Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
From a poster on another board - Kawasaki P/N: 13144-1320 - SPROCKET-OUTPUT,16T

It's the OE part used on the 2003-2006 z1000.

I've got a JT 16 tooth sprocket on my Ninja and it works fine without the rubber damper. It's just slightly louder.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

I've got a JT 16 tooth sprocket on my Ninja and it works fine without the rubber damper. It's just slightly louder.
I have a parts unlimited one without the rubber, and can't tell the difference at all.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Did you have to re-calibrate your speedometer:confused:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
The speedo was off before the change. Now it reads properly and the odo is off.

I have no clue why Kawasaki decided to not make them both read the same.
Jsharp,how do you know the speedo was off before you changed the c.s.?...did you use a GPS to find the accurate speed of bike??

·
Registered
803 Posts
Jsharp,how do you know the speedo was off before you changed the c.s.?...did you use a GPS to find the accurate speed of bike??
Checked it with mile markers and then with my GPS. Over 6% error to the high side. 60MPH indicated was more like 56MPH actual. It's now dead on after going to the 16T front which was just over a 6% gearing change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What do you guys use to remove that 8-point star bolt that holds the sprocket on?

Rob

·
Registered
875 Posts
loook closer rob mine had a 1 1/16th in nut after we took off the cover so we could see it. was very tight that's why you got my sprocket.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The speedo was off before the change. Now it reads properly and the odo is off.

I have no clue why Kawasaki decided to not make them both read the same.
Jsharp,I checked mine(2010 Z1000) with gps,at 50mph indicated by bike speedo,gps (garmin geko) was reading 47 mph:dontknow:I assume as you go faster,error will be worse...I can't see changing sprocket to a 16 will rectify error:dontknow:but I'll try 16,because bike is geared to low:( P.S.does anyone know the torque specs of nut that holds c.s.?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
does anybody know the factory front & rear sprocket gearing for an 03 z? im wanting to go down one on the crank sprocket

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I just tried to get the damn nut off, wouldn't come off even with an impact gun that removes my truck's 140 ft-lb lug nuts. WTF? Called the dealer... they'll do it for $35, so I'll take it over middle of next week.

This thing isn't left-hand thread is it?? Service manual made no mention of it being.

Rob

·
Registered
803 Posts
Jsharp,I checked mine(2010 Z1000) with gps,at 50mph indicated by bike speedo,gps (garmin geko) was reading 47 mph:dontknow:I assume as you go faster,error will be worse...I can't see changing sprocket to a 16 will rectify error:dontknow:but I'll try 16,because bike is geared to low:( P.S.does anyone know the torque specs of nut that holds c.s.?
The displayed speed is determined by the RPM of the countershaft sprocket. The speed sensor is in the cover. The computer does a calculation based on that measurement. Going to a larger sprocket causes the rear wheel to turn faster for a given c/s sprocket speed.

50MPH indicated at 47MPH actual is 6% error. About what I was seeing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah I just tried to get the damn nut off, wouldn't come off even with an impact gun that removes my truck's 140 ft-lb lug nuts. WTF? Called the dealer... they'll do it for $35, so I'll take it over middle of next week.

This thing isn't left-hand thread is it?? Service manual made no mention of it being.

Rob
It's r/h thread it's just f%^!ing TIGHT. Mine laughed at my cheapo 1/2" drive impact and that wrench will do over 100 ft/lb. My 1/2" Chicago Pneumatic wrench took it right off. The nut is supposed to be 27mm but it's thin where the socket sits along with being soft and a sloppy fit. I'll use a new nut next time I change the sprocket.

The spec is only like 93 ft/lb so it's way overtight from the factory.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's r/h thread it's just f%^!ing TIGHT. Mine laughed at my cheapo 1/2" drive impact and that wrench will do over 100 ft/lb. My 1/2" Chicago Pneumatic wrench took it right off. The nut is supposed to be 27mm but it's thin where the socket sits along with being soft and a sloppy fit. I'll use a new nut next time I change the sprocket.

The spec is only like 93 ft/lb so it's way overtight from the factory.
Jsharp,THX for the specs on torque,when you installed the 16,did you re-test the speedo for accuracy with gps?:eek:ccasion:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts