New battery time? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I like this idea.....replace battery before it could ever be an issue.

Based on Maddevil telling us this battery lasted two years, now what?

Granted, he did get four years from one, and the third is still good, but it looks like yearly replacement is what we would have to do to be 100% sure we wont have issues.

After seeing how my c14 battery has lasted, with the battery tender jr, be sure and grab one along with the new battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Garage
My 2008 Honda TRX700XX is on it's second battery. I left it turned on accidentally and killed the first battery. After sitting for a week or so with the key on there was no bringing that battery back to life. This battery has to be at least 5 years old.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"It's not a party until someone throws up on a stripper."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
You can always push start it if the battery craps out.

Uh...not exactly.
When mine went out I had my son push me back and forth for quite a while. ( He was not happy about that...) If there is not enough juice to power the ECU and injectors, or there is a short in the battery itself you might as well try pushing it all the way home.

Mad
JohnJuan likes this.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Uh...not exactly.
When mine went out I had my son push me back and forth for quite a while. ( He was not happy about that...) If there is not enough juice to power the ECU and injectors, or there is a short in the battery itself you might as well try pushing it all the way home.

Mad
I've also tried this. If the battery is dead enough, you are not starting it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 20 Old 12-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I guess the Z's are more sensitive then. :sad:

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

post #16 of 20 Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
I guess the Z's are more sensitive then. :sad:
I mean, if you could push it up top about 30 MPH, I bet you could do it, but I'm not that strong.

post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm thinking as long as the starter will make the rapid clicking that it will have enough juice to push start fairly easy. It should get to that point before it just goes completely dead.

On the quads my buddy left his key on and killed his battery just like I did. We hooked a strap to it and drug it up and down his half mile long gravel driveway in 3rd gear clutch out and it would pop and chug but never built enough voltage to turn everything on.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Bought a JMT lithium battery for mine last week. (about 3/4" shorter) and a third of the weight....bought the little bluetooth monitoring thingy also so i can connect to it from my phone. All good so far.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-23-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
See what the voltage is after 24 hours of sitting. If its up around 12.5-12.6, you wont accomplish much in changing. Its not unheard of to lose a battery after 2 years.

My 14 battery was 12.5, when new. Its at 12.3, now, after the 24 hrs sitting.
So I checked the battery in December after it sitting 3 weeks or so and got 12.5 volts. Charged it up with my 6 amp auto shutoff charger to 12.7 . Same results in January. Same results in February. Checked again yesterday it was 12.54 volts . Reinstalled for first ride of the year today. Had to crank it a lot to get it to start, but start it did finally. So I'm gonna keep it another year and see where I'm at next winter. As to the jumpstart/pushstart question, I've jumpstarted my bike from a NON-Running car before, no worries.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Well, made it another year with the original battery. Still reads 12.4x volts three days after charging. 2011z btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page