Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, need some help and don’t want to spend a ton of money on my old girl. I have an 03 Z1000 with 104,000 miles, yes you read that correctly. I bought it about 6 months ago and had enjoyed it for a while until it started having issues, shocker with how old she is and how many miles I know. But what is happening is that when the bike temp reaches 210 and less than half a tank of gas, it will stutter and not accelerate properly, weird huh. Happens in all gears. I actually have to pull off the road turn off for 30 seconds to a minute and then it’s good for some more. I’ve replaced the following; fuel pump and filter, spark plugs, oil @ 102,000 miles. Besides the stutter it has a lot of power and life in her. Any ideas would be great

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds a lot like the carbs are gummed up. It’s like, once the bowls drain they don’t refil quick enough, why you can sort of let it “catch its breath,” as my one friend used to say, and it’s ok for a minute. It doesn’t pop unusually or backfire? Honestly I’d mess with those carbs before I touched anything else. Especially if the plugs are coming out dry and it’s not backfiring and/or spitting fuel. Old bikes can get that way if they sit for any real amount time, especially with no fuel stabilizer in the system. You can also look at the header and see if one cylinder is running hot which would mean it’s lean, or if one’s just completely cold and not firing at all. It’ll help you figure out if it’s just one carb that needs the most attention

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bike is fuel injected just to be clear there are no float bowls to get gummed up. The timing unless it's been messed with should be the same as it's always been. Does it have any codes stored? Is the fi light on on the dash?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds a lot like the carbs are gummed up. It’s like, once the bowls drain they don’t refil quick enough, why you can sort of let it “catch its breath,” as my one friend used to say, and it’s ok for a minute. It doesn’t pop unusually or backfire? Honestly I’d mess with those carbs before I touched anything else. Especially if the plugs are coming out dry and it’s not backfiring and/or spitting fuel. Old bikes can get that way if they sit for any real amount time, especially with no fuel stabilizer in the system. You can also look at the header and see if one cylinder is running hot which would mean it’s lean, or if one’s just completely cold and not firing at all. It’ll help you figure out if it’s just one carb that needs the most attention
03 is fuel injected.

Mad

·
Registered
135 Posts
We took my sons 03 in to a shop for a misfire problem. I was convinced there was water in the tank due to his aftermarket fuel cap and being parked outside. The first thing I said was to check the fuel pump.They insisted that wasn't the problem. So after they changed coils and trying a different ECU and spending a lot of my sons money with no results, they finally pulled the fuel pump. Water and rust was all over the place. They cleaned everything and the problem is gone. I was very disappointed in their troubleshooting skills.

Mad

·
Registered
46 Posts
We took my sons 03 in to a shop for a misfire problem. I was convinced there was water in the tank due to his aftermarket fuel cap and being parked outside. The first thing I said was to check the fuel pump.They insisted that wasn't the problem. So after they changed coils and trying a different ECU and spending a lot of my sons money with no results, they finally pulled the fuel pump. Water and rust was all over the place. They cleaned everything and the problem is gone. I was very disappointed in their troubleshooting skills.

Mad
Sorry you and your son had to go through that. It was the fuel pump for me too. Fortunately I didn't have to replace many parts until I figured it out. Did a fuel pressure test and after 2 or 3 minutes, fuel pressure dropped below 22 and bike stalled out. Turns out it was exact same problem as yours, sediment, rust and particles in fuel pump and fuel filter. Problem fixed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts