Struggling to find neutral gear - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have the same problem with my 10' zed, but only when the engine is cold like in the first 5 minutes or so of riding, after the rpms have settled down to normal temperature levels i can shift to neutral easily if i want when coming to a stop, but normally i prefer to keep the bike in first gear at the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Garage
Changed my oil today and my trans feels a lot better. No more issues finding neutral and shifts better.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"It's not a party until someone throws up on a stripper."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-17-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
What oil did you have, and what did you switch to?

This points more towards a dry clutch issue vs a real oil problem. WHY? How about this?

Notice when you pour oil in. At that point, oil pours in, right on top of the clutch.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I was running yamalube 10-40 since yamaha is just down the road from me. But now that break in is over I switched to Rotella T6 5-40

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
I was running yamalube 10-40 since yamaha is just down the road from me. But now that break in is over I switched to Rotella T6 5-40

Why 5-40? I run 10-40 in everything I own. Just curious. Maybe its a cooler on avg where you live. Here heat protection is usually a bigger concern than how well an engine self lubricates at "cold" temps.

'03 Z
post #16 of 21 Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Because that's the only weight they sell T6 in.

We go from the single digits to 110 degrees every year. Lots of people run T6 without issue and it's cheaper/easier to get than mobil 1 4T so I figured I'd give it a shot.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
I've heard this about T6 too. Will try that next oil change. ...just purchased Yamalube - right down the road here too (5 mins)

_____
bone stock. sorta.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I ran into an issue for the first time today. I was in 1st at a light and wanted neutral. It went straight to second instead of hitting the positive neutral finder.

I put it back in first, tried again and it went straight to second again. So I was like WTF?!?! Put it back in first, eased the clutch out some to bog the engine against the brakes.

Pulled the clutch back in, shifted up again and hit the PNF and it stayed in neutral. I guess sometimes it hangs and doesn't do it's thing. Roll it a little with the clutch and it should work for you.
Is there any chance for PNF to be broken or something ? Because for with my gen 3 it's not difficult to find neutral if you don't press to hard up from first , but if give a little more push nothing stops me to go to second gear . To be honest I never felt PNF do it's job , I'm just trying to smoothly go up to neutral my self.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
I ran into an issue for the first time today. I was in 1st at a light and wanted neutral. It went straight to second instead of hitting the positive neutral finder.

I put it back in first, tried again and it went straight to second again. So I was like WTF?!?! Put it back in first, eased the clutch out some to bog the engine against the brakes.

Pulled the clutch back in, shifted up again and hit the PNF and it stayed in neutral. I guess sometimes it hangs and doesn't do it's thing. Roll it a little with the clutch and it should work for you.

Is there any chance for PNF to be broken or something ? Because with my gen 3 it's not difficult to find neutral if you don't press to hard up from first , but if give a little more push nothing stops me to go to second gear . To be honest I never felt PNF do it's job , I'm just trying to smoothly go up to neutral my self.

Last edited by Bandicoot92; 04-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i have gen 4 that little hard to change from 1st gear to neutral comparing to yamaha fz8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page