2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Chain noise over bumps

Hello , since I got the bike the chain makes clunking noise over even the smallest bumps. When I have an opened throttle sometimes it doesn't ( guess cause the chain is tighten when you open the throttle) but when for example git a pump when having closed throttle or when I pressing the clutch in it clunks. I tried everything even replace the chain and sprockets. The Kawasaki dealer where I went for a check drived it and said it's normal for Kawasaki z to make such a clucking noise over bumps. But it's too loud to be normal. I tried to adjust the chain at different positions:2mm-3mm and I'm in stock sprockets 16-42 but again the same. Does yours Z does the same ?is it really normal to be so loud ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Put in earplugs when you ride. If you can hear the chain, you're likely causing yourself hearing damage from wind noise at speed.

-Tinnitus
rcannon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Put in earplugs when you ride. If you can hear the chain, you're likely causing yourself hearing damage from wind noise at speed.

-Tinnitus

Thanks for the tip,but is yours chain too noisy over bumps too?

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
If anything it may slap the guard or if it’s excessive loose it may try to jump off the sprocket. If
Your tension is spec and sprockets are new you are probably not hearing your chain. I’d check the nuts and bolts on your shock, torque links, calipers etc.
JohnJuan likes this.

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #5 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
If anything it may slap the guard or if its excessive loose it may try to jump off the sprocket. If
Your tension is spec and sprockets are new you are probably not hearing your chain. Id check the nuts and bolts on your shock, torque links, calipers etc.
Hello there , IT is like slapping sound but i dont know if that slapping sound should be that loud cause i ve never had a bike before thats why im asking here,Nuts and bolts on shock are alright , I've checked them ,and the noise is coming from lower rear left side , caliper has a little play by hand but as far as I checked this is normal and also I've tried to go over a bump pressing the rear brake pedal to eliminate that play and again the noise was there so it is not the caliper. Today I'm gonna remove the top chain cover as I ve watched it moving every time the noise happens and I ll test it . What are the torque links ? :/ Also when you are going over bumps with closed throttle or if you press your clutch when you hit a bump , you will hear you chain clunk ?

Last edited by Bandicoot92; 07-12-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've tried to remove the top chain cover but still. I made a photo off the chain slider cause maybe it is worn and it should be taller . Can someone with gen 3 send me a photo of the slider to compare with it . Thank you guys.( the distance between the chain and the slider is cause I raised the chain by hand to take the photo, just mentioning so it doesn't confuse you). For real I'm tired of this sh.., I've checked everything, cush drive, bearing, chain, sprockets, chain , caliper , new brake pads , remove the cover but I can't find where that f.. noise coming from. I will try to make video so you can hear it and identify the noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190712_131610_1562927241625.jpg (110.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Bandicoot92; 07-12-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot92 View Post

I couldn't tell you. If I ever ride without earplugs, I'd swear the bike is falling apart all over.

post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't tell you. If I ever ride without earplugs, I'd swear the bike is falling apart all over.
Hahaha that's one way to solve the problems. Can you please tell me if the thickness of my slider is the same with yours? Thank you.
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hahaha that's one way to solve the problems. Can you please tell me if the thickness of my slider is the same with yours? Thank you.
Mine is about the same.

You're checking chain tension on the sidestand, right?

Chain slack should be aroiund 13-25 mm if I remember right. Check your owner's manual.

post #10 of 11 Old Today, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Mine is about the same.

You're checking chain tension on the sidestand, right?

Chain slack should be aroiund 13-25 mm if I remember right. Check your owner's manual.
Its 20-30mm .I'm going to make a chain slider with industrial plastic and a dremel. I ll try to keep photos of the project if anyone wants to do it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page