Production issue / warranty parts issue - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy1979

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Production issue / warranty parts issue

Hi Guys

Just wondering what peoples experiences of dealing with Kawasaki UK were like as I'm having some issues with them at the moment.

I purchased a new Z1000 R Edition the 29th Sept and picked her up on the 6th Oct all was well bar a squeaking front brake.

When I took her in for her first service on 28th Oct and mentioned the front brake the tech's striped it and found one of the main caliper retention fixings was cross threaded into the fork meaning the left strut would need replacing.

Now I was pissed that my new bike that was three weeks old was now out of action as the tech had determined the fault was dangerous as it had twisted the Brembo caliper.

I went home on a courtesy bike, Wednesday of the following week I got a call from the dealer to tell me that Kawasaki did not have the required part in the country and it would have to come from Japan and the earliest it would get to Kawasaki UK would be the 13th Nov with the part reaching them late that week as an estimate.

So i decided to let rip on Kawasaki UK mainly to ask how a dangerous production fault got off the production line and onto the road.

See my email to Kawasaki on 05/11

Hi

I purchased a new Z1000 R edition on the 29th September and took delivery on the 6th October 17 Registration DV67 NCN.

I took the motorcycle for its first service after completing 600 miles on the 28th October 17

The mechanics whilst moving the motorcycle onto the lift noticed the brakes were squeaking, they carried out an inspection to ascertain what the issue with the brakes was.

They found a main calliper retention bolt was cross threaded in the front suspension fork and had caused the calliper to twist and bind on the disc.

Now my first issue is how this obviously dangerous fault went unnoticed on the production line as a cross threaded bolt is easily detectable and the operative would have noticed when fastening up the bolt that it had cross threaded also how did this fault also get past final inspection and quality control in the factory?

Thankfully the dealers technicians noticed the fault and acted on it, if the bolt or the aluminium casting had of failed it would of resulted in a serious accident.

Now I have been told by the dealer that Kawasaki do not have a replacement suspension leg in the country and they are on route from Japan, the earliest Kawasaki will receive parts is the 13th November and the part reaching the dealer late that week.

This means the absolute earliest I can expect to receive my motorcycle back is the 20th November.

I find it unbelievable that Kawasaki do not have warranty parts in the country for a current production vehicle leaving a customer without their brand new vehicle for a minimum of 3 weeks.

3 weeks is a totally unacceptable repair time Kawasaki should be looking to reduce this by any means necessary even air freighting the part in from Japan if necessary.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Andrew Gardiner

Contract Manager

Manufacturing and Industry

Private Sector (Automotive)

UK & Ireland

5 Days later I received this response

Dear Mr Gardiner,

Thank you for your detailed email raising your concerns.

Firstly, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of the delays experienced.

Unfortunately, we are unable to advise you as to how this tightening error occurred and why it was not reported or corrected prior to the motorcycle leaving the assembly line. We fully appreciate that this issue has been compounded with the fact that the warranty claim has been hindered by the supply of the necessary replacement parts. Our warranty system usually supplies parts from our European warehouse to the dealer network overnight and we can only apologise further for the fact that you are waiting for replacement parts as they are shipped from the factory in Japan.

I have contacted our parts department in Europe and requested that the outstanding item is air freighted and I will advise you of their response.

We appreciate your frustration as the ownership of a new machine should be a joyous occasion and again we offer our apologies for such a situation arising.

Kind regards,

Alan Lunn

Technical & Customer Service Group

Kawasaki Motors UK

1 Dukes Meadow | Millboard Road | Bourne End | SL8 5XF

T +44 (0)1628 856750

So not only do Kawasaki not have any Warranty parts in the UK they don't have any in the whole of Europe for a current production bike.

And to shrug off a dangerous fault like that is totally unacceptable.

I work in the Automotive sector for a German car manufacturer and if a customer had suffered that fault on a car all hell would be too pay for as a fault like that should not reach the customer not only because it inconveniences them but it's a dangerous fault that could have caused a serious accident.

Kawasaki's response worries it me it shows a lack of quality control in the factory, a lack of operative training and even a possible fear of raising issues/mistakes on the production line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I had to get a new rear sprocket, it was a couple weeks out so my dealer took it off the new bike they had in inventory to get me going. I had to get a new gas tank, that only took a week. I needed a new mirror mount on the left side but they didn't have any anywhere... So I had to fix the one I had. Not a great track record of part availability in my eyes, I'm in the states. They did cover a chip in my gas tank paint under warranty though.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
One of our guys went through a similar thing with his abs pump. Only, this time there was no abs pump in the usa. He had to wait 60 days, or so for a pump to be shipped from China.....or, I mean Japan. Yea, for sure its japanese made and has nothing to do with china....

And, what are you supposed to do about it? You both needed very expensive parts that don't frequently need to be replaced....so, you wait and try to make the best of it. At least they are agreeing to fix it, and not trying to blame you.

His abs pump was from a 2012 model, way out of warranty. Kawasaki took a long time, but fixed it for him anyway.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand that the part is not one normally required to be replaced but the length of time taken to get a part from Japan to the UK is laughable.
The dealer still hasn't received the parts so i doubt I will be getting my back this week so that will be 4 weeks without my brand new bike.

Agreeing to fix it I should bloody hope so the bike was 3 weeks old when it went in for service.

All of my bikes bar one have been Kawasaki's this is my forth new bike I've purchased from this particular dealer I highly doubt there will be a fifth after this debacle Kawasaki have seriously failed me this time and they don't seem to care either.
rcannon likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I find it interesting that the timeline on your fork leg is similar to my friends abs pump.

Yet, he finally gets one, The part does exist, and its somewhere, but why so long to grab it and ship it over to you.

At one point I had to have a part shipped from Belgium to the United States (Utah). It was just a small box. Cost was 225.00 american, but it took only three days.

I wonder if no one is willing to pay a high freight cost and your fork leg gets shipped with the normal parts shipments? Even still, that does not sound like 4 weeks time???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page