Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Chain noise over bumps

14K views 54 replies 6 participants last post by  Leesz1000r 
#1 ·
Hello , since I got the bike the chain makes clunking noise over even the smallest bumps. When I have an opened throttle sometimes it doesn't ( guess cause the chain is tighten when you open the throttle) but when for example git a pump when having closed throttle or when I pressing the clutch in it clunks. I tried everything even replace the chain and sprockets. The Kawasaki dealer where I went for a check drived it and said it's normal for Kawasaki z to make such a clucking noise over bumps. But it's too loud to be normal. I tried to adjust the chain at different positions:2mm-3mm and I'm in stock sprockets 16-42 but again the same. Does yours Z does the same ?is it really normal to be so loud ?

#4 ·
If anything it may slap the guard or if it’s excessive loose it may try to jump off the sprocket. If
Your tension is spec and sprockets are new you are probably not hearing your chain. I’d check the nuts and bolts on your shock, torque links, calipers etc.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello there , IT is like slapping sound but i dont know if that slapping sound should be that loud cause i ve never had a bike before thats why im asking here,Nuts and bolts on shock are alright , I've checked them ,and the noise is coming from lower rear left side , caliper has a little play by hand but as far as I checked this is normal and also I've tried to go over a bump pressing the rear brake pedal to eliminate that play and again the noise was there so it is not the caliper. Today I'm gonna remove the top chain cover as I ve watched it moving every time the noise happens and I ll test it . What are the torque links ? :/ Also when you are going over bumps with closed throttle or if you press your clutch when you hit a bump , you will hear you chain clunk ?

#6 · (Edited)
I've tried to remove the top chain cover but still. I made a photo off the chain slider cause maybe it is worn and it should be taller . Can someone with gen 3 send me a photo of the slider to compare with it . Thank you guys.( the distance between the chain and the slider is cause I raised the chain by hand to take the photo, just mentioning so it doesn't confuse you). For real I'm tired of this sh.., I've checked everything, cush drive, bearing, chain, sprockets, chain , caliper , new brake pads , remove the cover but I can't find where that f.. noise coming from. I will try to make video so you can hear it and identify the noise.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
So I did make the slider but the noise was worse. I think cause it doesn't fit on the swingarm 100% . The good thing is that finally I know for sure that the noise is from the chain hitting the chain slider. As I install it I noticed that the chain was to close to swing arm at the top of the slider and that got me worried. Is the 15 tooth the stock size indeed ? I did a search but couldn't find a solid answer . The noise is coming from the bottom side of the slider , the chain hits the slider in every bump but I can't say for sure if the noise is from the chain hitting the slider or the the slider hitting the swingarm ( cause it doesn't touch all the way the swingarm ). Can anyone with gen 3 please take a picture of your slider ?

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
excellent. Looks exactly like mine. I ve got an idea while looking your pics , maybe my rear shock need to be tighter so the swingarm doesn't have so much movement and touch the slider so hard ? Since I got the bike I didn't check the shock, and as I've been told ( I didnt saw him cause I bought the bike through a store ) the previous owner was a skinny guy , I'm 90kg. Check the shock in photos , can you understand if it's too loose ?
Auto part Vehicle Wheel Car Tire

#24 ·
I had the same thing with my 2008 z1000 I was told it will make a noise, because I changed the chain for an aftermarket one,all it was was were the chain was wearing on the gaurd, because the different sizes,not saiy it's definitely the problem,but it was mine....

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Check for movement,put it on a paddock stand and see if there's any play in the rear wheel,your looking at the top and bottom of that Suspention. That's where the bushes are... May work... Worth a look,but make sure you check it thuraly... Not saiying it is but it might be...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I ve checked all the wheel bearings, the silent blocks and everything inside the wheel.Today I noticed something, imagine the bike goes for example 60km with second gear on and hit a bump, the chain WON'T make any noise , BUT let's say again I go 60km but with higher gear for example 4th and hit the same bump it will clunk. I dont know if this helps you guys to identify whats wrong.Thank you all for your suggestion and replys , I really appreciate it.

#41 · (Edited)
So I got the rear wheel out and I change all the rear bearings( they were alright but replace them to be sure). I set the front sprocket free from the chain and spin it by hand back and forward , it spins perfectly with not even any noise , I also check If it has any play but it didnt , it's hard as a rock. When I put everything back I got the bike running and the chain jumps like before and I can feel some pumb when the jump happening.( see in the video when I touch the swing arm there i can feel the bump ). 1st of all is it possible that the front sprocket seems perfect by hand but when it has the load o the chain fails ? And second tomorrow I will reopen the axis again to find what causes the bump cause as I can feel it happens somewhere back.check the video and tell me if you can notice anything.(chain and sprockets are brand new! the old ones used to do the same thing)

The video https://youtu.be/3I-FKie28nE

#44 ·
Stop for one second.....stop buying parts and stop changing things and wastign money. Grab a cup of coffee, sit by the bike, and look at the chain and sprocket as a system. Theres not a thing wrong with your chain,sprocket, rear wheel, or anything shown in the video.

You have a brand new chain and sprocket that has not yet broken in. Over the first few miles, these wear into each other,and the mesh is smoother. Thats why you often times need to tighten a chain on a new bike, or one like this when you have replaced everything.

Look at that pad,on top of the swingarm. The one you tried to replace. Its there to protect the swingarm. That tells you that the chain can contact the guard,plain and simple. If they could get by without a protector, it would not be there. So, the chain contacting soemthign its supposed to contact cannot be considered a problem.

Your motorcycle is not electric powered. An electric motor generates constant power (in comparison). You are watching your motor way out of its normal operating range and the power pulses hit that chain and make it move a little. Its also a new chain and your master link is probably a little tight. That breaks in, too,given some time. Give the bike some more throttle and you'll see this smooth out. Still,it never gets perfectly smooth. If this motion bugs you, look at something shaft driven, or belt driven.

Look at this video if im smart enough to post the link. Watch this chain move. This is how it works. Why? It just is...

This is why Buell and some of the Harleys use belts to drive their machines, but we dont have that option.

You wont solve this because its not a real problem.

#46 ·
I love Bandicoot92's....whats the word Im looking for? It escapes me. He's dug into this system so far, he's now a professional regarding chains and sprockets. Most just dump it off to a dealer, and hope for the best.

I respect the hell out of someone who dives into something, that deep. Especially when its somethng hes never worked with before.

#50 ·
You re right and im really enjoying learning this beast :) .One last question, i know i became a pain in the *** and im sorry about that,I can hear a loud whine from the front sprocket since i change the chain and the sprocket(it starts whining after 2nd gear)(chain and sprockets are aftermarket but stock specs), as i read its normal to hear some whining,i ve checked the alignment and its all right,
is it possible that the front sprocket's bearing can cause the whining? Also do you know what are the symptoms of a front sprocket bearing failure? (As i found out one of them is the chain hitting the swingarm as it was unadjusted,thing i have now).When i had the rear wheel out and checked the sprocket it was spinning (by hand and with out the chain on it) perfectly,back and forward ,with out any difficulty. Thank you again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.