Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

05 z1000 cutting out

10K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  KawaZed57 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have an 05 z1000 and the engine suddenly cuts out whilst riding, its only does it on hot days and longer rides, if I ride locally in my town it's never happened. The first longer ride this summer and it cut out at 50mph after about 30 miles as if I'd hit the kill switch, no warning signs, no spluttering etc and no FI codes are stored. I replaced the fuel pump motor and filter last year and thought that had fixed the problem but obviously hasn't.. I've replaced plugs, coils, air filter, battery, fitted a PC3. Any ideas guys ? Its very frustrating and potentially dangerous. Any ideas ? Thank you for reading.

#2 ·
Hi,
We haven't figured out our similar problem yet but we are starting to think it may be engine heat related. The bike coughed after about 2 hours on a cool day.
What we're going to try is these things.
Going to replace the Tip Over Switch
Going to wrap the ECU and Power Commander with that metal heat reflecting sheet. Maybe keep the engine heat away from the electronics.
Maybe disconnect the PC from the system.
I'll try to keep everyone posted on anything we find out.

Mad

#5 ·
Thanks mad, I've just put my bike back together after checking, cam and crank sensors, sidestand switch, fuel cap vent, and fuel pump relay. So far the only thing I've found wrong was my fuel line was routed incorrectly, backwards instead of forwards which I've now corrected.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree its heat related but finding what is overheating causing the engine to cut out isn't easy. Mine has only ever cut out on hot days and longer rides 30 miles plus. It can cut out at any speed or even at a red light. I have just bought some heat reflective tape to put on bottom of tank near fuel pump to keep it a bit cooler.

#7 ·
I have an 03 that's only given me one problem in the three years I've had it and it was very similar to yours. I was about 110 miles from home doing around 80 or so when it suddenly turned off like I had hit the kill switch. I coasted over to the shoulder thinking it was something minor. I had it towed back home and gone over by a mc mechanic friend of mine and after 3 days of checking everything out he couldn't find anything definitive wrong with it. It wouldn't start when he was trying to find the problem so he gave up for the night and when he came back in the next day it started up like nothing was wrong. It's ran perfectly since then but now I'm scared to go too far from home for fear of being stranded again.

#9 ·
I've found another possible solution on another Kawasaki forum. It involves turning over the reg/rec bracket like in the pic allowing a gap between the reg/rec and the plastic undertray, as its possibly overheating the ecu causing the bike to stall ?? Anyway this fixed the cutting out for the guy on the other forum. I take no credit for this idea.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I just joined this site and saw this thread. I have a 2007 Z1000, all stock except slip on cans. No tuner. I'm having the same problem. A couple of days ago I went on ride, did about 170 miles total. It was hot out and I was riding the bike pretty hard. The cutting out started happening toward the end of the day. Thinking about it tonight the cutting out happened while I was working the clutch, either getting going from a stop, feathering the clutch, or shifting into 2nd gear. I was able to start the bike right up when I pulled the clutch in and hit the start button. Could it be a bad clutch switch? Or does my clutch need adjustment? That wouldn't be the case if it's a heat issue though.

Someone suggested it was the side stand switch but I knew that wasn't it because the previous owner of the bike cut the cable. Today I changed the plugs and coolant. Don't think that's it either but I had to get it done anyway. BTW. Changing the plugs isn't as bad as some say. It's the 2 and 3 plugs that are a ***** to get to but once you remove the radiator cap assembly it's pretty easy. You just need a swivel spark plug socket.

Anyhow, I'll follow this thread and see if anyone comes up with a solution to this problem. I'll be going through my bike troubleshooting this weekend. If I come up with anything I'll post it on here.

#14 · (Edited)
Ok, so today I was checking/adjusting the idle on the bike. It idles at about 1000 RPM. Service manual says 900 to 1100. After I started it and let it warm up a minute or two I blipped the throttle and it stalled. Started it up again, blipped the throttle again a few times and it stalled again. So it seems that blipping the throttle on my ride the other day is what initiated the bike to stall. Question now is why it's stalling when I blip the throttle.

#18 ·
I don't see how increasing the idle speed would fix this problem. We wrapped the pump area, the underside of the tank and the fuel line with heat reflecting film. The rectifier is already fitted with spacers under the
rear fender. Although it does sit almost directly below the ECU.
So far it hasn't had a problem. However we haven't had enough hot weather to test it much. My son is working in Denver so the bike is with me. We'll see how it goes if we get some hotter
weather later this summer.

Mad

#19 ·
Any word on the heat wrap fixing the issue? I spaced my reg/rec a little further away from the plastic wall and it still cut out. I've read that heat affects the ecu and can make this happen as well. I'm not sure how hot it gets under there but I'm wondering if getting the ECU off of the plastic it sits on and getting a little air underneath it would help. Maybe wrap it in heat reflective mat and put some on the under side as well.

#21 ·
Hi Guys

I don't know if this will help but I had a Honda CB1300 that was cutting out only on hot days & I spent months trying to find out what it was, tried everything mentioned in these posts & the only thing I hadn't tried was checking the bikes computer so I bit the bullet & changed it & the problem stopped. hope this helps with the problem

#23 ·
I just had a 2020 Z1000R. I have had experiences with the engine cutting, at traffic lights and at 60kph. Having the engine cut while running is indeed dangerous and I just have the fear of banking into curves for thinking that the engine would be cut. I have heard about this issue years ago. I just thought that the new "R" version would have been detected this and should have repaired it, but it is still here. After the quarantine, I would try wrapping the ECU with a heatshield. I am from the Philippines and the climate here is pretty hot. Maybe you could just imagine how abrupt my engine cut would be when I hit the road for a ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.