasaki Dealership near me. It's pinging under exactly the conditions you describe. I took it to the dealer service department when I went to pickup my license plate. One of the service guys rode it and said everything seemed fine, but I can't understand why it would ping like this. It seems to run great otherwise. I noticed it from the first day. I only have around 260 miles on the bike right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts