Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the 16 tooth sprocket on the 2011 or 2010 z1000? interested in knowing the difference in performance. thanks jerry:dontknow:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Isn't stock gearing 15/42? A 16T front is one tooth taller.

My Ninja was geared 15/41 and I went up one of the front. The performance hit is slight but noticeable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16 teeth

was reading the ninja 1000 forum and they are running a 16t and say the throttle is manageable, fuel mileage is up and speedo reads correctly.:dontknow:

·
Registered
33 Posts
what Ninja 1000 forum did you look on? Im curious how this would affect performance 1 front tooth up is equal to 3 down in the back right? I dont get how this would "correct the speedo". Are you guys having speedo accuracy issues?

·
Registered
803 Posts
what Ninja 1000 forum did you look on? Im curious how this would affect performance 1 front tooth up is equal to 3 down in the back right? I dont get how this would "correct the speedo". Are you guys having speedo accuracy issues?
My speedo read 6%+ fast with stock gearing. Going to a 16T front is about a 6% gearing change and the speedo now reads properly. Unfortunately now the Odo reads low... :(

Mama Kaw messed up the calculations that drive the speedo/odo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Resuscitating an old thread... Coming to light after the great "2006 R6 17k Tach Debacle," it's become widely known that Japanese sportbikes of any persuasion have an ~8% optimistic fudge factor built into their speed metric instruments (Tach, Speedo).

My 2005 ZX-636's speedo read 8% optimistic
My 2006 ZX-10's speedo read 8% optimistic
My friend's 2007 CBR-600 read 8% optimistic
My 2009 Versys' speedo read 8% optimistic (until I changed it's stock 15T front to a 16, then it was dead nuts)
Yada, yada.

*measurements were taken using WAAS-enabled GPS telemetry*

·
Registered
314 Posts
2010 z1000,did a 16 in front,and went down 2 teeth in back,there is a slight difference in roll ons 60-80 mph...80-100mph,from a first gear roll,it's more manageble,and you really won't notice that much of a difference.....other then the fact that it'll take you longer(in distance) to get into 6th gear:p...and around town you won't need 6th as much,speedo was only off 4mph...at 80mph on dash,gps read 84mph,at 70mph(on dash)RPM's are 5000rpm's,with this gearing....MPG should have improved,but still getting around 32/34MPG:dontknow:...bike runs rich from factory (compared to all the other jap bikes I've had) :headshake:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts