03 Z1000, Engine swap, multiple problems - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-14-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
03 Z1000, Engine swap, multiple problems

Hey Guys,

Replaced my engine as it threw a rod, ended up getting a used one with 8K miles on it from Ebay.

Turns out it got problems, oil was milky when the used one arrived so that didn't bode too well, the owner said it was because he pressure washed the bike? Didn't make sense, but decided to get a bunch of things checked before putting it in.

Got some buddies together after doing a compression test, pressurizing coolant side, replacing plugs and checking valve clearance, everything checked out so went ahead and swapped it.

9 hours later, start it up and it's blowing white smoke out, not like a crazy big amount or a solid cloud, but definetley whitish smoke which indicates coolant leak from what I can understand. Then there's small oil drips at the bottom connection for the exhaust pipes.

It also won't idle on it's own and you have to crack the throttle, might be the idle adjustment needs to be set though, not sure about it yet.

We had poured Marvel magic oil over the engine when we took the top cover off to help clean the bad oil up a little, so we thought maybe that's what it is, then I thought it might be the 3 month old fuel but I don't know.

I asked a mechanic I know he said to change the oil and take it out for a couple of hours, I'm afraid I'll be looking like a jet in the sky with the amount of smoke so I don't know if that's a good idea.

Any ideas? The engine apparently sat for a while and I'm sure that didn't help.

Hey, at least it works better now than it did before.

I attached a picture of the original oil that was in it when I got it, what I pulled out when I flushed it 3 times didn't look nearly as bad and it was hard to tell as I'm sure there's remnants in the engine as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2353.jpg (104.2 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Pressure washing won't put water in the oil unless he put the wand in the oil filler. That motor has either a blown head gasket, a cracked head or block or some other problem The white smoke is coolant burning. It's possible it could be residual oil on the system that's why your friend suggested taking it out for a ride. Oil smoke is usually blue ish. How did the compression readings look? Leak down test done ?
If it were me I'd probably pull the head and do rings and valves assuming there is nothing cracked.

Mad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page