Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the coolant capacity of the first gen zeds is.....? don't have my owners manual here at work with me. :D

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not more than one GAL
i would drain in a pan and then measure how much came out. then i would be sure i put at least that much back in. less in you have a air pocket.
Problem with that is its already drained partially, and I didn't drain it. My dad removed the radiator for me since he has been off work, and I didn't have the time. I would like to replace the coolant while I have this off. I can pick some up tonight, but need to know how much.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I am assuming I can use any Ethylene-Glycol coolant?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
yea thats the coolant that doesnt hurt aluminum components. clint y u replacing ur radiator?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea thats the coolant that doesnt hurt aluminum components. clint y u replacing ur radiator?
Not replacing it, just took it off to weld one of the mounts back on, the rivet that holds it gave away. I wanted to get it repaired before the whole dang thing fell off, lol!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
yea i checked mine after the thread notabiker posted

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Engine Ice on the dirt bikes. Dropped my temps by 15 degrees. Very important to a slow rider like me since the CRF doesn't have a rad fan. I'll likely replace the OEM coolant with Engine Ice when I'm fully broken in.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Engine Ice on the dirt bikes. Dropped my temps by 15 degrees. Very important to a slow rider like me since the CRF doesn't have a rad fan. I'll likely replace the OEM coolant with Engine Ice when I'm fully broken in.
yeah i ran it in my 04 kx 250f. made it run alot cooler

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
its an antifreeze replacement. raises the boiling point. i got the first year of the 250f & it had smaller radiators in it. next year had bigger ones. worked pretty good in it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It does have a higher boiling point (256 deg F)

The thing is it doesn't matter if it's 230 def F or 256, that's still too hot. You have other problems if you're running that hot and it is not healthy for the engine in the least. You truly shouldn't be running more than 215. If you are, you need the FI or jetting fixed.

For me being slow in the dirt, it allowed me to run 15 degrees cooler at all times. Technically the Engine Ice allows finer laminar flow which allows the coolant to absorb more heat from the surfaces it touches then it allows it to dissipate quicker at the radiator. By comparison, a touch of water wetter comes close to doing the same thing.

Engine Ice also uses distilled and ozonated water. It won't mix with other coolants so you have to exchange the whole system.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just used a generic ethylene glycol antifreeze, and mixed it 60/40. Temps even seem better by a few degrees. 'Cousre it was the original antifreeze from new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts