Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bought an 03 z1k 8800 miles with a muzzy 4 into 1 on it and like the sound and look of the pipe but have noticed after a roll on up to 8 or 9 grand if i let off and engine brake it back down it pops a little. well i noticed while riding at night the thing is shooting like 2 foot blue flames! i think its badass but i wanted to post and see if anyones heard of this causing problems?:dontknow:
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
does it have a power commander on it? if so sounds like its 2 rich

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
if you only get this while letting off the gas at high rpm it is not a problem. i always up shift to the next gear or 2 gears after i run the engine at high RPM. i must be a pamper freak. i never do things that can hurt my engine.
things i never do
1. i only ride my bike after i see 120 Deg on the temp ga.
2. i never beat on the bike until i go a little distance after warm up.
3. i never red line the engine out of gear or with the clutch in.
4. i never run the engine at high RPM then let off the gas in that same gear
sometimes it is bliss not being mechanical and just having fun with stuff. i am a mechanic and fix stuff folks beat up all the time.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
if you only get this while letting off the gas at high rpm it is not a problem. i always up shift to the next gear or 2 gears after i run the engine at high RPM. i must be a pamper freak. i never do things that can hurt my engine.
things i never do
sometimes it is bliss not being mechanical and just having fun with stuff. i am a mechanic and fix stuff folks beat up all the time.
yeah i know what u mean. i work at a honda dealership & see how much people abuse their vehicles, especially these young streetracers that think if they got a fart can & cold air intake its a race car:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah i know what u mean. i work at a honda dealership & see how much people abuse their vehicles, especially these young streetracers that think if they got a fart can & cold air intake its a race car:rolleyes:
Perfectly put. But its always fun to watch:dontknow:

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 03 Z would do the same except no flame. Check the PC map if you have one. I tried alot of things to remidy it including repacking the exhaust. When I first got the bike I did not notice the backfiring....I later just accepted it. I was going to try new exhaust gaskets but I sold the bike.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I believe the only way you will get it 100%, is to have someone dyno the bike and map it specifically for your application.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
stygz u have any pics of that speed triple?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
things i never do

im not hard on my stuff at all im talkin on rollin up from corner to corner where shifting is unnessessary because your ready to downshift when you upshift snd it has no power commander

·
Registered
49 Posts
Exhaust leaks will cause popping. Make sure the system is sealed from the header back. If its a full system you should def consider a power com. Check your plugs. If they are white in color. I wouldn't ride it until you get a PC. If they look like the perfectly cooked marshmallow you had over the fire you'll prob be ok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exhaust leaks will cause popping. Make sure the system is sealed from the header back. If its a full system you should def consider a power com. Check your plugs. If they are white in color. I wouldn't ride it until you get a PC. If they look like the perfectly cooked marshmallow you had over the fire you'll prob be ok.

Any negatives to a pc? if its like chipping a diesel truck im not doing that ive seen too many seized motors bc of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any negatives to a pc? if its like chipping a diesel truck im not doing that ive seen too many seized motors bc of them.
The PC only controls fuel. So you shouldn't have to worry about a seizure as long as you have plenty of oil in your crank case. If something goes faulty you may have to worry about a lean condition and possibly burning a hole in a piston but the chances of that is slim if not impossible. You may do that anyway with out one, depending on the stock ecu being able to provide your system with enough fuel to compensate for the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you run too lean of a map you could seize an engine..... most like likey it would burn a hole in the piston. I have never seen/heard of it happening, but it is entirely possible if you are a complete idiot. You should have no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts