Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Can you point me in the right direction as fixing the kickstand which kinda tends to unfold downwards on its own while riding, especially over bumps.
A few times I caught myself dragging it over asphalt during slow left turns in the city, scary.

I see it has a spring, but it seems tight when bike is parked on kickstand, so I am not fully understanding what is supposed to hold it while folded up ... maybe I'm missing something.

I just today changed my engine oil and filter and thought I am done with maintenance and now this.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
But they talk about a bolt/flange coming loose, etc.

How long have you had the bike?

Could it be that the spring simply needs to be replaced - it works fine until the stress of hitting a bump?

With the hard rear suspension, hitting bumps is a lot of force.

Or it could the spring be on the wrong side by the previous owner.

My bike is 50 miles away so I am trying my best telepathically ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But they talk about a bolt/flange coming loose, etc.

How long have you had the bike?

Could it be that the spring simply needs to be replaced - it works fine until the stress of hitting a bump?

With the hard rear suspension, hitting bumps is a lot of force.

Or it could the spring be on the wrong side by the previous owner.

My bike is 50 miles away so I am trying my best telepathically ...
I am unsure, it started 2 weeks ago and I had the bike since December (really riding it since March due to weather).
I suspect the spring loose or loose pivot bolt, but I have no way of fixing it without the stands (that cost like $300).

Booked appointment with authorized Kawasaki dealer in Queens to fix it for me as this is safety issue while riding, if that loose kickstand ever hits the edge of pothole during left turn then the bike will stop and I will fly.

No worries brother, I'm just trying to understand what's going on, cheers!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Gotcha Mate - what about a milk crate in the meantime - I don't mind investing into my expert mechanic but I dislike giving money to a dealership...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha Mate - what about a milk crate in the meantime - I don't mind investing into my expert mechanic but I dislike giving money to a dealership...
hehe, I totally understand, normally I am same (especially with cars I used to do most repairs myself), but in this case - I just want to ride this bike safely with peace of mind - I am willing to let the dealer fix it ... since I actually don't have a trusty expert mechanic for bikes I will pay the dealer, hopefully they have parts in stock, will be visiting New York Motorcycles in Queens Village on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
At the dealership I have started to see bikes with the kickstands worn out, at first I thought it might be the kickstand but it turns out that even though the kick stand is worn the main problem is that the bracket that is welded to the frame has been worn out.

Since you can't replace the frame mount I have started to repair them by welding new material to the bracket and then grinding it smooth, often I have to weld the hole and redrill it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the dealership I have started to see bikes with the kickstands worn out, at first I thought it might be the kickstand but it turns out that even though the kick stand is worn the main problem is that the bracket that is welded to the frame has been worn out.

Since you can't replace the frame mount I have started to repair them by welding new material to the bracket and then grinding it smooth, often I have to weld the hole and redrill it.
This bike is 2010, I am still hoping it's just a loose spring on the kickstand that maybe lost tension over 10 years and not something like a worn out frame bracket ... at least I hope it's something simple

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There should be two springs. Post a photo, and probably order a new one.

Check out kawasakipartshouse.com and solomoto.
I think on my model it's just 1 spring, I suspect it is worn out, but I likely won't be able to swap it out myself as kick stand is my only parking option.

To me nothing looks worn out or broken or missing:

Here is parts diagram from partzilla, everything looks same as on the bike.

Kinda baffled by this problem... Either way, I will let authorized mechanic take a look and fix it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get a paddock stand and put in a new spring yourself, if you suspect that is the culprit.

Paddockstand is basically a must have for every bike

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get a paddock stand and put in a new spring yourself, if you suspect that is the culprit.

Paddockstand is basically a must have for every bike

well, I don't know if the spring is suspect or worn out pivot bolt or some other problem, that was my initial question :)
For now I can try re-tightening the bolt and nut to specs and visually inspecting the spring tension with kick stand up while I sit on bike.

I'm trying to avoid buying extra stuff like paddock stand, not really planning to do all kinds of repairs myself on the bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How about maintanance? Not planning to clean or lube your chain either?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How about maintanance? Not planning to clean or lube your chain either?

already did that, also changed oil & filter.
EDIT: also to elaborate on that ... I just walked the bike a little back and forth to make it move the chain so I could get access to all parts of it while it was parked on kickstand. I understand the rear stand makes it much easier, but it's not exactly required to do the job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OMG, it's crazy story, but I found out what triggered this problem 2 weeks ago ... it's my new riding boots!
they have thicker sole and apparently it is ME who drops the kickstand (with thicker boot sole) ever so slightly lower while upshifting gears ... and then on first bump it drops lower on its own ... what gives?
It seems like the spring is too weak and is the culprit since it is unable to snap the kickstand back up ... or hold it in place while riding ...

I checked the pivot bolt and nut torque and they are good, also there is only minimal play on pivot, so I don't think I even need the extra washer like other guys did to minimize the play.

I guess I will get those paddock stands and new spring and go from there.

can you tell me which paddock stand fits this bike (2010 Z1000) and is cheap? I can get it from www.JPcycles.com (preferably) or www.revzilla.com

EDIT:
ordered the spring from partzilla.com ... I have to admit I hate replacing those buggers, might actually let a local mechanical shop which deals with bikes as well, to swap it out for me and just pay them labor (and skip the purchase of rear stand).

EDIT2:
also, TBH with you guys, this is the first bike that I encountered where the kickstand comes into play while upshifting gears ... why was it placed in a spot where you can accidentally touch it while moving your boot around the shifter? that's crazy. I guess problem doesn't exist as long as the spring is tight and does its job ... which is my problem exactly, because it no longer does that ...

EDIT3:
all right ... I ordered also the brake spring pliers tool from amazon (I hope it helps me with installation of the damn spring) and a rear stand like this below (vendor says it fits my bike):

will keep you posted about what it becomes after replacement of this stupid kickstand spring

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Voltex ST901 looks like it should be fine, but if you still have a fender, it might make contact. If I was buying again, I'd get one where the handle goes forward, like this:

Pit Bull - Spooled forward handle rear stand - f0043-000
thanks for input John... I saw Pitbull and liked it too, but I went with Vortex rear stand since they were the only ones available in stock with JPcycles (I had some store credit to use), hopefully it does the job nicely without scratching other parts hehe.

Once I get the spring and tool for installing it, I will tackle the job myself and post back regarding the outcome ... I really hope the problem disappears ... first of all I still cannot believe that my bigger riding boots are causing this madness, and second I am aware the spring is not tight anymore, fixing either of the two (or both) must do the trick :)

thanks for all pointers people, lessons learned! :D

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I have the Pit Bull - its $200 I was told by all the Mechanics, you are buying peace of mind - they never fail.

But it is also $130 more & I have yet to use it - I simply put the bike on the kickstand, pick it up, turn the wheel & repeat the process a few times.

Yet to hear of anyone knocking the kickstand with boots before, what make & model?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts