Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 runs perfectly until I ride for over an hour. It will randomly sputter then cut off completely. The first comes on, I cycle the key and it either turns back on immediately or if I let it sit for a few mins it will turn on again. I have already checked: the kickstand sensor, speed sensor, tank vents, battery, cleaned the fuel filter and checked for kinks in the fuel lines. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wouldn't be surprised as it seems to happen only in the summer months... any thoughts on a cure? I have also read that kawa discontinued using the 2003 pumps and started using the 2006+ pumps for all models, perhaps it's a known issue?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Not sure about the swap in pumps. Probably just one less part to redesign on down the line.
I think the only "cure" is a new pump. Also, maybe keeping the tank full as the fuel cools the pump.

'03 Z

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I've replaced the fuel pump the ignition pickup the fuel pump relay and the one next to it and it still does it but only when it's hot outside and I ride for over 40 minutes and it has 50k miles has anyone figured this out?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I've replaced the fuel pump the ignition pickup the fuel pump relay and the one next to it and it still does it but only when it's hot outside and I ride for over 40 minutes and it has 50k miles has anyone figured this out?
When was the last time the valves were checked?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had a full service done. And the valves were fine. This thing runs fine except when it's hot and I ride for almost an hour

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do have a muzzy full system and I had it dyno tuned with the stock header and yoshi slip ons. I think I see where we r going with this it may be running to lean and when it's hot it's getting to hot and starts the cutting out. What do u think?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Nah, wasn't so much thinking of a lean situation. Was thinking more like a cat collapsing with heat. I have seen this issue before and it does exactly what you described but you have eliminated that theory with the header replacement.
I would be looking at the pump relay sensor now. I don't believe the bike is running that lean to have it cut out when its hot. This is an electrical issue I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you ever find the cause?
My 04 is doing the same. Runs great then around the hour mark will stutter and eventually stop. Leave it for a bit then off it goes again.
The stuttering is way too aggressive to be a fuel pump IMHO.
Changed plugs, coils and air filter. No light codes come up. I don't really want to replace ecu yet unless I have no choice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you ever find the cause?
My 04 is doing the same. Runs great then around the hour mark will stutter and eventually stop. Leave it for a bit then off it goes again.
The stuttering is way too aggressive to be a fuel pump IMHO.
Changed plugs, coils and air filter. No light codes come up. I don't really want to replace ecu yet unless I have no choice.
it's a fuel injected bike, not carburated, even a slight drop in fuel pressure will cause a very aggressive shuddering, the injector needs a certain bar of fuel pressure to operate at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts