Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Z1000R engine management light on.

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Qader Alkooheji 
#1 ·
I know this may be a long shot but, has ANYONE had a problem like mine......I have a 2018 MY z1000r performance edition registered in May 2019 and is not yet 4 months old.I bought it new and its done less than 6000 miles. The problem is that sometimes the engine management light illuminates when travelling, and at the same time I lose the digital gear position indicator function on the clocks.This shows as error code 25. After a few hundred miles the light goes out and the gear indicator starts working again. The dealer hasn't been much help so far as his error code list suspects the ABS/ speed sensor at fault, the same as my z1000 manual/laptop pdf. Unfortunately none of them seem to cover or take into account the gear position indicator of the z1000r. Regards.

#3 ·
No, as its an intermittent fault all components checked out ok when the dealer tested it [this was before I knew how to retrieve the error code 25, which didn't show until the fault was in evidence. I was 150 miles from the dealer when it occurred again] The thing is when the E.M. light comes on, the gear position indicator doesn't work, which would point to a gear position sensor, not ABS/speed sensor. Error code 25 could be unique to only a z1000r with a GPI fitted as standard but there is no reference made to this in any information I have, or the dealer looked at for guidance. Hence, I ask if I'm alone with this problem.

#4 ·
Quick way to test it, could be to disconnect the ABS sensor under normal conditions (engine light off) and see if you loose the gear indicator function. (Of course the engine light we be on as well once you disconnect the ABS sensor). I am not sure how the gear indicator is calculated, but it might use the ABS sensor to monitor the wheel speed and compare it with the engine RPM to determine which gear you are in.

#7 ·
Although the fault code suggests an ABS/censor fault, I don't believe it has anything to do with the ABS as that is working fine. Disconnecting the ABS censor from one wheel would illuminate the ABS warning light as well as the EML. The gear indicator can not calculated from ABS censor/engine RPM, when I changed the gearing...+1 on the front and -2 on the rear sprocket everything was working fine for 3000 miles afterwards. [It now feels like it has a 7th gear]

#6 ·
I don't need a gear position indicator, the bike came with one as standard. The problem is that when it doesn't work the engine management light comes on and fault code 25 can be retrieved. It's the engine management light illuminating thats the problem, because if something serious occurs I won't know, as the light is already on!

#8 ·
Hi Kenyun

I have the same issue with my new Z1000R I received a few weeks ago. was all good and then took it in for it's 1000km run in service. the mechanic put a 39T sprocket on the rear. Rode the bike for at least 150km afterwards and all was good until I stopped to chat to a mate and realised the gear indicator was flashing and the engine management light was on solid. Now only 'N' displays on the gear indicator when in Neutral but no other gears show. My mechanic says that the bike needs to learn and adapt to the new gear ratios in order to calculate gear. He recommends a few more rides and then all will be sorted. I just want to get your take on this seeing as u have first hand experience of this issue.

Am I correct in understanding yours was rectified only after you changed your sprocket gearing? I'm going to get him to revert back to the original sprocket just in case and hope it resolves the issue.

I have to admit it has reduced the revs when cruising at highway speeds nicely and the monster still pulls like a steam train but I would rather have the engine management light reserved for more important issues later down the line.

#9 ·
It seems that I am not alone with this problem after all. Mine has the same symptoms as yours plus a few other connected "ailments". After the first 600 mile service I fitted new 16 tooth front and 41 tooth rear sprocket and the ride was greatly improved as the bike was far too low geared. At just over 3000 miles the gear indicator light problem first occurred but disappeared after 200 miles. It happened again about 1500 miles later and stayed for 2 days. I managed to get it booked in at the dealers for the next day, but as I set out the EM light went out and I had a gear indicator again. At the dealers no fault could be found as it had not saved the fault code. Tests were carried out but no fault code found. The dealer conferred with Kawasaki and they suggested that if it happens again I should retrieve the fault code from the clocks, it did, and I retrieved fault code 25. It has been OK all weekend [so far], its an ongoing intermittent fault which I suspect is unique to Z1000R, specifically the gear position indicator sensor fault code/wiring which isn't included in the current manual, the closest code 25 gets is to point at ABS.

#10 ·
The other "ailments" that I referred to when the fault occurs, not every time but sometimes the green neutral light will not come on and when that happens the tick-over is either too high or so low that the engine cuts out even on closing the throttle to change up into 2nd gear, it has done that several times. As every piece of information goes through the ECU I can only assume that it is getting confused. [I know how it feels] I still have the higher gearing fitted, I don't think thats the cause, but who knows what the ECU is thinking!

#11 ·
Hi Kenyun

Ok so I've done some research and it seems like this issue isn't just for the Z1000R. It seems to be an issue with the Versys x300 (also seems to be an issue on the ninja300). If you go to google and type in "kawasaki versys sprocket change gear indicator" You'll see some references to where guys have re-sprocketed their Versys to get more low down torque and are getting the same issue (the very first result "Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light" is pretty informative).

Seems to be something common with the ABS system on the bike and the gear indicator. Also the gear indicator is a new inclusion with the Z1000 so there won't be many of these bikes on the road with the included gear indicator. And if I'm correct they have discontinued the Z1000 in many countries which means that there aren't many of these that include the gear indicator out there on the roads.

I'm going to go to the shop as soon as I get a chance the have the bike geared back to original. I'll put some kilos on the bike and get back to you if it's resolved or not. I'm hoping maybe just one up on the front but I want to see first if original resolves the issue then I'll think about changing the front or not.

#15 ·
Hi Kenyun

Ok so I've done some research and it seems like this issue isn't just for the Z1000R. It seems to be an issue with the Versys x300 (also seems to be an issue on the ninja300). If you go to google and type in "kawasaki versys sprocket change gear indicator" You'll see some references to where guys have re-sprocketed their Versys to get more low down torque and are getting the same issue (the very first result "Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light" is pretty informative).

Seems to be something common with the ABS system on the bike and the gear indicator. Also the gear indicator is a new inclusion with the Z1000 so there won't be many of these bikes on the road with the included gear indicator. And if I'm correct they have discontinued the Z1000 in many countries which means that there aren't many of these that include the gear indicator out there on the roads.

I'm going to go to the shop as soon as I get a chance the have the bike geared back to original. I'll put some kilos on the bike and get back to you if it's resolved or not. I'm hoping maybe just one up on the front but I want to see first if original resolves the issue then I'll think about changing the front or not.
Got the same problem, have at 2017 z1000 and since ill mounted a turbo the bike became lika a enduro so ill diside
Hi Kenyun

got the same problem with my z1000 , since I’ll mounted a turbo the bike need a sprocket change to a bigger in front, directly after the sprocket change the gears don’t longer show’s on the display besides the green neutral light.

#13 ·
Ok, so it seems like I've fixed the issue if anyone is interested. After just over 500km of riding the issue is still there. That was until I changed rev limiter indicator. I was getting irritated by the flashing rev counter from 8 onwards so I decided to change it to higher. In changing it to a higher number (10.5) my gear indicator issue is resolved and the engine management light is off. Seems like the system needed a bit of a clear or reset to fix the issue.

Kenyun, hold the 2 buttons down together until the top rev counter starts flashing. If you press the bottom button then you'll be changing the rev limiter flashing indicator but if you just depress the top button then it'll go out of the setting mode. Than might resolve your issue of the re-sprocketing error. If that doesn't fix the issue then I recommend changing the limiter indicator (even if u change it back to 8, just press the bottom button until it goes around back to 8). That should resolve the issue.

I'm not too sure if you need to put a certain amount of mileage on the bike with the new sprockets first for it to effectively re-calibrate but it is definitely do-able.

#16 ·
Ok, so it seems like I've fixed the issue if anyone is interested. After just over 500km of riding the issue is still there. That was until I changed rev limiter indicator. I was getting irritated by the flashing rev counter from 8 onwards so I decided to change it to higher. In changing it to a higher number (10.5) my gear indicator issue is resolved and the engine management light is off. Seems like the system needed a bit of a clear or reset to fix the issue.

Kenyun, hold the 2 buttons down together until the top rev counter starts flashing. If you press the bottom button then you'll be changing the rev limiter flashing indicator but if you just depress the top button then it'll go out of the setting mode. Than might resolve your issue of the re-sprocketing error. If that doesn't fix the issue then I recommend changing the limiter indicator (even if u change it back to 8, just press the bottom button until it goes around back to 8). That should resolve the issue.

I'm not too sure if you need to put a certain amount of mileage on the bike with the new sprockets first for it to effectively re-calibrate but it is definitely do-able.
I have the same issue mine z1000 2018 and I have about 10 k kilometers, the last update is changing the front sprocket from 15T to 14T, at the beginning everything was working fine, however after a few kilos the indicators is only showing natural and no gears is showing moreover my check Engine light is showing.

I tried what is been discussed above and still having this issue. Should I ride it to get more milage or what to do?!

Seeking your assistance please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.