Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been creeping around the forums, but this is my first post. Thanks for a great site!

Ok guys..I'm at a stand-off between two bikes. I will drive one home by the end of the weekend.

2003 Z1000
-10K miles
- Only damage is slight and it's cosmetic, which I'm good at fixing.
- 1.5 hours away
- All stock
- $3000 (or less...still negotiating)

2006 Z1000
-10K mikes
-Great condition, no damage
- 3 hours away
- All stock
- $3700 (can't get it for any less)

Which is better? $700 difference would put a nice exhaust kit on the '03...what's the difference between the 3 years?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Go with the 03 one, if you dont mind a little cosmetic damage (but this might mean more than just cosmetic damage...check for slight rust around the mounting points of hte radiator - these points often get bent if the bike is dropped. Some rust around the welds isnt going to kill you - but it is definitely another point where you can get some dollars discounted off the total price...

Otherwise, there is no difference between the 03 and th 06 - same exact bikes. 2nd generation began with the 07 models. Well, okay - they had different paint schemes. Otherwise, same bike!

Personally, Id go with the 03...you save money (and perhaps more than $700 if you can talk him down more by spotting rust) plus you wont have to put 3 hours worth of miles on it to get it home!

Enjoy the ride, and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Need to know if the '03 is an Orange or Black..... Obviously the '06 is Blue.

There are literally the same bike from '03-'06 only change really is colors.... '03's had a steering neck frame weld recall. Make sure you inspect it well, This was fixed on the '04+ Mine has never had a problem, and do loft the front wheel often..... Just something to keep in the back of your mind. IF you know a good welder, it can easily be remedied if necessary.

DIBS on the stock pipes if you sell them!!! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So-Crates, thank you for the response! Man...you helped me so much. I have been reading review after review & specs trying to see if anything was changed in the '06 model. I'll check the stuff you asked me for. He agreed to a slightly lower price, so I may be good there.

kawtoy_77, Thank you as well! it is black, and the '06 is blue :b BUT that doesn't matter. Before I get my first 1,000 on the bike, it will be (ridden first lol..but) painted and used in a photoshoot with chicks for my company. I'll post the pics ;)

So wait, kawtoy..will the steering neck just fall apart on me? He claims this is one of the first 300 bikes off the shelf..so it may be so early everything "recalled" would be avoided unless he took it in for a replacement. I'll ask him.

Also..I will be selling the exhaust. I like the lazer exhaust but am new at the Z so would take opinions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also..where do I find info on this recall? Googling brings me back to this site. I want to see if they'd still replace it :b

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drove it home..in love :) Might keep the stock exhaust..it looks sexy.

Thanks for your help guys...will be around the forums (even though this forum is kinda slow :b)

Peace

·
Registered
117 Posts
Which one the 03 or the 06?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well then post some pics...I know I know its orange and looks alot like mine, but, its not mine, its yours. So show it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2003!!! let me know if you decide on getting a different exhaust system I have been looking for the original exhaust sense I've gotten mine.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Also..where do I find info on this recall? Googling brings me back to this site. I want to see if they'd still replace it :b
I found it on riderforums.... I think it would be on your dime now, and they do not replace anything, just add a weld where there should be one to start with. can easily be done at a welding shop. Just keep an eye on the welds around the steering neck to the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually like the stock exhaust a lot :/ I thought I wouldn't..but it looks great..especially in person.

This is my new Z

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I haven't had any fixes done to my '03..... I just keep an eye on the welds up front. 30,000 miles can't be wrong.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i got way more compements about my stock exhaust than my stainless full MUZZY. the MAGs raged about the stock exhaust .
I got more compliments on my stocker pipes then my Muzzy's slip ons as well....

The stock pipes were a love it, or hate it item. I LOVED mine.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i hav the stock pipes if interested

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
pics?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts