Chain noise over bumps - Page 5 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Ok cool. Pull the rear wheel and see what you see. Post photos!
So I got the rear wheel out and I change all the rear bearings( they were alright but replace them to be sure). I set the front sprocket free from the chain and spin it by hand back and forward , it spins perfectly with not even any noise , I also check If it has any play but it didnt , it's hard as a rock. When I put everything back I got the bike running and the chain jumps like before and I can feel some pumb when the jump happening.( see in the video when I touch the swing arm there i can feel the bump ). 1st of all is it possible that the front sprocket seems perfect by hand but when it has the load o the chain fails ? And second tomorrow I will reopen the axis again to find what causes the bump cause as I can feel it happens somewhere back.check the video and tell me if you can notice anything.(chain and sprockets are brand new! the old ones used to do the same thing)

The video https://youtu.be/3I-FKie28nE

Last edited by Bandicoot92; 08-13-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 08-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
I think I'm out of my depth here. This just looks to me like there isn't any tension on the chain. I'm not planning to take a photo of my bike running on the stand in gear.

/r/fixxit on reddit may have some good ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 54 Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
I think I'm out of my depth here. This just looks to me like there isn't any tension on the chain. I'm not planning to take a photo of my bike running on the stand in gear.

/r/fixxit on reddit may have some good ideas.

Anyway, thank you for everything.I will keep looking and i will update so if anyone has the same issue finds their answer.Ride safe.

post #44 of 54 Old 08-17-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Stop for one second.....stop buying parts and stop changing things and wastign money. Grab a cup of coffee, sit by the bike, and look at the chain and sprocket as a system. Theres not a thing wrong with your chain,sprocket, rear wheel, or anything shown in the video.

You have a brand new chain and sprocket that has not yet broken in. Over the first few miles, these wear into each other,and the mesh is smoother. Thats why you often times need to tighten a chain on a new bike, or one like this when you have replaced everything.

Look at that pad,on top of the swingarm. The one you tried to replace. Its there to protect the swingarm. That tells you that the chain can contact the guard,plain and simple. If they could get by without a protector, it would not be there. So, the chain contacting soemthign its supposed to contact cannot be considered a problem.

Your motorcycle is not electric powered. An electric motor generates constant power (in comparison). You are watching your motor way out of its normal operating range and the power pulses hit that chain and make it move a little. Its also a new chain and your master link is probably a little tight. That breaks in, too,given some time. Give the bike some more throttle and you'll see this smooth out. Still,it never gets perfectly smooth. If this motion bugs you, look at something shaft driven, or belt driven.

Look at this video if im smart enough to post the link. Watch this chain move. This is how it works. Why? It just is...

This is why Buell and some of the Harleys use belts to drive their machines, but we dont have that option.

You wont solve this because its not a real problem.
JohnJuan likes this.
post #45 of 54 Old 08-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Thank you so much, @rcannon.

Also, Get some earplugs!!!

These ones are awesome!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XJOLG

post #46 of 54 Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 AM

I love Bandicoot92's....whats the word Im looking for? It escapes me. He's dug into this system so far, he's now a professional regarding chains and sprockets. Most just dump it off to a dealer, and hope for the best.

I respect the hell out of someone who dives into something, that deep. Especially when its somethng hes never worked with before.
JohnJuan likes this.
post #47 of 54 Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I love Bandicoot92's....whats the word Im looking for? It escapes me. He's dug into this system so far, he's now a professional regarding chains and sprockets. Most just dump it off to a dealer, and hope for the best.

I respect the hell out of someone who dives into something, that deep. Especially when its somethng hes never worked with before.

Tenacity and drive.

Agreed. I think he knows more about the back half of the bike than me, and I've replaced my chain twice and probably adjusted it a dozen times or something.

post #48 of 54 Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Thank you very much guys for your suggestions and you patience. If only I had another z1000 gen 3 with so I could tell if that noise is normal or not. It's not bothering me as long as its normal. Any way it's my first bike ( I had a tmax 530 ) and the first time I ever touched a clutch so go easy on me 🙂 . I think I will buy the earplugs . Again I appreciate your help and I hope someday i can help you back with something else. Cheers. Ride safe .
rcannon likes this.
post #49 of 54 Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 AM

You did a great job as far as Im concerned. Its an important part of the bike, and important to safety as well.

A few weeks back you did not know much about the system, but you do now. Thats worth a lot.
post #50 of 54 Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
You did a great job as far as Im concerned. Its an important part of the bike, and important to safety as well.

A few weeks back you did not know much about the system, but you do now. Thats worth a lot.

You re right and im really enjoying learning this beast .One last question, i know i became a pain in the *** and im sorry about that,I can hear a loud whine from the front sprocket since i change the chain and the sprocket(it starts whining after 2nd gear)(chain and sprockets are aftermarket but stock specs), as i read its normal to hear some whining,i ve checked the alignment and its all right,
is it possible that the front sprocket's bearing can cause the whining? Also do you know what are the symptoms of a front sprocket bearing failure? (As i found out one of them is the chain hitting the swingarm as it was unadjusted,thing i have now).When i had the rear wheel out and checked the sprocket it was spinning (by hand and with out the chain on it) perfectly,back and forward ,with out any difficulty. Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page