User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 z1000 cutting out

Hi all, I have an 05 z1000 and the engine suddenly cuts out whilst riding, its only does it on hot days and longer rides, if I ride locally in my town it's never happened. The first longer ride this summer and it cut out at 50mph after about 30 miles as if I'd hit the kill switch, no warning signs, no spluttering etc and no FI codes are stored. I replaced the fuel pump motor and filter last year and thought that had fixed the problem but obviously hasn't.. I've replaced plugs, coils, air filter, battery, fitted a PC3. Any ideas guys ? Its very frustrating and potentially dangerous. Any ideas ? Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hi,
We haven't figured out our similar problem yet but we are starting to think it may be engine heat related. The bike coughed after about 2 hours on a cool day.
What we're going to try is these things.
Going to replace the Tip Over Switch
Going to wrap the ECU and Power Commander with that metal heat reflecting sheet. Maybe keep the engine heat away from the electronics.
Maybe disconnect the PC from the system.
I'll try to keep everyone posted on anything we find out.

Mad
post #3 of 22 Old 07-19-2018, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
gas cap venting ?

post #4 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz View Post
gas cap venting ?
Yes I've dismantled the cap and checked it over and also the overflow/vent tube? that attaches to under left side of tank isn't blocked.

post #5 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Hi,
We haven't figured out our similar problem yet but we are starting to think it may be engine heat related. The bike coughed after about 2 hours on a cool day.
What we're going to try is these things.
Going to replace the Tip Over Switch
Going to wrap the ECU and Power Commander with that metal heat reflecting sheet. Maybe keep the engine heat away from the electronics.
Maybe disconnect the PC from the system.
I'll try to keep everyone posted on anything we find out.

Mad
Thanks mad, I've just put my bike back together after checking, cam and crank sensors, sidestand switch, fuel cap vent, and fuel pump relay. So far the only thing I've found wrong was my fuel line was routed incorrectly, backwards instead of forwards which I've now corrected.

post #6 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I agree its heat related but finding what is overheating causing the engine to cut out isn't easy. Mine has only ever cut out on hot days and longer rides 30 miles plus. It can cut out at any speed or even at a red light. I have just bought some heat reflective tape to put on bottom of tank near fuel pump to keep it a bit cooler.

Last edited by z1kIan; 07-23-2018 at 05:20 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have an 03 that's only given me one problem in the three years I've had it and it was very similar to yours. I was about 110 miles from home doing around 80 or so when it suddenly turned off like I had hit the kill switch. I coasted over to the shoulder thinking it was something minor. I had it towed back home and gone over by a mc mechanic friend of mine and after 3 days of checking everything out he couldn't find anything definitive wrong with it. It wouldn't start when he was trying to find the problem so he gave up for the night and when he came back in the next day it started up like nothing was wrong. It's ran perfectly since then but now I'm scared to go too far from home for fear of being stranded again.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtat2 View Post
I have an 03 that's only given me one problem in the three years I've had it and it was very similar to yours. I was about 110 miles from home doing around 80 or so when it suddenly turned off like I had hit the kill switch. I coasted over to the shoulder thinking it was something minor. I had it towed back home and gone over by a mc mechanic friend of mine and after 3 days of checking everything out he couldn't find anything definitive wrong with it. It wouldn't start when he was trying to find the problem so he gave up for the night and when he came back in the next day it started up like nothing was wrong. It's ran perfectly since then but now I'm scared to go too far from home for fear of being stranded again.
Hi, yes I'm the same, I won't go on long rides or use motorways due to the fear of it cutting out. Mine usually starts up after it stalled but I need to turn ignition off then on again but once its cut out I just want to get home asap.

Last edited by z1kIan; 07-25-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 22 Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I've found another possible solution on another Kawasaki forum. It involves turning over the reg/rec bracket like in the pic allowing a gap between the reg/rec and the plastic undertray, as its possibly overheating the ecu causing the bike to stall ?? Anyway this fixed the cutting out for the guy on the other forum. I take no credit for this idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70A70F77-966D-4820-AB3F-2BABCEB89E5C_1532305874444.jpg (149.5 KB, 15 views)
post #10 of 22 Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 PM

I have this same issue. You'd think by now someone would've figured it out. I'm leaning toward a faulty fuel pump relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page