Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the Pit Bull - its $200 I was told by all the Mechanics, you are buying peace of mind - they never fail.

But it is also $130 more & I have yet to use it - I simply put the bike on the kickstand, pick it up, turn the wheel & repeat the process a few times.

Yet to hear of anyone knocking the kickstand with boots before, what make & model?
yes, there is many ways to rotate the chain without rear stands (y), either walk the bike a bit or like you do, let it rest on kickstand while you lift the rear wheel slightly and rotate it.

yeah, haha :ROFLMAO: that's a first with my new riding boots

I use those Street & Steel brand, Mercenary model size US 11, they are sturdy:

I like zippers on sides, make it quick to put on or take off, and I needed a higher boot above ankle, because my pants tend to go up when I sit on the bike.
They are not exactly designed for sports bikes, more Harley cruiser style probably, but I like them.
It's just now I have to think twice before using them again until I fix the kickstand spring.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Gotcha!

I personally, rarely if ever, fide my bike without Sidi Vortice Boots on.

One rare time I left to go to the store during Covid to pick something up for my Celebrity Client (special order), & it was usually less than a mile or 2 minutes ride in a canyon.

Leaving the store at 30mph got sideswiped by a racer boy going in the same direction at 80mph;

A lot of roadrash, two broken toes, dislocated finger, badly sprained hand - the foot peg put a big hole in my shoes from top it seems small but the sole was missing a big 4 inches - very little damage to the bike but the bike slid with me underneath it for 150 feet
20200318_211514.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Gotcha!

I personally, rarely if ever, fide my bike without Sidi Vortice Boots on.

One rare time I left to go to the store during Covid to pick something up for my Celebrity Client (special order), & it was usually less than a mile or 2 minutes ride in a canyon.

Leaving the store at 30mph got sideswiped by a racer boy going in the same direction at 80mph;

A lot of roadrash, two broken toes, dislocated finger, badly sprained hand - the foot peg put a big hole in my shoes from top it seems small but the sole was missing a big 4 inches - very little damage to the bike but the bike slid with me underneath it for 150 feet
Oh man, glad you're OK only with some minor injuries (sorry for the broken toes and dislocated finger), thankfully you didn't land in a hospital.
Nice riding boots over there! Those are actual sports bike boots, look good!

I understand it perfectly man. Regardless, I think you had lots of luck that day still(y)... and also it shows how it is not always up to us to stay safe, we gotta counter in the other driver/rider factor too.
A year ago my coworker crashed his Yamaha R1 into a car suddently making a left turn right in front of him ... dude spent a year on physical therapy for his shattered wrist in left arm and backbone pain (pinched nerve), he never got back into riding after this.

I used to ride my old '08 Suzuki M50 cruiser either in sneakers or ankle-high Nike winter boots while wearing regular jeans, t-shirt and a German-style helmet ... biggest problem to me at that point was the shifter causing pain on the foot after prolonged riding with lots of shifting (city traffic or twisties here and there upstate or in NJ), hence why I bought actual riding boots with stiff leather over toes.

Regarding proper riding gear, I now use it every time no matter how short the trip is, especially on this powerful Z1000 bike, I too had lots of luck in my life (still here in one piece), but don't want to stretch it :ROFLMAO:

Little story. During vacation back in my EU home country a year ago I went on a motorbike trip with my nephew. I rented a new Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and it was perfect in the mountain twisties ... But a few days later I crashed it on a downward curve just 2 miles back from home ... I hit a sand patch when drifting towards the road shoulder, was going too fast in 3rd gear, but not that fast, maybe 40mph/65kph during an accident.

After this motorcycle crash I was so glad I was wearing actual riding jeans (Klim did the trick for me) and jacket (some Joe Rocket Phoenix or whatever it was, it protected me too), left the jacket there at home in EU, got it torn a bit on left arm ... ended up only with 2 bruises where one was caused by my own arm literally cutting off the blinker from the bike on impact since I was sliding right behind the bike on asphalt and eventually collided with it head-on.. and 1 deep scratch right below my right knee pad - hit a tiny steel trash can installed into ground with a pole (like fence poles) - man, I destroyed that bin with my padded knee like it was made of paper and all the garbage shot out towards the skies ... The whole left side of rental bike was basically gone, including the shifter, mirror, blinker, bent handlebars, broken kickstand etc.

When I think what could have happened to me if I wasn't wearing any proper gear then hmmm ... Let me think, probably lack of teeth if I didn't wear a full face helmet, road rash on left side of body if I didn't wear proper gear and most likely a shattered right knee from impact on the little steel dumpster at the bus stop ...

... ever since then I always ride in proper riding gear, just wanted actual riding boots finally and now this happened LOL :ROFLMAO: ... damn kickstand spring, always something, gotta fix it, don't want to learn the pain of flying (and landing!) when my bike suddenly stops on some pothole because of hanging low kickstand ...

Stay Safe out there!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Its not fun getting on my bike - I have to plan it - its a Whole 10 minute Process nowadays to go for a ride.

But its a 1000cc bike.

And we are surrounded by Idiots ...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Cycle Gear has Trackside stands that go on sale every now and again. You'll need rear spools if you don't already have them. Ebay.
Was laughing when you said it was your boots! I remember back when kickstands had no safety installed with them. I'd take off and go around the first left hand bend in the road and hop! lol FREAKS ya out for sure!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
that's ok, I ordered a Vortex rear stand from JPcycles, should be getting it in a few days, my bike still has stock rear spools, no problem.
and yeah, it is the boots that revealed the problem LOL!

not sure when I get the replacement spring from partzilla, may take a week or two.
man, that falling kickstand does freak me out, basically before every left turn I think twice and look down to check its position LOL, very annoying.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
change where your feet are on the pegs. ride on the balls of your feet like you would on a track. ...? Maybe that will help? -just tossing that one out there :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
change where your feet are on the pegs. ride on the balls of your feet like you would on a track. ...? Maybe that will help? -just tossing that one out there :)
That's a good point. I was thinking about it too. perhaps all it takes is how I hold my feet on the pegs, will figure it out, soon !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
all right, took me much longer than expected due to delays with package shipment from Partzilla, etc.

Did the job today, the cheap rear stand I purchased worked like a charm, used a block of wood under kick stand to straighten it up so I could pull it on the rear stand myself.

Once there, it took me literally 10 seconds all together to remove old spring and snap the new one in using brake spring pliers and this short youtube video explaining how to remove the old one in 2 seconds and install the new one in 5 seconds LOL, easy!

Problem fixed

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
But what about the boots or have you radically changed your style and or the fact your stand is now fixed boot position is no longer an issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
But what about the boots or have you radically changed your style and or the fact your stand is now fixed boot position is no longer an issue
new boots are no longer a problem when the spring is tight and keeps the kickstand where it needs to be. Everything was perfect during a 2-hr long test ride in the city today with new boots on.
It was the loose spring all along causing all issues and endangering my life so many times ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And it simply happened in the time the bike was in storage, the spring gave up?
not exactly. I guess I bought it with a weak kickstand spring in December and just noticed it was a big deal in May or early June ... I stored it outside since March and really started riding it in April this year, haven't really noticed a problem until late May.

Spring progressively went from weak to loose within weeks between April and May. Between May and June I heard it drag on the road while making slow left turns in the city at least half a dozen times ... finally fixed makes me comfortable again with this beast, I love that bike, all is good again!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Been riding the 800 lately and decided to take the Zed up to the falls. Wow, lol it's like riding a rocket in comparison. ...or I'm just getting old :giggle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Been riding the 800 lately and decided to take the Zed up to the falls. Wow, lol it's like riding a rocket in comparison. ...or I'm just getting old :giggle:
haha, riding a rocket was my first thought when I rode that bike for the first time in Decemeber last year right before it got really cold ... I still enjoy that power and am not afraid to open the throttle sometimes to lift the front wheel, I just love this beast so much, we have lots of fun together :ROFLMAO:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts